Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO aired Floyds fights for years, why not Rigos?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO aired Floyds fights for years, why not Rigos?

I was just curious if anyone has any idea as to why HBO refused (although ive heard they are close to reaching an agreement) to air anymore of Guillermo Rigondeaux's fights. I know to an uneducated boxing fan who has no appreciation of the sweet science it may be boring to watch. But to people who like to watch a master of the sport at his best then I don't think there is another fighter today who can put on a boxing display like Rigo. If HBO's argument is that he's too defensive minded to be an attraction then look no further than Floyd Mayweather. Hes the biggest ppv or 2nd biggest im not exactly sure of REAL numbers and hes a defensive master. So why not allow Rigo to make the kind of money that he deserves bc as I said before he is UNREAL when it comes to the science and I for one feel lucky to be able to watch such a master at work.

Maybe after watch Floyd leave for Showtime they don't want o build him up to leave; the real problem is he beat guy who they was hoping was there next cashcow in Donaire and quite easily at that.

Comment

Not even a close comparison. Floyd was a young flashy US Olympian. Go watch his fight with Manfreddy and see if he reminds you of Rigo.

Comment

Defensive-minded Cubans are boring. The Americans are geniuses.

Comment

HBO might still be butt hurt over rigo beating their golden ticket!!!

Comment

Floyd was quite a fan friendly fighter back in the day. And when he wasnt, he was a superstar.

Comment

There's a big difference between the two men outside the ring though. Floyd has marketed himself over the years and created a persona that people either loathe or love. Rigo, on the other hand, doesn't speak English but fights in the US. That makes it hard for some fans to connect with him. Another problem is that Rigo competes in a division that many people don't care about.

Also, prior to the “money” image I believe HBO did put pressure on Floyd to be more exciting in his fights. He responded by trying to be more aggressive in certain fights (Corley, N'dou).

Comment

Because he has no fan base to wanna see him win or lose. You have to consider the haters a part of your fan base. They pay the bills

Comment

Originally posted by Thornton Melon View Post
                  Not even a close comparison. Floyd was a young flashy US Olympian. Go watch his fight with Manfreddy and see if he reminds you of Rigo.
                  this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

floyd earned his stripes

i do think its bullcrap that hbo wont air rigo,,, he is a great boxer

Comment

Floyd had no fan base but he was pretty exciting back in the day. Back then I actually looked forward to Floyd's mismatches.

Rigo is the kind of guy that can get dropped by anyone and exposed by anyone. He's struggled with cab drivers.

If I was HBO why would I invest in a guy who fights a style of amateur boxing and has no bright future ahead of him?

Comment

Working...
                    X