• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo wants to take back Mexican holiday fight dates from Mayweather

It's about time.

Canelo wants to take back Mexican holiday fight dates from Mayweather
    By Karl Freitag

WBC/WBA welterweight and super middleweight champion Floyd Mayweather has essentially taken over the Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day weekends, fighting exclusively on those dates since 2010. However, last week Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez stated he wants to fight on those dates which are so important to Mexico and used to feature fighters like Julio Cesar Chavez and Oscar De La Hoya.

“I want to retake those dates and bring them back,” said Canelo. “Those dates are Mexican dates! They’re Mexican independence dates, and yes, for next year I will be fighting, I want to be fighting on those dates!”

Canelo’s promoter Oscar de la Hoya commented, “Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has given me strict orders, obviously he wants to follow in the footsteps of the great champions hailing from Mexico like Julio Cesar Chavez, fighters that have started the tradition of fighting Cinco de Mayo, started the tradition of fighting in September. Canelo now being a star of his own and a big draw and a person who the fans adore, me, as his promoter, it is my obligation to do what’s best for the fighter. So we’re obviously focusing 100% on Erislandy Lara and then we will be sitting down with Saul Canelo Alvarez and plan out his future.”

http://www.*********.com/Boxing/cane...weather-252039

He could have done that in the ring instead of losing 12-0.

Comment

I'm sure Floyd would let him fight on his undercards again

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        He could have done that in the ring instead of losing 12-0.
        yep. They were fighting for who has rights to headlining PPVs on Mexican holidays. Floyd won

Comment

He can have those dates starting 2016. He getting ****! Until Floyd retires. This coming from a big Canelo fan.

Comment

Well he can have any date he wants when Floyd retires..but as of now it aint happening and Goldenboy would just be losing money trying to go against Floyd especially when he only has a few fights left

Comment

If he does 'nt beat Lara this saturday. He'll be fight on that date. But it. Will be on the undercard of mayweather vs lara

Comment

Haymon/Mayweather are closely allied to Espinoza, so Canelo would have to try doing business with HBO to take whatever dates he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                  Haymon/Mayweather are closely allied to Espinoza, so Canelo would have to try doing business with HBO to take whatever dates he wants.
                  I think hbo rather have canelo then chavez jr to be honest

Jr just ducked triple g **** the contracts who turns out that kind of money

Comment

Canelo is simple

Oscar Delahoya fought Floyd on one of those dates. That wasn't depriving the Mexican people of anything was it? Thats a Mexican and a Black man from America fighting as the main event.

So how does it change when Floyd fights Juan Manuel Marquez, Victor Ortiz, Robert Guererro AND Canelo on those same dates?

The problem here is that Canelo wants to be the BIG MAN on those dates. So he wants to use Mexican holidays to act like Floyd is doing something wrong. Even when floyd fought Cotto, and Mosely he still featured Canelo on the undercard as co main event, Canelo was introduced to the American market and gained followers because of Floyd. He should actually be grateful because if Floyd didn't do it. No one would in America would be watching him and paying for his fights.

Its a political move Canelo is trying... Floyd is keeping calm and not saying anything to upset his following, but Canelo needs to watch it. He should just wait for Floyd to retire and keep winning fights. He would be next to take those dates automatically. His only other real competition in Mexico is Julio Caesar Chavez Jr Who is not as big as Canelo right now. He's got this in due time.

If he tried aking those dates, he could end up making himself look like an ass...

Comment

Working...
                    X