Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto at his peak. Would you consider him a GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good but not great.

His best win was a close but clear win on an older shane, making him "the man to beat" but not lineal at 147.

His personality gained him a big following, he proved you dont have to be fake or play the role of some kind of character to gain a fanbase.

Sometimes he gets overrated or gets a pass (for skipping out on post fight interviews) that over fighters wouldnt get because people like his personality.

And of course puerto rican fans you got to take their opinion with a grain of salt because they will overrate the living **** out of any of their guys. Just like many mexican fans to this day will proclaim margarito was innocent, not for any real reason other than because he was a mexican fighter.
    Last edited by elfag; 10-27-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Cotto has been either KO'd or shutout by every A level fighter he's fought.

So NO at no point has Cotto ever been a great fighter

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
        Cotto has been either KO'd or shutout by every A level fighter he's fought.

So NO at no point has Cotto ever been a great fighter
        Floyd isn't A level? Because he neither stopped nor shut Cotto out.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          Floyd isn't A level? Because he neither stopped nor shut Cotto out.
          Floyd has lost more than a step from where he was in his prime, while you could argue Cotto is in his prime, and altho cotto "lost well" I don't really consider that a competitive fight, Floyd had it under control, if he still had his legs you could certainly envision a shut out

Comment

Cotto fell short fighting great fighters. Although he took on hell of a an as kicking , nobody can question his heart! He's on of my favorites to watch fight. Win or lose. Not great...but good as the rest on the top!

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              Floyd has lost more than a step from where he was in his prime, while you could argue Cotto is in his prime, and altho cotto "lost well" I don't really consider that a competitive fight, Floyd had it under control, if he still had his legs you could certainly envision a shut out
              and if you argued cotto is still in his prime, you'd be wrong and reaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton.Brilliant View Post
                and if you argued cotto is still in his prime, you'd be wrong and reaching.
                So when was he in his prime?

When he was getting rocked by nobodies at 140?

When he got demolished by Margarito?

When he was struggling with basic clottey?

When he got turned into gollum by PAC?

Or when he put in a spirited effort against floyd mayweather?

Comment

When he crushed Quintana, Urkal, Judah, Gomez, and outboxed Mosley. That was prime Cotto. Who has made the arguement he's prime now?

Comment

i think his prime is 147, despite the losses there
                    he could take a hefty punch at the weight and he was pretty speedy
                    at 154 he has gotten slow

no fighter is perfect, cotto fought his nightmare styles in margarito and pacquiao but i think his resolve got better after margarito, in the pacquiao fight he seemed damn motivated in not giving up and seeing the final bell

to answer the thread, he's the best puerto rican "boxer" i've seen, one of my favourite fighters and seriously does anyone know a boring miguel cotto fight?

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                      When he crushed Quintana, Urkal, Judah, Gomez, and outboxed Mosley. That was prime Cotto. Who has made the arguement he's prime now?
                      That's nowhere near good enough to be considered a great fighter

Discussion over

Comment

Working...
                      X