Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by + rizilient + View Post
    i agree 1,000%
    yeah i am excited about the fighter movie and i'm sure that christian bale and walhberg did great jobs acting in the movie..but has anyone seen the green hornet yet ?

Comment

• Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
      Shannyn Sossamon can get it
      Repeatedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Tunney-
        Inception

This one has a great cast, with top actors like Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Marion Cotillard and Tom Berenger. One of my favorites Michael Caine plays the main character's grandfather.

The direction and cinematography is excellent throughout. The dialogue is okay, not as trite as we often find in thrillers.

I found the first hour or so of Inception to be thought-provoking and interesting, but the chase in the van and the scenes where they fight off the gunmen in the mountains were rather tedious and predictable. If they had shortened those hackneyed action scenes it would have been more enjoyable. Still, the story was sufficiently suspenseful to keep my interest.

The ending would have given better closure if that spinner had fallen, it looked like it was going to but we'll never know for sure. Was it really the happy ending we wanted, or he was still in a deep dream?

7.5 of 10
        I have to admit I didn't understand everything that was going on, but I caught on to just enough to enjoy the movie. Ellen Page was miscast IMO and I don't think they should have started the movie the way they did.

But overall it was a cool movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigamzz View Post
          arrrr man i really want to see this movie....altough i do find it odd out of all the boxers they could have made a movie about they chose micky ward and add to that theres barely a mention of his career defining fights with gatti....but i hope this movie is as good as it looks...
          Originally posted by + rizilient + View Post
          thanks for the break down, i definitely plan on watching it.

why don't you rate bale as that good of an actor? i think he's great.
          Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
          Bale is a beast man...one of the greatest actors alive right now
          Originally posted by + rizilient + View Post
          i agree 1,000%
          Originally posted by MR.CHICANITO View Post
          yeah i am excited about the fighter movie and i'm sure that christian bale and walhberg did great jobs acting in the movie..but has anyone seen the green hornet yet ?
          The movie is really about Micky Ward's relationship with his brother and the rest of his crazy family. He just happens to be a boxer. We think of him as a hero inside the ring but his life story is also interesting because of his strong family bond. I think also Hollywood wants a story that can appeal to non-boxing fans as well.

I'm being a harsh critic of Christian Bale. He has an incredible work ethic, the way he loses severe weight for roles is impressive. He's been in some good movies, it's just I never felt he was all that special. (His performances in the Dark Knight movies were stiff but then again it's Batman.) Anyways, I know I was wrong about him.

Wahlberg did good with the fight scenes too IMO.

Comment

• Let The Right One In (2008)

This was recommended to me by a friend who sees a lot of movies and who has seen the American remake and said that was good too (but I haven't see that yet... or read the book this is based on).

First off, let me just say IMO making a movie with kids is pretty challenging. Or maybe it's just I'm one of those people who if a kid annoys me I don't like the movie and more often than not I find kids in movies annoying. The casting is this movie is very good. The director really does an outstanding job of capturing the difficulties of growing up, whether it's dealing with bullies or having your first crush. The film has a dreamlike quality and masterfully weaves in the "horror" in ways that makes those scenes even more shocking.

I hate to give spoilers so I won't... but I will say that when I found out something about one of the main characters it was rather unsettling.

Just note that even though this is in the horror genre it's really not paced like your average horror flick. It's really a coming of age story with horror elements.

It's also a Swedish film. I accidentally started watching the dubbed English version but recommend you watch it with subtitles.

8.5 out of 10.

Comment

• Life Is Hot In Cracktown (2009)

*This review contains spoilers*

It's really easy to call this a piece of shit. People love to shit on crappy low budget flicks with bad acting and weak storylines. But what if the movie keeps you watching and you actually enjoy it in a weird way? I mean sometimes you're in the mood for different types of movies and not every flick has to be an Academy Award winner to be worthy of watching. Sometimes I don't get how people are still surprised when they watch a movie and act like they didn't know it was gonna be that raw. People should know by now that not every movie can have a $100 million dollar budget starring A+ actors, etc. Still, you get people who get mad that a movie called Life Is Hot In Cracktown is not another There Will Be Blood.

Anyways, excuse my rant. This movie is graphic, you should know that. It starts with a gang rape (the scum even piss on the girl afterwards) and it doesn't let up for the rest of the ride. I'd say it's a rollercoaster ride, but there's no ups just downs. It's pretty relentless in its depressing qualities. But somehow it pulled me in. Seeing Shannyn Sossamon naked helped.

There's some over-the-top performances here but there's also some good ones... along with some bad ones. Kerry Washington actually plays a transsexual in this (wasn't expecting that, lol). She actually does OK in a weird role. There's this lowlife punk called Romeo (I think) who leads his lil' gang. He's despicable and you want to see him die but he also has an '80s look about him, like he would have been in Beat Street if he was around back then. The dude must be a good actor because I hated his ass. There's some child actors who are totally wrong for their parts as neglected kids whose parents are loser crackheads. There's also a memorable cameo by RZA. If you haven't guessed this movie is a trip.

Anyways, expect lots of violence and sad times. I'd only give this movie a 5 but a super strong 5. It was made by a guy who directed a cult classic exploitation flick called Combat Shock back in the '80s. I've never seen it but have heard many things about it, especially that it's incredibly sleazy. Seeing this flick I believe it.

Comment

• Machete....Absolute ****....i mean an absolute pile of **** and is up there with skyline as worst movie of the year...even the strong cast cant save this atrocious movie...

Comment

• Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
                  I have to admit I didn't understand everything that was going on, but I caught on to just enough to enjoy the movie. Ellen Page was miscast IMO and I don't think they should have started the movie the way they did.

But overall it was a cool movie.
                  Horribly miscast. I expect to see that doe eyed ineffectual **** in teeny bopper movies meant for 16 year olds getting their first periods.

Not in serious movies. Plus she's ugly, troll like and annoyingly lame. I read somewhere that she considers herself a "pro choice feminist".... doesn't surprise me.

Inception was a shit film imo. Nolan is a lugubrious cocksucker with delusions of grandeur. I couldn't even finish the damn thing so I'm not even gonna bother rating it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
                    Let The Right One In (2008)

This was recommended to me by a friend who sees a lot of movies and who has seen the American remake and said that was good too (but I haven't see that yet... or read the book this is based on).

First off, let me just say IMO making a movie with kids is pretty challenging. Or maybe it's just I'm one of those people who if a kid annoys me I don't like the movie and more often than not I find kids in movies annoying. The casting is this movie is very good. The director really does an outstanding job of capturing the difficulties of growing up, whether it's dealing with bullies or having your first crush. The film has a dreamlike quality and masterfully weaves in the "horror" in ways that makes those scenes even more shocking.

I hate to give spoilers so I won't... but I will say that when I found out something about one of the main characters it was rather unsettling.

Just note that even though this is in the horror genre it's really not paced like your average horror flick. It's really a coming of age story with horror elements.

It's also a Swedish film. I accidentally started watching the dubbed English version but recommend you watch it with subtitles.

8.5 out of 10.

rented this movie last year and watched it with my dad when visiting my parents...many people panda knows including my ex who is swedish told me to watch this one...we both ended up falling asleep 2 times during this movie...the pace is horrible...still have to rewatch it with a gallon of coffee to see if its actually any good

Comment

• really want to see the fighter but cant find a torrent anywhere!!! anybody got a hook up?? will give points...

Comment

Working...
                      X