Criticism Continues To Mount For The UFC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criticism Continues To Mount For The UFC

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009/1...t-for-the-ufc/

Following another lackluster and disappointing event, the Ultimate Fighting Championship and its president, Dana White, have once again come under heavy scrutiny among fans online, as a recent trend of negative sentiment and controversy continues to surround the promotion.

With a largely disastrous bout between Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Houston “The Assassin” Alexander from last night’s TUF 10 Finale receiving the brunt of the criticism, an announcement regarding the eleventh season of the reality show also has fans frustrated.

Citing overwhelming demand from UFC fans, White announced that former UFC Light Heavyweight Champions Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell and “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Tito Ortiz would serve as opposing coaches for next year’s airing of TUF 11.

The announcement was met with a noticeable smattering of boos and near-complete indifference from the live Las Vegas crowd, but has since been a hot topic among fans online, who have almost exclusively panned the bout as a waste of time.

White, who seemed visibly unsure of himself as he made the announcement, had to be reminded of the weight class that the TUF 11 contestants would be competing at and appeared to be taken aback by the negative response from the crowd.

The announcement appeared to make little sense, with Liddell having lost four of his last five fights and Ortiz winless in his four most recent trips to the Octagon.

What was perhaps more troubling was White’s assertions that it was fan demand that led to the Liddell-Ortiz pairing – which will presumably lead to a third fight between the two in mid-2010 – when backlash in the past 18 hours suggests otherwise.

It is not the first time that White has recently made claims that have been exaggerated or completely untrue, but his recent tendency to stretch the truth on frequent occasion has upset even his biggest supporters.

Fans, who feel that they are being lied to and treated as fools, have expressed anger or frustration with many of White’s comments, not the least of which being his frequent attacks on WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko, who competes for the rival Strikeforce promotion.

While White has done great things for the sport in the past, his brash personality is beginning to catch up with him and dozens of recent comments have mocked White when he has been forced to hastily scramble to replace main events due to injury.

Karma does seem to have a way of rearing its head and some feel that White is merely facing the consequences for spending significant amounts of time insulting the competition while his own promotion struggles.

Mixed martial arts fans tend to become overdramatic when expressing their displeasure with events in the sport, which has led to dozens if not hundreds of recent forum posts suggesting that the UFC is fixing fights or that MMA is imminently dying.

While the idea of fight fixing is incredibly unlikely, the very insinuation that the sport is being tampered with, as some have claimed after the bizarre Slice vs Alexander bout last night, is extremely bad for the sport’s credibility.

It did not help matters that a ****e TV-backed promo for Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling, featuring the well-known Terry “Hulk Hogan” Bollea, was showcased between fights.

This only added fuel to the fire of arguments from critics who feel that the sport is becoming too closely related to professional wrestling.

However, the primary source of discontent appears to centre around the perceived oversaturation of recent events, as both the UFC and Strikeforce have significantly increased the frequency of their cards.

With both promotions planning to run 20 or more shows in 2010, each would be wise to look closely at the past five months of MMA history to see the adverse effect that ill-timed injuries and “quantity over quality” cards can have.

While each UFC event since the historic UFC 100 card in July has featured at least two exciting and compelling matchups, including last night’s TUF 10 Finale, there is a growing argument that the UFC peaked at the UFC 100 event and has been on a downward slide since.

As with the issue of perceived fight tampering, whether or not the promotion is, in fact, on a downward slide is less relevant than the fact that such a stance is being taken in the first place.

UFC 100 was designed to further springboard the promotion into the mainstream of sports, and it did just that in many ways, but a poor economy, numerous injuries to top stars and a lack of compelling and meaningful fights – especially main events – has prevented the success from continuing.

Not to be neglected is the ongoing and very real issue of scoring and officiating problems, which has plagued a number of recent fights, including a UFC Light Heavyweight Championship bout between Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 104.

However, in the wake of the tremendous backlash and outcry of support for Rua, who was arguably robbed of a rightful title victory (MMARising.com scored the bout 49-46 for Rua), some fans turned their attention and frustrations in the wrong direction.

While UFC President Dana White does an excellent job of attracting negative attention with unprofessional conduct and constant (and often immature) attacks on promotional competitors, he has nothing to do with the appointment of referees or judges.

For that, the ire of the sport’s fans must be directed to athletic commissions, which, especially in the case of the embattled California State Athletic Commission, have been called into question in the past.

Despite Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer’s comments that downplay the ongoing problem with uneducated judges and inefficient referees, the evidence is plain as day on the screen as fans tune into their favourite MMA events.

Last night’s bout between rising light heavyweight star Jon “Bones” Jones and Matt “The Hammer” Hamill, wherein Jones was disqualified for illegal elbow strikes that did not appear to be the reason for Hamill’s inability to continue, further highlighted the need for rule changes.

