No announcement yet.

Canelo won't fight GGG at 155

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo won't fight GGG at 155

Seems like people only read the headline. Canelo the fighter would fight GGG. Golden Boy ain't letting it happen and HBO ain't to keen on it happening either. And I just read the WBC is starting to make concessions also by talking about a card with both of them on it in May and the fight in September.

I've been thinking about this all day. There's to much money to be lost. Canelo is Golden Boy an HBO's biggest draw. I laughed and clowned GGG's PPV numbers (I bought the fight) but in hindsight that was the worst thing to possible happen when it comes to making this fight. If GGG could've done a respectable number against a no-name Lemieux, 300k or so, that would've shown HBO he has what it takes to be a draw on his own. Canelo's 2 PPV's without Mayweather were 350k and 300k against Angulo and Lara. Canelo against Kirkland sold out a baseball stadium and got 2 mil viewers on HBO. It's clear Canelo is the biggest draw and GGG is far behind him. There is no way Golden Boy and the new regime at HBO are going to feed their breadwinner to GGG at any weight. It doesn't make financial sense and this is a business first. HBO wouldn't bid for Kovalev and won't allow him to fight on PBC and he can't draw flies to ****. Ain't no way in hell they're allowing their only draw to be defeated and possibly humiliated.
    Last edited by about.thousands; 11-25-2015, 07:24 PM. Reason: First paragraph

It's a pretty even fight at 155. No reason for Canelo to run from it and I don't see any basis for your argument. If Canelo was protected, what was he put in there with Lara??? There is NO benefit in fighting Lara other than proving yourself as a fighter.

Comment

Yes he would fight him at 155, why not? he has nothing to lose to be honest.

Comment

I cant believe someone is supporting canelo weight, what a bunch of hypocrite

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          It's a pretty even fight at 155. No reason for Canelo to run from it and I don't see any basis for your argument. If Canelo was protected, what was he put in there with Lara??? There is NO benefit in fighting Lara other than proving yourself as a fighter.
          Oscar didn't want Canelo to fight Lara. Canelo took that fight. That fight did nothing to prove Canelo as a fighter. That's his most controversial win. That was also a different Golden Boy. They had a stable of fighters and they were promoting Floyd on a fight by fight basis. The cupboard is bare. Canelo is all they have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Oscar badly didn't want that fight and with how it played out....... you can see why.

Canelo got the "win" though.............. he gained a lot from it.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
              Oscar didn't want Canelo to fight Lara. Canelo took that fight. That fight did nothing to prove Canelo as a fighter. That's his most controversial win. That was also a different Golden Boy. They had a stable of fighters and they were promoting Floyd on a fight by fight basis. The cupboard is bare. Canelo is all they have now.
              And Lara isn't exactly a monster. All Lara will do is outbox you. GGG will kill you.

Canelo has much to lose against GGG. Like his career.

Comment

Seems like people only read the headline. Canelo the fighter would fight GGG. Golden Boy ain't letting it happen and HBO ain't to keen on it happening either. And I just read the WBC is starting to make concessions also by talking about a card with both of them on it in May and the fight in September.

I've been thinking about this all day. There's to much money to be lost. Canelo is Golden Boy an HBO's biggest draw. I laughed and clowned GGG's PPV numbers (I bought the fight) but in hindsight that was the worst thing to possible happen when it comes to making this fight. If GGG could've done a respectable number against a no-name Lemieux, 300k or so, that would've shown HBO he has what it takes to be a draw on his own. Canelo's 2 PPV's without Mayweather were 350k and 300k against Angulo and Lara. Canelo against Kirkland sold out a baseball stadium and got 2 mil viewers on HBO. It's clear Canelo is the biggest draw and GGG is far behind him. There is no way Golden Boy and the new regime at HBO are going to feed their breadwinner to GGG at any weight. It doesn't make financial sense and this is a business first. HBO wouldn't bid for Kovalev and won't allow him to fight on PBC and he can't draw flies to ****. Ain't no way in hell they're allowing their only draw to be defeated and possibly humiliated.
                I agree with that. It's not in HBO's best interest to do the Canelo/GGG fight in 2016. Canelo gets destroyed by GGG, GGG doesn't become a mega star but Canelo loses his momentum towards becoming one and HBO is left with no flag-ship. As a fan, I'd rather see Canelo develop more before challenging the MW champ.

Comment

Since you said he won't fight GGG it must be true.

Comment

That fight did nothing to prove Canelo as a fighter.
                    False. The most mainstream example I can give is that Canelo was praised on Saturday by Kellerman for being a guy who fights anyone, and the example he used was Lara. Most people feel the same way. If he didn't beat Lara, or even fight him, that would be a huge cloud following him around.

Comment

Working...
                    X