No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Intends To Remain at The Amateur Level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Intends To Remain at The Amateur Level

ANTHONY JOSHUA insists he has not had a single offer to turn professional – and intends to stay amateur next year.

The 23-year-old, who won Olympic super-heavyweight gold at London 2012, said: “I’ve not had any offers from promoters.

“It’s clear that I’m looking to stay amateur so they have left me alone. As long as you work hard doors will open and I want to be world amateur champion.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

Winning the Olympics is the biggest achievement an amateur can get, i don't understand why he would want to continue instead of turning pro. After the Olympics was the perfect time, his popularity is only going to decline from here on. Maybe he doesn't want the pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
      Winning the Olympics is the biggest achievement an amateur can get, i don't understand why he would want to continue instead of turning pro. After the Olympics was the perfect time, his popularity is only going to decline from here on. Maybe he doesn't want the pressure?
      Joshua only put a pair of gloves on for the first time like 2 years ago and has only about 25 amateur fights for maybe 30 competitive rounds.

While I genuinely belive the kid is a natural talent, he still has a lot to learn, and even at amateur level he will be getting sparring with solid pros, and can learn a lot from mckracken.

The hype after the Olympics would have been ridiculous, and Joshua doesn't need it.

He also said he wanted to win the world amateur champs, and I think he's making the right call tbh

Comment

Definitely a good shout.

Hes 23, hes only been boxing a few years. Yes hes just won an olympics but so what?

Hes currently with a fantastic group of trainers and fighters who can teach him a lot. Hes getting well paid and theres so much he can do in amateur still. WSB, AIBA pros and the amateur world championships all there for the taking. Why would he rush to turn pro?

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
          Joshua only put a pair of gloves on for the first time like 2 years ago and has only about 25 amateur fights for maybe 30 competitive rounds.

While I genuinely belive the kid is a natural talent, he still has a lot to learn, and even at amateur level he will be getting sparring with solid pros, and can learn a lot from mckracken.

The hype after the Olympics would have been ridiculous, and Joshua doesn't need it.

He also said he wanted to win the world amateur champs, and I think he's making the right call tbh
          The guys probably had 40+ bouts now and has been boxing for 4-5 years. He's 23 he might as well turn pro. He can learn in the pro ranks at the early stages pretty easily unless he's got a terrible chin.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
            The guys probably had 40+ bouts now and has been boxing for 4-5 years. He's 23 he might as well turn pro. He can learn in the pro ranks at the early stages pretty easily unless he's got a terrible chin.

Wlad is going out on his back. I don't wanna say that I hate saying that cuz Wlad = gentleman and great ambassador for the sport, I love Wladimir to death, I love Wlad to death to death. Love him like a brother.

But the cold hard truth is , Wladimir is going out on his back either from a Wilder/Price/Fury right hand or from a Joshua Right hand. It's pretty much destined.

Comment

Good, there's no rush into the Professional game when you've only had a couple of years of Amatuer exp.

Comment

i'd have turned pro

he's 23 & already won a olympic gold medal. he may have limited amateur experience but he's already achieved the pinnacle of the amateurs. he could be moved along at a good pace on the trialhorse\domestic levels until he is ready to step up. he said he had no offers which is surprising but i'd prefer him to turn pro. look at the top 30 HWs & there are only a handful under 30. fury is 24 & has lots of experience already. he at 23 would have lots of time to gain pro experience.

Comment

Right decision IMO. He's got a fair bit to learn still and he's better serving that off in the AM's without the pressure.

Comment

I'm not sure if he should wait till the next olympics, he'll be 27 by then, turning pro that late might not work in his favour, most heavyweights start a decline by their mid-30s and he'll probably reach world level (if everything goes to plan) by about 31.

He wasn't all that convincing in the final itself but may be a year more as an amateur, picking up a few more tricks, then he must turn pro, if he wants a lengthy professional career and all that goes with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X