No announcement yet.

Who saw Bellator on ****e TV?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
    From listening to the whole Alvarez situation, Rebney does not seem to be a straight up guy, also I had suspicions about that before the Alvarezs situation even got exposed about him making sure other fighters could not fight for anyone else nor Bellator and just holding up their contracts. None of these promoters are really straight up guys. The only one so far that seems legit that I have seen is Ray Sefo.
    Contract disputes happen. Don't believe everything you read in the MMA Zuffa propaganda media.

The matching option was legitimate. In this interview, Eddie admits that he doesn't even know what is in the contract, and generally sounds very bad all around. It is a case of Zuffa trying to poach fighters, or so it seems to me. Any promoter would respond the same way.

You don't have to like the matching clauses, but they are the norm. To note, Rebney has said that they matched the contract word for word, essentially. Zuffa's argument is that Eddie might earn more in the form of hypothetical bonuses and PPV revenue. Yet, they can't put it on paper. It is just some supposed thing.

Eddie is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, either, or so it seems here at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Yeah I always liked Coker? Who ran Affliction? Wasn't it Donald Trump and Mark Cuban? Two pretty good card, while that lasted. I'm liking Rebney so far.

There was some article on Bleacher Report on whether fans would be ready for a Pride comeback. The writer concluded no, not yet, but maybe in the future. Do you guys think a major promotion would ever come out of Japan again, like Pride did?
      Affliction had many partners, including Golden Boy, but was founded and run by the fellow who owns Affliction clothing. Real cool guy. Never talked ****. Actually competed in MMA and was decent. He dumped a ton of his money into the promotion because he loved the sport. I'll bet he doesn't even regret it. Though it was short-lived, Affliction is the only fight promotion I enjoyed as much as Pride.

Pride caught the MMA wave in Japan and, from what I understand, there just isn't a strong fanbase for it now. Sort of a trend that came and went. I think it'll come back around but it'll take a while. I miss Pride though. The whole environment was conducive to action and bravado. Much of that lie in sinister practices, but regardless, there was a magic that took place there that will likely never be replicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Yeah I always liked Coker? Who ran Affliction? Wasn't it Donald Trump and Mark Cuban? Two pretty good card, while that lasted. I'm liking Rebney so far.

There was some article on Bleacher Report on whether fans would be ready for a Pride comeback. The writer concluded no, not yet, but maybe in the future. Do you guys think a major promotion would ever come out of Japan again, like Pride did?
        Pride is dead, it will never be replicated. The new generation are just a different breed. They take less risks, have similar styles, most of them suck on the mic and don't really have that unique personality/appeal. In PRIDE nearly every fighter had their own style..very unique nowadays you have loads of wrestlers who are adept everywhere else. Back in the day you had someone who had unreal muay thai but maybe had a weakness in their ground game but often made up for it with their amazing stand up. There are no more Sakurabas/Wanderleis/Fedors, who would fight anyone, anywhere.

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
        Contract disputes happen. Don't believe everything you read in the MMA Zuffa propaganda media.

The matching option was legitimate. In this interview, Eddie admits that he doesn't even know what is in the contract, and generally sounds very bad all around. It is a case of Zuffa trying to poach fighters, or so it seems to me. Any promoter would respond the same way.

You don't have to like the matching clauses, but they are the norm. To note, Rebney has said that they matched the contract word for word, essentially. Zuffa's argument is that Eddie might earn more in the form of hypothetical bonuses and PPV revenue. Yet, they can't put it on paper. It is just some supposed thing.

Eddie is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, either, or so it seems here at least.
        Yeah, it is all kind of muddled up at the moment but I heard that Bellator said they could match the UFC PPV revenue if they did a PPV with Eddie on it but come on...they cannot compete with the UFC when it comes to PPV at ALL. I think due to the way contracts work and the way they can be interpreted Bellator will retain the services of Eddie Alvarez, it's a shame because him in the UFC would have been AMAZING for the fans. So many quality matchups, there is only one real match up for him in Bellator and thats the rematch with Chandler. After that, then what? If he gets the championship, he can't leave can he? Due to the new champions clause in Bellator contracts (maybe it isn't in his or maybe Bellator has made that incumbant on all their employees now) OR if he loses, his stock goes down and he has to rebuild but against who really in Bellator?

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
          Yeah, it is all kind of muddled up at the moment but I heard that Bellator said they could match the UFC PPV revenue if they did a PPV with Eddie on it but come on...they cannot compete with the UFC when it comes to PPV at ALL. I think due to the way contracts work and the way they can be interpreted Bellator will retain the services of Eddie Alvarez, it's a shame because him in the UFC would have been AMAZING for the fans. So many quality matchups, there is only one real match up for him in Bellator and thats the rematch with Chandler. After that, then what? If he gets the championship, he can't leave can he? Due to the new champions clause in Bellator contracts (maybe it isn't in his or maybe Bellator has made that incumbant on all their employees now) OR if he loses, his stock goes down and he has to rebuild but against who really in Bellator?
          Eddie had the option to wait out his matching period. He chose to negotiate during the matching period. Hector Lombard did the same thing, and Zuffa gave him a big offer, and Bellator let him go. Zuffa gave Eddie a much smaller offer, and Bellator chose to match it. They have a legally binding contract which gives them the right to do so.

And the whole hypothetical bonuses thing is bogus. If they can't put it into the contract, and yet it is regarded as a valid claim, no contract could ever be matched.

I don't really like the matching clauses, but they are standard business practice. It's hard for me to find much fault with Bellator.

Also, Bellator had a teleconference with Eddie and his manager shortly after this started, and Eddie apparently got on the phone with 6 lawyers on the line. Who do you suppose hired them?

Comment

Working...
          X