No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs Ortiz: Short Analysis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather vs Ortiz: Short Analysis

I'm pretty hype for this fight. I've been on the Ortiz bandwagon since idiots were saying he was a quitter and all that. I'm also a fan of Mayweather, despite some posts I've had criticizing him of. This isn't Pac/Mayweather but I still love this fight.

Looking at this fight as objectively as I can, we have to start breaking down some aspects of both of their careers and see if we can gain anything from it, leading up to the bout. When I look at both of their careers, I see a young fighter who is more than ready to step up to the challenge and another older fighter who may or may not be able to keep pace. Keep reading

Victor Ortiz is battle tested and he has shown his heart. It can be argued that Ortiz is more battle ready and able to dig deeper down than Mayweather is. Ortiz went life and death with Maidana, whom took his manhood. While Ortiz lost that fight, he had to fight hard for 6 grueling rounds. He followed it up with some impressive and non-impressive wins, leading up to the Berto fight. The odds did not favor Ortiz. He was moving up, fighting a natural WW (yes I know, Ortiz is huge) who is perhaps stronger, and faster. His heart got tested as he tasted the canvas twice and had to pull it out. Does Ortiz at this stage have the drive and necessary heart necessary to get Mayweather? I think so.

On the flip side, if we are asking ourselves honestly, the last time Mayweather had a real test was back in 02' when he fought Castillo. He showed his heart in a debated fight, then came back to put a stamp in it on the rematch. Since then, he has coasted and maybe can be argued that his only 'big' challenge was De La Hoya, who was a part-timer and past it. He hadn't been in a firefight or needed to dig down. We have to ask ourselves, if pressed, can he press back?

He's 34 now, does he have the legs necessary to keep Ortiz at bay. I don't think he has the strength to hurt Ortiz much, so his legs are key. We couldn't discern how much legs he had in the Mosley fight because Mosley was exhausted by the time he reached the ring.

It is certainly a case of old vs new but I ask myself since the fight was signed and even when discussing a Pac fight, does Floyd have the drive and now the legs to dig deep when pressed against a style that made him look a little bit uncomfortable in the past and is Ortiz now battle ready and heart hardened enough to take advantage in my opinion a ripe time for Floyd Mayweather?

Discuss

If its a TL : DR thread for the non-critical thinkers here, in short--Does FMJ have the legs and desire to keep Ortiz who is battle tested and heart emblazoned off of him and get a win?
    No: His lack of credible opponents the last 8 years and his lack of legs hinders him
    0.00%
    Yes: They weren't bums, has-beens or undersized folks, he just made them look that way
    50.00%
    No: Ortiz is in his prime, Mayweather maybe isn't. Ortiz is too strong and too motivated
    20.00%
    Undecided: Miley Cyrus is now legal
    30.00%

I think Floyd can turn it on when he wants to after long breaks. He keep sin shape and once he gets into condition he can do it. My money would be on Mayweather.

Comment

Ortiz will put pressure from the start of the bell.Floyd will counter and try
      to trade with ortiz.Which will lead to floyd being on the ground twiching.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
        I think Floyd can turn it on when he wants to after long breaks. He keep sin shape and once he gets into condition he can do it. My money would be on Mayweather.
        At 34...with his style...surely the body begins to reject it. These layoffs I think are detrimental to him. Its ok when you are fighting a 40 year who hadn't fought in nearly 2 years and a 38 year old who moved up two weight classes, but what about when its someone bigger, stronger and maybe faster?

Comment

Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
          Ortiz will put pressure from the start of the bell.Floyd will counter and try
          to trade with ortiz.Which will lead to floyd being on the ground twiching.
          If Floyd sits and trades with Ortiz, we'll never see Mayweather/Pacquaio

I agree

Comment

After seeing what happend to mccllelland vs nigel benn i cant call ortiz a quitter

Comment

Ortiz wins just so the mega fight never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbj2 View Post
                Ortiz wins just so the mega fight never happens.
                And NSB gets shut down for a week

Comment

Ortiz is too easy to hit and Floyd will wear him out. See Ortiz getting knocked out or tko'd by the 8th.

Comment

Floyd will find himself in a bit of danger early on, but he'll regroup after that, proceed to walk Ortiz down, break him down to the body and have Ortiz ready to be taken out by the 9th round. If you watch Ortiz vs. Berto and quickly skip to the 8th round, you'll notice that Victor's punches have lost A LOT of steam, Ortiz isn't a consistent power puncher.

Comment

Working...
                    X