No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Promotions, ESPN Announce Multi-Year TV Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    FNF was on ESPN2 but clearly the press release says it's being replaced by PBC on ESPN a monthly series which after 1 year PBC couldn't produce so they went and got a replacement that could. At this rate who knows when or if Haymon will ever use the remaining air time dates he bought from ESPN. Can point to numerous press releases from PBC stating fights on dates for various networks that were either pushed back or canceled all together. But ESPN don't have to worry about that they already got paid and got someone else in the meantime to give them boxing content.
    You are mistaken dude.

ESPN is still doing cards with PBC. ESPN2 and ESPN deportes are doing cards with GBP.

You are acting as if GBP is replacing PBC on ESPN, which isn't the case. GBP will not air on ESPN and PBC will not air on ESPN2/Deportes.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      Huge move for Golden Boy. It was clear ESPN was going to be cutting ties with PBC and now Golden Boy is grabbing the TV deal. PBC only has a few more fights they are owed as part of their time buy the person who made the deal to bring PBC to ESPN has been fired. It's been a long time since Haymon sent them any relevant fights because he knows the writing is on the wall and they will not pay for PBC.

Golden Boy already have R!ngTV live so they have their production team, they know how to put on these shows. Prior to R!ngTV they had Golden Boy on FS1 which draws the SAME ratings as PBC on FS1 but at a fraction of the cost. This is basically bring back Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 which went away when Haymon bought the airtime for PBC.
      Yeah, this is a huge deal for GBP.

GBP had definitely fallen since the Schaefer/Haymon split, so this is a big step back for them.

18 fight cards this year, 24 in 2018...that's a huge television commitment, plus with all the extra programming like "In the Ring" and "Mano-A-Mano" they'll have a huge presence on ESPN networks.

With that said, we've been here before with these tv announcements (with the PBC) and we've seen what's happened to some of them.

So it'll be interesting to see what happens with these cards...what sponsors they have, what size the budgets are, how good the match-making is, etc.

One thing I will say is, there were a lot of people who didn't think GBP could do a deal like this without Richard Schaefer.

That GBP got this deal done seems like a big statement about where they are now post-Schaefer...but again, let's see how this looks a year from now, two years from now.

Comment

• The more boxing the better in my book. What's with fans of companies? It's a really disturbing trend.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          You are mistaken dude.

ESPN is still doing cards with PBC. ESPN2 and ESPN deportes are doing cards with GBP.

You are acting as if GBP is replacing PBC on ESPN, which isn't the case. GBP will not air on ESPN and PBC will not air on ESPN2/Deportes.
          I don't think they get it. This is a great deal for boxing. But, in spite of their pathetic wishes, it doesn't signal the death of PBC which will have cards on ESPN this year 😐

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
            This is a lie.
            There is a big difference between being wrong and lying. Lying is when you say something you know is false. Maybe he is just wrong...important difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Exactly.

Since their press release clearly outlines the ESPN cards in 2017.

Since the same article dunny linked says they are moving dates.

But no, they aren't gonna happen at all. They're just out of money and everyone is lying.
              Again, it was supposed to be a two-year deal with 24 fight cards, occurring monthly.

They still have fight cards left, but this wasn't some shift from having them "monthly" to having them over the summer months, which would have been a "change in dates".

Instead, they drastically reduced the number of fight cards they're having each year.

And the budgets were slashed and the ratings have dropped.

But yeah, just a change in dates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                Again, it was supposed to be a two-year deal with 24 fight cards, occurring monthly.

They still have fight cards left, but this wasn't some shift from having them "monthly" to having them over the summer months. That's a change in dates.

Instead, they drastically reduced the number of fight cards they're having each year.

And the budgets were slashed and the ratings have dropped.

But yeah, just a change in dates.
                Drastically cut? Is that why they have...TWELVE ESPN cards scheduled for 2017?

Comment

• So who is going to be the broadcast team? I hope Doug Fischer gets to provide some commentary!

Comment

• Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                    Friday Night Fights was on ESPN2 right? i dont remember
                    It was on ESPN2, but I think that years ago it was on ESPN.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      I don't think they get it. This is a great deal for boxing. But, in spite of their pathetic wishes, it doesn't signal the death of PBC which will have cards on ESPN this year 😐
                      That was my thought and everyone on NSB knows I hate Fishnets dela Coka.

I like being able to watch boxing on Thurs and Friday and see guys I otherwise might miss.

Crazy huh?

Comment

Working...
                      X