Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Iceman John Scully Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will answer some now and finish later... I wouldnt call the Lopeck fight a "gimme" ...he was very strong and determined in there, had experience (stopped Maurice Harris at cruiser)...I definitely didnt look at him as a 'gimme' for me, it was an ESPN fight, 10 rds, and I won it...I was not knocked out by Thadzi, that's a pet peeve of mine. Micky Ward wasn't knocked out by Vince Phillips (cut), Oliver McCall wasnt knocked out vs Lennox (breakdown), and I wasn't knocked out vs. Drake. I wasnt even ever hurt in the fight, I promise you. Its a long story for my book, I felt the need to explain it all in there, but basically I was severely weight drained and emotionally I was literally a zombie...I often compare myself to McCall without the crying...beating Nelson in Toronto was HUGE for me at the time...he was a very solid amateur at one time who had a solid record in the pros and the local boxing guru there in Toronto picked him to beat me...only loss was to Thomas Ulrich at the time...I fought EXTREMELY WELL to be honest, if I do say so myself one of the best perforamnces of my career, and I figured afterwards that, "I'm back!!" ...I figured that I was going to see my career back on an upswing immediately but nine fights in a row subsequently fell out on me and I eventually transitioned full time into training boxers...

I assume Pavlik will win a strong decision but wouldnt be surprised if he was made to look clumsy and made to learn some tough lessons along the way...

MORE TO COME...

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
      I will answer some now and finish later... I wouldnt call the Lopeck fight a "gimme" ...he was very strong and determined in there, had experience (stopped Maurice Harris at cruiser)...I definitely didnt look at him as a 'gimme' for me, it was an ESPN fight, 10 rds, and I won it...I was not knocked out by Thadzi, that's a pet peeve of mine. Micky Ward wasn't knocked out by Vince Phillips (cut), Oliver McCall wasnt knocked out vs Lennox (breakdown), and I wasn't knocked out vs. Drake. I wasnt even ever hurt in the fight, I promise you. Its a long story for my book, I felt the need to explain it all in there, but basically I was severely weight drained and emotionally I was literally a zombie...I often compare myself to McCall without the crying...beating Nelson in Toronto was HUGE for me at the time...he was a very solid amateur at one time who had a solid record in the pros and the local boxing guru there in Toronto picked him to beat me...only loss was to Thomas Ulrich at the time...I fought EXTREMELY WELL to be honest, if I do say so myself one of the best perforamnces of my career, and I figured afterwards that, "I'm back!!" ...I figured that I was going to see my career back on an upswing immediately but nine fights in a row subsequently fell out on me and I eventually transitioned full time into training boxers...

I assume Pavlik will win a strong decision but wouldnt be surprised if he was made to look clumsy and made to learn some tough lessons along the way...

MORE TO COME...
      Hey Iceman thanks for answering my question, I wanted to make sure my question sounded professionally and journalist like and I made sure to do my homework in regards to commenting on your record and career. In regards to being knocked out I knew you werent ko-ed per se but on "paper" it was in as a tko so thats really the only reason I said that. And after looking at your string of loses and then getting the win in Toronto I KNOW that had to feel great cuz I know people were thinking you were done or shot or watever people call it and to win on the scorecards, although it should have been unanimous, had to be a good feeling.

I did wonder why you retired after such a good win but I guess you answered that question and as for Lopeck I call it a gimmie because of your vast experience compared to him and because of his 13-7 record, but thanks for clarifying his toughness.

I hope you like the way I presented my question as I have a love for journalism and interviewing especially and I once again thank you for answering it and wish you luck on training other boxers

Comment

Originally posted by hishaam15 View Post
        I got a question:

What was the Gerald McClellan vs Roy Jones fight in the AM's like?
        and what was the best fight you have ever seen?
        Saving the major details for my book, including a day after the fight news acount from the local paper..but let's just say it was a VERY good fight, fought at a very high level...they were amateurs but they fought with professional skills and intensity

Comment

Yeah, your question was professional LOL..sounded good man...I just wanted to clarify those things because I respect Scott, he was a tough guy who scored some solid wins in his career..he is an example of a guy who is better, tougher, etc than his record on paper suggests. My bad streak there..not making excuses, just pointijg out an observation, it's in the book in detail...but my mother got sick in 1995 and when I fought Maske she was bed ridden and passed away four months later (with me at her side So let's just say that there was a long stretch there where my fights didnt mean as much to me as they should have.

Comment

I understand you were weight drained in the Drake Thadzi fight.
            That being said, how on earth did James Toney lose to him? What did Thadzi do well, that made him go on that two fight win streak?

Question #2 it seems you get quite a few talented fighters and make them better Have you ever refused to train a fighter that wanted to train with you and if so what were the reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
              I understand you were weight drained in the Drake Thadzi fight.
              That being said, how on earth did James Toney lose to him? What did Thadzi do well, that made him go on that two fight win streak?

Question #2 it seems you get quite a few talented fighters and make them better Have you ever refused to train a fighter that wanted to train with you and if so what were the reasons?

Not to discredit Drake but James and I were both extremely weight drained when we fought him. I know I was, it was terrible...I know James was, too, because I was with him at the weigh-in and it was literally a thing where he was so weak looking and mentally out of it that I wondered if he was even fit to fight anymore. Also, though, in both fights, Thadzi did what he had to do...against James he really put the pressure on, and he finished very strongly too...he answered back every time, stayed the course and, really, fought the fight of his life against James that night.

So far I have never refused to train any amateur or pro that came my way...after Chad and I went our seperate ways and then after he left Birmingham I was approached about training him for a fight in Germany against Stipe Drews for the WBA title that never came off...after some thought and consideration I declined the offer. Nothing against Chad personally, he and I always had a good relationship and when I trained him we had a very good connection in the ring..but the boxing business is not for me and I just didnt want to be mor einvolved in it than I needed to be.

Comment

John,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I have another one for you.

What is your prediction for Calzaghe-Jones?

Comment

I definitely think RJ has a real shot at this...Joe might have a problem being too aggressive because RJ counters so quick and sharply that Joe might have to seriously change his gameplan

Comment

john..

juanma lopez vs israel vazquez!

who u got

Comment

To tell u the truth, I havent seen Israel fight yet!!! Sorry

Comment

Working...
                      X