What makes Kovalev special?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jas View Post
    his boxing skills are good but his balance is poor
    I wouldn't say poor, but he has been momentarily caught whilst moving in several fights, (White, Sillakh notably) and looked to briefly lose his footing. I'll have to rewatch the fights, but it's posssible someone with very good timing might be able to exploit this to score a flash KD.

The Caparello 'KD' was mainly the result of him trying to back out of Caparellos threat zone at speed (his standard defensive technique), but Caparello had stepped on his foot which did, indeed, put him off balance when he tried to move it.

He has good skills, but to date those he's displayed have been almost exclusively offensive; excellent combos, good mobility and control of range, effective feinting and good accuracy.

For some reason there does seem to be a tendency to dismiss guys who get KOs as just having power, but the simple ability to hit hard isn't enough at this kind of level, punch placement and selection, the ability to create openings and accuracy are all aspects of offensive skill, without which the proverbial bombs wouldn't land.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
      You don't know anything.

Maidana does box backwards. Chino knows how to set up deadly KO shots as he's moving backwards, i.e. 2nd Broner knockdown, touching Mayweather in the center of the ring, the Soto Karass fight.
      I agree bro, go to 4:46, watch him making fraud jr miss with his famous step back counter right hand to the jab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqV65LYbL4

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        I wouldn't say poor, but he has been momentarily caught whilst moving in several fights, (White, Sillakh notably) and looked to briefly lose his footing. I'll have to rewatch the fights, but it's posssible someone with very good timing might be able to exploit this to score a flash KD.

The Caparello 'KD' was mainly the result of him trying to back out of Caparellos threat zone at speed (his standard defensive technique), but Caparello had stepped on his foot which did, indeed, put him off balance when he tried to move it.

He has good skills, but to date those he's displayed have been almost exclusively offensive; excellent combos, good mobility and control of range, effective feinting and good accuracy.

For some reason there does seem to be a tendency to dismiss guys who get KOs as just having power, but the simple ability to hit hard isn't enough at this kind of level, punch placement and selection, the ability to create openings and accuracy are all aspects of offensive skill, without which the proverbial bombs wouldn't land.
        naaaahhhhh, he's not that accurate, he was punching agnew's gloves for a few rounds
        Last edited by jas; 08-30-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Darnell Boone is also picking Hopkins to beat Kovalev

Youv've made my sig by the way Kovatard, congrats
          What's that have to do with anything? Bernard is a legend of the sport, that's not a crazy prediction.

That doesn't change my prediction. Kovalev is going to beat Hop, IMO.

And you're the one making outrageous and silly/fantasy claims like "Prime hopkins kills kovalev"

Obviously it a was response to such claims.... because we will never know. So, keep dreaming

Originally posted by punchr View Post
          You don't know anything.

Maidana does box backwards. Chino knows how to set up deadly KO shots as he's moving backwards, i.e. 2nd Broner knockdown, touching Mayweather in the center of the ring, the Soto Karass fight.
          Kovalev can box backwards too. He just hasn't had to.

Maidana's boxing skills did him so well against Kotelnik and Alexander, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
            What's that have to do with anything? Bernard is a legend of the sport, that's not a crazy prediction.

That doesn't change my prediction. Kovalev is going to beat Hop, IMO.

Kovalev can box backwards too. He just hasn't had to.

Maidana's boxing skills did him so well against Kotelnik and Alexander, eh?
            If you wanna play that game of looking at past fights from years ago, Kovalev scraped by Boone with many believing Boone got robbed

Comment

naaaahhhhh, he's not that accurate, he was pushing agnew's gloves for a few rounds
              You're crazy. Kovalev has deadly accuracy. This is fact.

Pushing Agnews gloves? Agnew was shelled up against the ropes..... What else is he going to do? Whisper in his ears "drop your gloves man so I can punch you in the face"

Can't tell if you're trolling or not

Comment

If you wanna play that game of looking at past fights from years ago, Kovalev scraped by Boone with many believing Boone got robbed
                Find the video of Boone getting robbed.

I'll wait.......

Comment

His power... obviously. Good boxer with exceptional power - just flicks out his hands and knocks people out with either hand. That is the definition of special.

Comment

Jas: You made like 150 of the same type of posts in the Kov-Hop masterthreads saying Hopkins will kill him in the 90s, etc... Hopkins decapitates Kovalev in his prime, etc. You are living a fantasy. Nobody knows this kind of stuff, unless you have a time machine..... those opinions mean nothing.

If Hopkins beats Kovalev, he gets all the credit in the world from me (he already does for taking the fight)

But if Kovalev beats Hopkins, I know for a fact you are going to be first in line in the "Hopkins is old. Prime Hop beats a Kovalev any day of the week" bandwagon. So I have no idea why I even talk about this fight with you.

Judging by all your hypothetical/living in the past/fantasy posts in that thread..... you won't give Kovalev any credit if he wins. Period. So, I'm done debating about my hero with you.

Cheers mate.

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
                      You're crazy. Kovalev has deadly accuracy. This is fact.

Pushing Agnews gloves? Agnew was shelled up against the ropes..... What else is he going to do? Whisper in his ears "drop your gloves man so I can punch you in the face"

Can't tell if you're trolling or not
                      i meant to say punching,

you go to the body much sooner than he did

his IQ is not on the level of bhops, this is chess not checkers

agnew always fights with a super high guard like that, there is footage of prior fights on youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X