Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did GGG not fight Ward the lineal champ at 168 but choose Chavez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Money, easier style. No other reason.

GGG fans defended him when Martinez turned him down for more popular names, more money, and similar pay checks to fight an easier style. I told them, every fighter is the same, you just have to present that opportunity to them. I'm not even mad at GGG choosing Chavez Jr over Ward, I understand completely that Ward = less money, a sure loss/difficult style. Although he's as big as Chavez Jr, he's too good, too fast for his size.

Martinez put in work against Williams 2x, Pavlik, Cintron, Dzinzuruk, Macklin, Barker before he finally got the money fight he was chasing for years with Chavez Jr. GGG basically will get the JCC Jr fight handed to him compared to what Martinez had to go through. Stevens, Macklin, Ishida, Proksa, Rosado? Pfft, dude had it easy.
    Not to be a stickler, but who the **** was Dzinziruk before Martinez fought him? He was even more unknown with really no big names under his belt. He had a reputation of never being knocked down in the pros or amateurs but what else? I've always liked Martinez but when people say (not saying you did), Golovkin hasn't earned a shot at Martinez, how can they defend against him fighting someone like Dzinzurik? I just want the best fights but it's arguments like that that get under my skin.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      GGG is in his 1st weight class,Floyd is in his 5th...Floyd moved from his 1st weight class and went straight for the lineal champion Castillo
      You must also realize that GGG started 5 years after Mayweather did at the same age and GGG doesnt have any problems making weight at MW.

So now you are content with Mayweather's mediocracy and he should never challenge himself again?

Comment

• HBO is clearly setting up GGG-Ward for early 2015, possibly even late 2014. A win over Chavez should boost his value a bit and if he beats Martinez later in the year then you have the makings of a super-fight with Ward. I don't doubt for a second that this fight will happen. But I am concerned about Ward's inactivity in the months leading up to it.

Comment

• it wouldn't make sense for them to fight now. ggg's team is smart by letting the fight build up first. let him spark the best fighters at 168 first then let those 2 face by 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            HBO is clearly setting up GGG-Ward for early 2015, possibly even late 2014. A win over Chavez should boost his value a bit and if he beats Martinez later in the year then you have the makings of a super-fight with Ward. I don't doubt for a second that this fight will happen. But I am concerned about Ward's inactivity in the months leading up to it.
            I think the plan is for next year, both sides keep talking about "the future" with this fight, but if 160 keeps turning Golovkin down then it might happen this year. HBO doesn't want to make it so quickly, but there isn't going to be much a choice if no one else will fight the man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zano-24 View Post
              Except Mayweather did it twice at 154... Cotto was the best fighter at 154 when he fought him. Oscar was the best fighter at 154 when Mayweather fought him if I recall.
              Come on, Cotto hasnt been the best in any weight division for some time now.

Oscar wasnt the best at LMW when Floyd fought him, it was his second fight there once he moved down from MW.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                I think the plan is for next year, both sides keep talking about "the future" with this fight, but if 160 keeps turning Golovkin down then it might happen this year. HBO doesn't want to make it so quickly, but there isn't going to be much a choice if no one else will fight the man.
                Agreed. But what the hell is Ward doing in the meantime??

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Agreed. But what the hell is Ward doing in the meantime??
                  I ask myself that every time his name comes up. Last I heard he's suing his promoter again, but I don't know if that's happening still.

Comment

Working...
                  X