For the first time, instant replay was used to determine the outcome of the bout, and much-maligned referee Steve Mazzagatti did make the only call that he could under the circumstances, but he was merely following a ruling the doesn’t make sense.

In the end, part of the reason why progress is often stifled is because discussions among fans online often dissolve into arguments between “casual fans” who may be new to the sport and long-time supporters of MMA.

Rather than working together to continue to grow the sport, the two (often vastly differing) fanbases tend to clash, which results in endless discussions of hypothetical fight scenarios and unnecessary insults towards the fighters who are stepping into the ring or cage for our entertainment.

When fans are becoming so frustrated with the direction of the UFC that they are turning to other promotions instead, or, even worse, turning to other sports (such as boxing) altogether, there are clearly problems in MMA that do need to be addressed.

Until promotions begin to truly listen to their fans rather than showcasing fights or events solely for their own personal interests, and until athletic commissions begin to accept the serious nature of the problems with the scoring/officiating system that is currently in place, we are merely making it easier for MMA’s detractors to try to tear down the sport.

As most fans would attest, mixed martial arts is the greatest sport in the world and it is about time that supporters of MMA have their voices heard before the ongoing controversy ruins what the last five years have accomplished.

Sadly I couldn't agree more with this write up.

Dana and the UFC must not realize that there is an economic crisis and people don't have money to blow 3 times a month on ****ty PPV cards.

They need to cut it back down to 10 events per year rather than 20. They don't have the resources.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post

Dana and the UFC must not realize that there is an economic crisis and people don't have money to blow 3 times a month on ****ty PPV cards.

They need to cut it back down to 10 events per year rather than 20. They don't have the resources.

I agree with that story as well. I say do 8 ppvs and 6 UFN's a year. That should be plenty...

Comment

In the past, the big fights we all wanted to see, just came together
        Looks like White is forcing it now. Over confidence has had many a casualty.

The UFC just took a major blow. Dana needs to do something to stop the bleeding. And hell no, I don't want to see Iceman Fight Tito again.
        I for one can't stand Tito. He's all talk.

Comment

UFC slacking off

yeah making Chuck and Tito the coaches for Season 11 seemed like the "Ultimate" desperate move to make

and im actually glad a fuss is being made because I've been following the UFC since season 3 of the Ultimate Fighter (when Ortiz/Shamrock were coaches)

since 100 I've felt a slow decline in the match making regarding the UFC

but it just looks like White is grasping at straws making this 3rd Ortiz/Liddell bout

he's criticized boxing in the past for having no stars, but how is Dana White any better by recycling a Tito and Chuck match up

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post

agreed, and especially if injuries occur those PPV's turn out worse. 106 was set to be the pretty big main event of Lesnar vs Carwin, but that went out the window

said already but I too feel events should be cut back .... as the UFC does have a nice roster but they need to take advantage of it

rather then try to pump out 2-3 fight cards in a month.

in all fairness you can't fault the UFC about fighters getting injured, and they've tried to make best with what they can

ex. the 106 main event switched from Lesnar-Carwin, and the 103 main event was originally slated to be Franklin-Henderson 2

but still if they cut back just a bit with the fights, not only would the quality of the fights increase, but I'd bet the demand for the UFC would increase

**don't bet on it happening though as the UFC already has 2 events on tabs for Jan and February .. hopefully no injures because those fight cards look pretty solid.

"With both promotions planning to run 20 or more shows in 2010, each would be wise to look closely at the past five months of MMA history to see the adverse effect that ill-timed injuries and “quantity over quality” cards can have."

pretty much what I said above, if the UFC spaced out their events, by maybe even a month or 2 sure it might cut down on quantity of fights, but I believe the quality would go up.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            I agree with that story as well. I say do 8 ppvs and 6 UFN's a year. That should be plenty...
            they'll make more money on a few awesome fights than a dozen ****ty ones. dana and the fertitti brothers must be getting too greedy

Comment

No disrespect to some out there but if you buy into that write up then you don't understand combat sports.

Look, everyone would love to see Gatti vs Ward every single time out, it's just not realistic. There are some fights that are boring, there are some fights that won't live up tot he hype. It's ok......

It's the nature of the fight game, whether it be boxing or mma, it happens.

The only think you can do as a promoter is put together the best fight out there and hope for the best sometimes.

UFC has grown immensely and will continue to grow. Just like everything else though, the growth has to slow down at some point. It's ok, as long as they continue to put together the fights that people want to see and that new talent come through their doors every year. Neither is a problem and I just think people need to complain about something.

Comment

I agree with the write-up. Dana and the UFC are overestimating the appetite for their product and they've misread the economic climate.

Putting Liddell and Tito together shows that they are desperate to improve their figures because there is simply no other reason for that fight to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                  No disrespect to some out there but if you buy into that write up then you don't understand combat sports.

