Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Did No One Complain When De La Hoya Forced Hopkins To A 156 Pound Catchweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
    Oscar said he was in the best shape of his life for the Manny fight as well..and Manny and Roach said they were going to ko Floyd and it was a easier fight then Oscar...
    that was PREFIGHT.

post fight stories changed.

lalonde has said the weight wasn't a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzalez_Boxing View Post
      Probably because most of these fans weren't around the sport that long.

Fighters know the risk of taking a catch weight and they weigh it against the rewards. If the reward wasn't worth it, they sure as he'll wouldn't be taking the risk. Funny thing is the fans complain more than the fighters.
      Precisely this. Catchweights aren't something I particularly admire, particularly for title fights, but so long as both fighters are happy to sign the contract then I don't see why anyone should complain. Fighters move up and down all the time, for various reasons. Catchweights just enable certain fights to be made that would otherwise be impossible.

My only concern is that they start to become a rule rather than an exception. That, and the despicable practice of fighters deliberately coming in over weight. The traditional weight classes have already been diluted enough. Any further dilution and they risk becoming irrelevant altogether.

Comment

TS getting owned ha
        Oscar was the money man but he fought there twice and went back down. Cotto is holding th belt hostage and asking for a fawking CW against Gaele for fawks sake

Comment

Anyone complaining about cw, shouldn't watch THAT fight! I don't like or hate them! If a fighter excepts those terms, that's on him.
          Just don't complain after the fight. Only the smaller fighter/bigger draw can demand a cw. If Two fighters agree to a cw and one of them is hurting himself to make the weight, then maybe he should be fighting bigger guys anyhow! That just shows you how much these boxers fight for $!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
            TS getting owned ha
            Oscar was the money man but he fought there twice and went back down. Cotto is holding th belt hostage and asking for a fawking CW against Gaele for fawks sake
            was sturm at CW?

i remember oscar looking fat sturm fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              was sturm at CW?

i remember oscar looking fat sturm fight.
              Not sure but he was chubby in that fight and he lost too

Comment

Not sure but he was chubby in that fight and he lost too
                sturm couldn't miss with that jab

Comment

TS getting owned ha
                  I will give the TS Credit. He has 4 Balls. 2 balls down below, and Cotto's balls in his mouth.

At least when this TS gets owned, he doesn't put people on Ignore like how Freedom does.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    The catchweight for De La Hoya vs Hopkins was actually 157lbs, Hopkins came in at 156lbs to show that he is not that big of a MW and prove a point. He easily made 156, a pound less than the catchweight, and made it looking healthy.
                    /thread please

Comment

Actually it was 158 that Hopkins had to come in at or under, not 156. I think it was before I joined this board. It was keep quite and many people didn't know Hopkins had to make 158 or be fined several million dollars. I thought it was chicken****. Almost as chicken**** as Cotto defending his title 3 pounds below the true middleweight limit. The difference is Hopkins was the champion and could have turned the fight down and still remained champion. Cotto could have turned down the Pacquiao catchweight fight and Cotto would still have remain champion. As a challenger wanting to become a champion Geale has no choice but to agree to Cotto's 157 pound limit or he doesn't get a title shot. The WBC should demand Cotto defend his title at the correct 160 limit but they don't have the guts to enforce their own rules.

Comment

Working...
                      X