This film looks so dope - Prometheus!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
    Now this is the sort of post that has restored some faith
    People seem to think that Prometheus is supposed to be an out and out horror flick. It's more serious than that. The questions it raises are grander. Obviously, some horror aspects are involved, but the movie is more than about just scaring you.

Alien was successful because of its simplicity. It was about a monster that got on-board a mining vessel and began killing everything.

Prometheus is about the origins of humanity. What made us? Why did they make us? Would whatever made us, welcome us should we find them? Following the exact same haunted house/horror blueprint of the Alien films wouldn't answer these questions. Therefore you have to open the Alien blueprint up and explore wider thematic narratives. In the process, you lose the tightly contained horror and claustrophobic nature of the original Alien films, but gain a greater contextual understanding of the Alien universe.

For 30 years, fans have been asking for answers regarding the mysterious Space Jockeys, and now they have a franchise that's doing that, all they want is another Alien film :/

Comment

I can't wait for this movie! I assume in the end the space jockey will feel the wrath of the chest burster. That alone is worth the watch lol. Should be a good movie.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
        I can't wait for this movie! I assume in the end the space jockey will feel the wrath of the chest burster. That alone is worth the watch lol. Should be a good movie.
        Don't forget, the alien takes the form of its host

Comment

I hope you like musicals.

Comment

The picture quality looks amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
              People seem to think that Prometheus is supposed to be an out and out horror flick. It's more serious than that. The questions it raises are grander. Obviously, some horror aspects are involved, but the movie is more than about just scaring you.

Alien was successful because of its simplicity. It was about a monster that got on-board a mining vessel and began killing everything.

Prometheus is about the origins of humanity. What made us? Why did they make us? Would whatever made us, welcome us should we find them? Following the exact same haunted house/horror blueprint of the Alien films wouldn't answer these questions. Therefore you have to open the Alien blueprint up and explore wider thematic narratives. In the process, you lose the tightly contained horror and claustrophobic nature of the original Alien films, but gain a greater contextual understanding of the Alien universe.

For 30 years, fans have been asking for answers regarding the mysterious Space Jockeys, and now they have a franchise that's doing that, all they want is another Alien film :/
              Good post!!!

Alien went a lot further than people realized, in that it called into question psychologically, how individuals respond to an aggressive entity when isolated. There were and are many movies that use this theme, but few introduced new elements to the concept as cleverly as Alien did.

I expect the same theme to be exploited in Prometheus, while adding a historical balance to the series. There were many unanswered questions post-Alien and I would hope the Prometheus fills the void, while entertaining and exploring the same tried-and-true isolated psychological elements.

I cannot wait ..... eight days to go.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post

Copy/Paste?

Not cool, bro.

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to this movie. I know that Ridley Scott has some really commercial movies that I didn't care for but he also has some great movies as well and everything I been reading about this tells me it's going to be good.

Comment

Working...
                  X