Look, everyone would love to see Gatti vs Ward every single time out, it's just not realistic. There are some fights that are boring, there are some fights that won't live up tot he hype. It's ok......

It's the nature of the fight game, whether it be boxing or mma, it happens.

The only think you can do as a promoter is put together the best fight out there and hope for the best sometimes.

UFC has grown immensely and will continue to grow. Just like everything else though, the growth has to slow down at some point. It's ok, as long as they continue to put together the fights that people want to see and that new talent come through their doors every year. Neither is a problem and I just think people need to complain about something.
                  1. What do you mean "buy into that write up" IMO there are truths to it ... by no means is it 100% accurate and it is an opinion but the comments about Chuck/Tito as well as the UFC increasing the frequency of fights are valid.

unless your a complete UFC fanboy, I don't see how you can say people are buying into this write up as inaccurate

it isn't word for word true, but questioning Dana making a third fight of Ortiz vs Liddell is a pretty legit criticism in fact I'll point out why some of these criticisms of the UFC post 100 are very valid

2. You can't speak for everyone. I wouldn't love to see Gatti vs Ward every time .. that would be boring after a while. but you are right that every big bout can't reach the hype or be exciting, it's the way the fight game works as a boxing/MMA fan this is something I've accepted

3. sure that's the idea to try and match up the best out their and hope the fight comes through

now regarding this "complaining about nothing" .. I said I was going to bring up the UFC events after UFC 100 to prove a point and here they are ..

keep the following criteria in mind, particularly what I underlined/bolded

“look closely at the past five months of MMA history to see the adverse effect that ill-timed injuries and “quantity over quality” cards can have.

“numerous injuries to top stars and a lack of compelling and meaningful fights

at UFC 101 in Philly the main event was a Lightweight title fight of Kenny Florian vs BJ Penn. It turned out to be pretty one sided as the rounds progressed but in all fairness Florian went on a 6 fight win streak to earn the title shot, so it was a well deserved opportunity

As for the co-main event of 101 which was Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, I feel isn’t a very compelling or meaningful fight at all. You put the lovable underdog vs one of the best fighters in the world. While slightly interesting on paper, you could argue that the fight isn't so meaningful.
                  Forrest is pretty much cannon fodder with Silva moving up to LHW again

now on to UFC 102. The main event was Noguiera vs Randy Couture. You have two of the best Heavyweights of all time fighting, a pretty compelling fight on that basis alone as both are trying to get back into the title picture, so why not a fight vs one another?

fits both criteria in being compelling and meaningful.

where 102 dropped the ball was with the co-main event of Keith Jardine vs Thiago Silva. as going into this fight Jardine is 2-3 with a knockout loss to Wanderlei at 84 and a UD loss to Rampage at 96.

I can understand Jardine fighting Silva, but even with the close loss to Rampage, I don't feel the fight warrants it's co-main event status.

now for 103. the main event was changed from Henderson-Franklin 2 to Belfort-Franklin a good move. But with Franklin-Belfort fighting at a catchweight of 195, how compelling/meaningful is the main event?

UFC 104 had a good main event of Machida-Shogun .. it just didn't play out the most exciting, and the judging issue was already brought up by the article. the co-main event of Rothwell vs Velazquez was one sided, but fun while it lasted.

Comment

Good write up. UFC has been on a little bit of a decline since UFC 101. UFC 100 and 101 I believe did 1.7m and 1.1m buys and hasn't had anything close since. Some of it isn't their fault and some is. You've had (Not in order)

- GSP (Big UFC draw) wiping out the division after beating Alvez in dominate fashion. Not only did he injure himself and has to be out for awhile his next opponent is Dan Hardy. GSP did to the welterweight division what Ando did to the middleweight division.

- Brock Lesnar (UFC's biggest draw) is sick with mono and out for 6mo leaving behind what was already a lackluster division in limbo.

-UFC failed to sign Fedor and missed out on what could have been the mma version of Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

-Dan Henderson walked out on the UFC which just made it look bad in general

-Rampage also walked out. Regardless of who was at fault it just hurt UFC. Everyone was looking forward to the Evans showdown and it was VERY disappointing to find out it wasn't going to happen.

-The fights on TUF 10 were hard to watch. Especially the ones where these guys gassed after 30 seconds. I know they're new but casual fans don't care. They don't want to see two overweight guys gasping for air rather than fighting.

-Shogun and Machida had a fight where the majority of people thought Shogun was robbed.

-Strikeforce has been putting on decent cards to compete with UFC. Not only have they had to compete with Strikeforce (that seems to be getting more talent by the day), they had to compete with what's been a great year for boxing.

-There's been too many meaningless events. The catchweight fights with Rich Franklin. Now a TUF with Tito and Chuck??

Dana's smart and I'm sure they will bounce back hard but the last few months have been anything but exciting.

Comment

Working...
                    X