Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would defeating Margarito have done anything for Mayweathers legacy in retrospect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would defeating Margarito have done anything for Mayweathers legacy in retrospect

Looking back I just don't see how a win over him would enhance his already considerable resume....the fight was being considered between 2006-2008 and before Mayweather retired, Margarito had already lost to Paul Williams, and Daniel Santos who are no where near floyds league

to add to this only held the WBO title and that's not much incentive when at the time Mayweather had won lineal titles at 3/4 weight classes he competed in.

His biggest win didn't come until Mayweather retired when he beat Cotto

All in all Margarito was never a great fighter, he did notch some good wins but this boogeyman that Floyd avoided isn't what I see.

Just another fighter who gained hype because his promoter kept bring up Mayweather's name

in retrospect, Is a win over Margarito more meaningful than wins over Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales, Shane Mosley, Genaro Hernandez, Canelo Alvarez, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, or Cotto?

A win over Margarito and Cotto at that time instead of his fake retirement would of been a great thing.

Comment

Margo was considered a beast back then. One of the most avoided fighters..etc A win over Margo would've been a great win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
        A win over Margarito and Cotto at that time instead of his fake retirement would of been a great thing.
        Arum was not putting Cotto in with Mayweather at that time...they were still building him up.

I wouldn't have minded seeing him fight Margarito, but he more than made up for it by winning another lineal title at 154, regaining the lineal title at 147 and added wins over Canelo, Maidana, Mosley, and JMM...I JUST DONT THINK A WIN OVER MARGARITO WOULD HAVE MEANT MUCH IN THE LONG RUN, IT WOULD EVEN BE A TOP 5 WIN FOR MAYWEATHER

Comment

stupid thread, it would have been one of his better wins

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
            Margo was considered a beast back then. One of the most avoided fighters..etc A win over Margo would've been a great win.
            better than a win over Cotto, Mosely, ODLH?these guys are first ballot hall of famers....Margarito wont get in.... It would have been intriguing as a fan but as far as legacy, it would have meant no more than beating Maidana and Robert Guerrero.........

Comment

he ducked Margarito, get over it fanboy

Comment

Baldomir was just as good as him anyway, last time i checked margs was never lineal champ.

his name held literally no weight

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  Arum was not putting Cotto in with Mayweather at that time...they were still building him up.

I wouldn't have minded seeing him fight Margarito, but he more than made up for it by winning another lineal title at 154, regaining the lineal title at 147 and added wins over Canelo, Maidana, Mosley, and JMM...I JUST DONT THINK A WIN OVER MARGARITO WOULD HAVE MEANT MUCH IN THE LONG RUN, IT WOULD EVEN BE A TOP 5 WIN FOR MAYWEATHER
                  It would of been a better win than the guys you mentioned. Better than Maidana, Mosley(inactivity/no prime), Canelo, Marquez(no weight issue), Baldomir, Judah, and more. A prime Margarito was a beast. Was a top 5 WW for many many years. He was THE guy.

Comment

Hell no it wouldn't Margarito lost to everyone who was good.

Comment

Working...
                    X