Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it depends on the situation

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

Foreman did make that transition with his comeback. He was considered a joke when he started it. What ended up doing was unprecedented.

[FONT=Arial]
      Holyfield became the most overrated fighter in the world after he beat Tyson. He went from being another solid heavyweight to be called the greatest ever. I was shaking my head because I didn't think he was even better than Lewis at the time. Recently it seems people have been much more realistic in rating him.
      I think Foreman was a different case than just a late career win. What most people didn't realize at the time and even now, is that Foreman started a whole new career. He was the most active heavyweight contender at the time, fighting 20+ times in 2-3 years. He didn't make a comeback in the traditional sense, say coming back for a big fight. Not that it adds or detracts from what he achieved, which is securing his name in the upper echelons of boxing royalty forever.

With regards to Holyfield, I think it's an interesting one. Obviously, with how Tyson's career panned out in the 90s it's easy to say it wasn't such a good win, but virtually everyone picked Tyson to beat Holyfield.

With regards to Lewis, I think there's two types of camps. Those who remember Lewis fighting on Holyfield's undercard and putting up very uninspiring performances in the early-mid 90s and will always consider Holyfield the champion because he faced better opposition in his prime.

And those who think Lewis really came into his own in the mid-late 90s and that that version would have been a champ in the early 90s also, despite him fighting less than stellar opposition in that time, for the most part.

I tend to be in the middle.

On topic, I think it can only add to a resume. It's interesting that no one has mentioned Hagler-Leonard which must be the greatest single comeback win of all times.

Comment

Working...
      X