No announcement yet.

Martinez vs Chavez Jr : that 12th round is a problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martinez vs Chavez Jr : that 12th round is a problem

I am by no means a Chavez Jr fan, I was rooting for Martinez and I really enjoyed watching him school the spoiled brat for 11 rounds. The real champion got his belt back, he got the fame and recognition, and the hypejob is now beltless and disgraced. That's all I wanted, the fight restored some sanity in boxing.

With that being said, what happened in that final round is important. I've seen a lot of people dismiss that round or sweep it under the rug, either blinded by their love of Martinez or their hatred of Chavez Jr. Saying things like "one round does't matter" "Martinez just got careless" or "Chavez Jr couldn't finish him, neener-neener". People too happy about the result and not willing to look into the details of that result.

Martinez got hit by 37 power punches in a single round, that is a problem. If Chavez Jr was a great fighter I wouldn't hold it against Martinez but he's not. He's a decent fighter at best who wins his fights because he enjoys a 20 lb advantage over his opponents. He's not fast, he's not accurate and he's not very skilled. He threw basic punches from regular angles and most of them landed flush, that is a problem. Martinez got hurt and dropped but instead of clinching, moving away or moving his head, he just stood there like a deer in the headlights and threw some flicking jabs while Chavez was snapping his head from side to side with power shots. The usually inaccurate Chavez had a hard time missing him. That is a problem.

Forget who you like/dislike, forget which countries these guys are from, just block all that stuff out, watch the 12th round again and tell me if it's just a little mishap that needs to be forgotten :

Last edited by Light_Speed; 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM.

Notice how sergio crawled towards the ring post and needed them ropes to stand up. That for me is being in a queer street.

Question is would he be able to avoid that kind of situation if ever there's a rematch? you're guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Martinez wanted to finish Chavez, thats why he threw 108 punches in round 11 and started like that in the 12th again.
      Without that happening Chavez would've never had the chance to land.

Apart from that Martinez didn't do enough sparring and working on his headmovement.
      Plus he gets older and his reflects begin to dimish.

Comment

I don't understand how Jr. himself or the people around him feel like that's a sense of accomplishment, when it really isn't. If Chavez couldn't at least do that then he's one pathetic cruiser weight. I understand where your getting at to an extent, but I'd say there is a major difference between getting rocked by a fighter around your size or one significantly bigger, I think that's what caused Martinez to react the way he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerwas1 View Post
          Martinez wanted to finish Chavez, thats why he threw 108 punches in round 11 and started like that in the 12th again.
          Without that happening Chavez would've never had the chance to land.

Apart from that Martinez didn't do enough sparring and working on his headmovement.
          Plus he gets older and his reflects begin to dimish.
          "reflexes begins to diminish". Is that an excuse or what? he won. Sergio doesn't need any excuses.

Comment

you are over analysing things. Martinez outclassed a cruiserweight for 11 rounds and then got caught by that same cruiserweight and survived. if chavez was a middleweight, he couldnt even have hurt Martinez like that, just like Chavez wouldnt have hurt Andy Lee without a weight advantage.

Comment

Like I said before, as a boxing fan, I expected Martinez to do what he did to Chavez, so basically I wasn't overwhelmed or overly amazed by his performance at all,but ofcourse I'm happy for him, but yes the 12th round definitely said something and I was really excited in that round, the lazy spoiled brat was suddenly winning. Im still disappointed though that martinez didn't push for the KO liked what he had promised, which I think he really could've done if he tried harder, instead he boxed chavez got tired in the 12th and almost got KOed.

Comment

What you have to remember is that Martinez was running on fumes come the 12th round. He was constantly moving and punching non stop for the entire 11 rounds and was pretty gassed by the 12th. Yes Jr decided to finally open up in the 12th but there would have been a good chance that him opening up earlier would have resulted in Sergio catching him clean as well. I dont put much stock in that 12th round given the fact that Sergio had 11 rounds in the bank and could have taken the 12th off and coasted. Instead he did a very courageous yet stupid thing by attempting to bang toe to toe with a much bigger stronger fighter while gassed. Jr was embarrased the entire fight. A 12th round flurry isnt enough to make up for him getting thoroughly outclassed for 11rnds.
                Last edited by Deevel916; 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  What you have to remember is that Martinez was running on fumes come the 12th round. He was constantly moving and punching non stop for the entire 11 rounds and was pretty gassed by the 12th. Yes Jr decided to finally open up in the 12th but there would have been a good chance that him opening up would have resulted in Sergio catching him clean as well. I dont put much stock in that 12th round given the fact that Sergio had 11 rounds in the bank and could have taken the 12th off and coasted. Instead he did a very courageous yet stupid thing by attempting to bang toe to toe with a much bigger stronger fighter while gassed. Jr was embarrased the entire fight. A 12th round flurry isnt enough to make up for him getting thoroughly outclassed for 11rnds.
                  this is true

Comment

People need to stop call Chavez a cruiserweight.
                    Yes he weighted above light heavyweight on fight night, but so does a lot of super middle weights, what he really is.

Martinez is a small middleweight, weighting a little bit more than some sww
                    Chavez is a super middleweight

Comment

Working...
                    X