Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person who believes that a fighter isn't "scared"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only a handful can pick who they want to fight. Floyd, Klitschko bros, and now Cotto, etc.

You're naive if you think Donaire, Alvarez, Broner, Trout, Berto, Garcia, etc., have been the ones picking their own fights. They're at the mercy of their managers, promoters, networks...

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
      Only a handful can pick who they want to fight. Floyd, Klitschko bros, and now Cotto, etc.

You're naive if you think Donaire, Alvarez, Broner, Trout, Berto, Garcia, etc., have been the ones picking their own fights. They're at the mercy of their managers, promoters, networks...
      Exactly my point. Promoters. If fighters had all the power and still didn't fight certain fights, then yes, we could consider that a duck. But like you said they don't have the power, yet are still accused of being "scared."

Comment

Originally posted by happyman View Post
        No, there's some fighters who are actually scared of other fighters.

For instance Floyd was scared of Margarito, Pacquiao and a few others.

I think Garcia is scared of Mattyhsse.
        I'm exhausted with the Mayweather's scared business, but I will defend Garcia. The kid doesn't seem scared in the least. The fact is that his latest wins have created a light for his path. Though I really like the Matthysse matchup, Lucas is lost in the glare of young Danny's shine. Mathysse is bad luck chuck. Taking Zab over him is the smart business decision and that's all.

Comment

Like Mayweather said on Quite Frankly. Who is Margarito. What has he done to fight me . You can ask this crowd who Margarito is and no one will know but you ask who Mosley and Oscar are and they know these guys. But Mosley doesn't want to fight me.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
            Am I the only one who thinks that when fighter A doesn't fight fighter B, it isn't automatically ducking and dodging? I mean, every single fighter is apparently ducking some other fighter according to this forum. Cotto is ducking Sergio. Sergio is ducking GGG. Donaire is ducking Mares/Rigo. Mayweather is ducking Pac/Canelo/Martinez. Garcia is ducking Rios. Canelo is ducking Trout. There are so many more reasons why these fights don't take place other than "they're scared". Negotiations exists and fall through over weights, money, settings and network. Promoters beef with each other. Those reasons just makes more logical sense then a fighter being scared to fight. I mean it's their job. People tend to think that the most experienced fighters are the ones that are scared. Or the ones at the top are the ones that are scared. No. The guy at the top has no other choice but to fight lesser opponents than himself. And that guy has options of lesser opponents. If he picks option A, then he is ducking option B and C. I think it's ******ed to think a person who works in an office, cooks in a kitchen, flip burgers at Mcdonalds, or whatever for a living can say a person who fights for a living is scared.
            You are correct. You are a fight fan. You understand. The butthurt Pac and Margarito fans came into this sport thinking fighters are scared of each other. They are not fight fans. They are rockem sockem robot fans. they don't appreciate boxers and what they do. That's why I can't stand them mother****ers, and i'm glad that they are all butthurt over their hero's being embarrassed by Marquez and Shane.

Comment

FEAR is one of the most powerful emotions. Why shouldn't pro fighters possess this form of emotion sometimes in some situations, just like any 'normal' person would. A soldier going to war can be scared, as can a man going into a fight, even if it's his job. Fighters are undoubtedly more fearless than the average person, but it doesn't mean they cannot be scared. For example, I believe many of Mike Tyson's opponents were afraid of stepping into the ring with Iron Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post
                Like Mayweather said on Quite Frankly. Who is Margarito. What has he done to fight me . You can ask this crowd who Margarito is and no one will know but you ask who Mosley and Oscar are and they know these guys. But Mosley doesn't want to fight me.
                ummm no kid, you must have missed the footage of margarito approaching floyd in person asking him to fight. floyd wouldn't even let go of his hand because he was so nervous.

Comment

“I'm scared every time I go into the ring, but it's how you handle it."

Mike Tyson

Comment

The Reasoning Of Children.....

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
                    Am I the only one who thinks that when fighter A doesn't fight fighter B, it isn't automatically ducking and dodging? I mean, every single fighter is apparently ducking some other fighter according to this forum. Cotto is ducking Sergio. Sergio is ducking GGG. Donaire is ducking Mares/Rigo. Mayweather is ducking Pac/Canelo/Martinez. Garcia is ducking Rios. Canelo is ducking Trout. There are so many more reasons why these fights don't take place other than "they're scared". Negotiations exists and fall through over weights, money, settings and network. Promoters beef with each other. Those reasons just makes more logical sense then a fighter being scared to fight. I mean it's their job. People tend to think that the most experienced fighters are the ones that are scared. Or the ones at the top are the ones that are scared. No. The guy at the top has no other choice but to fight lesser opponents than himself. And that guy has options of lesser opponents. If he picks option A, then he is ducking option B and C. I think it's ******ed to think a person who works in an office, cooks in a kitchen, flip burgers at Mcdonalds, or whatever for a living can say a person who fights for a living is scared.
                    Your post is too reasonable to really exist on this site because it's been established by the more simpleminded and shallow that fighters "duck" other fighters. The fact that such a term is employed to refer to men that make their living the way that they do is at the height of disrespect but what do some fans care anyway huh? A shallow person looks at surface facts, they don't get under the surface to find "reasons" why things happen or don't because reasons only get in the way of their prejudices and rank ignorance. As a rule of thumb, fans that employ this term aren't very bright, they make sweeping generalizations about complex facts, and clog up this forum with pointless threads.

The simple and clear logic you're using is utterly beyond the comprehension of some. Economics determines what fighters fight each other, not fear. But looking at the cold calculus of the sport isn't as sexy as saying one fighter is terrified of another. I think for some, fear is their only tool to ridicule someone they don't like, it's childish but then again, so are a lot of sports fans.
                    Last edited by Slip Stream; 12-27-2012, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
                      Your post is too reasonable to really exist on this site because it's been established by the more simpleminded and shallow that fighters "duck" other fighters. The fact that such a term is employed to refer to men that make their living the way that they do is at the height of disrespect but what do some fans care anyway huh? A shallow person looks at surface facts, they don't get under the surface to find "reasons" why things happen or don't because reasons only get in the way of their prejudices and rank ignorance. As a rule of thumb, fans that employ this term aren't very bright, they make sweeping generalizations about complex facts, and clog up this forum with pointless threads.

The simple and clear logic you're using is utterly beyond the comprehension of some. Economics determines what fighters fight each other, not fear. But looking at the cold calculus of the sport isn't as sexy as saying one fighter is terrified of another. I think for some, fear is their only tool to ridicule someone they don't like, it's childish but then again, so are a lot of sports fans.

The classic line is a fat arm chair critic is calling a professional boxer a coward. A pro boxer even if he legitimately ducks another fighter still cannot be considered a coward.

Comment

Working...
                      X