Wikileaks: U.S. State Department aggressively pushing GMOs and Monsanto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wikileaks: U.S. State Department aggressively pushing GMOs and Monsanto

Anyone else disturbed by this?

One of the most revealing cables is from 2007, it looks at French efforts to ban a Monsanto GM corn variety. HERE is a cable that shows Craig Stapleton, former ambassador to France under the Bush administration, asking Washington to punish the EU countries that did not support the use of GM crops:

“Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices.”

The U.S. government was not only working for the biotech industry, they were also threatening other governments who did not comply.

http://realitieswatch.com/wikileaks-....LOToj7sb.dpuf

I've gone to eating only organic fruits and vegetables as part of a new diet. I've not felt this good in years.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Anyone else disturbed by this?

One of the most revealing cables is from 2007, it looks at French efforts to ban a Monsanto GM corn variety. HERE is a cable that shows Craig Stapleton, former ambassador to France under the Bush administration, asking Washington to punish the EU countries that did not support the use of GM crops:

“Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices.”

The U.S. government was not only working for the biotech industry, they were also threatening other governments who did not comply.

http://realitieswatch.com/wikileaks-....LOToj7sb.dpuf

i saw this. wanted to make a thread about evil monsanto company. looked up the picture of the political hatchet guy too. real scummy looking douche.

obama didnt fare any better since he signed the monsanto protection act.

we cant even get food labeling for GMOs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
        i saw this. wanted to make a thread about evil monsanto company. looked up the picture of the political hatchet guy too. real scummy looking douche.

obama didnt fare any better since he signed the monsanto protection act.

we cant even get food labeling for GMOs.
        Yeah, this was done under the Bush administration but Obama has been no better. It's why I say that Democrats vs Republicans doesn't matter anymore. They both serve the same corporate interests.

As for Monsanto being evil it's hard to argue against that. They are the same company that invented Agent Orange and DDT, and they were the North American producers of the toxic and cancer causing PCB.

Seems like they got rich through manufacturing the most harmful crap possible.

Comment

To be fair, GMOs, if created in the right ways could help end world hunger, and improve the lives of billions of people. However, I wouldn't trust any of the world's biggest GMO manufacturers as far as I could throw them.

Comment

I'm not convinced of the safety of GMOs and feel we need more time to conduct proper studies of them. I certainly don't trust the studies that come from the biotech companies themselves.

While that gets sorted out I would like to have some choice in the matter so it's essential that food containing GMO's is labeled as such. But Monsanto being the unethical company that it is has fought tooth and nail against mandatory labeling.

Freedom of choice should be more important than their pursuit of making a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              While that gets sorted out I would like to have some choice in the matter so it's essential that food containing GMO's is labeled as such.
              You can now, but it does require a little bit of work reading labels and doing some research and the food is a little more expensive. Some foods are labelled 'non-GMO' as well.

I'd suggest a farmers market or health food store type place that sells organic produce.

Not sure where you live, but if you live in Texas those 'Sprouts' farmers market stores are great.

Comment

I do get my fruits and veggies at a farmer's market and I started eating grass-fed meat and bison last year. It is kind of expensive though.

Comment

i like my triple baconators but i can settle for a junior baconator if it bothers you so much. this is AMERICA not French or Paris!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
                    To be fair, GMOs, if created in the right ways could help end world hunger, and improve the lives of billions of people. However, I wouldn't trust any of the world's biggest GMO manufacturers as far as I could throw them.
                    We're already capable of eliminating hunger. The amount of food isn't the Problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X