Collapse
No announcement yet.

How it used to be...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone said it is because of Technology. No, it has nothing to do with Technology, the Internet, Social Media, because ALL SPORTS would be affected, not just Boxing! So John's question remains - why are the newspapers not focusing on Boxing as in the past. I don't know the real answer other than I think in ways Pac and Mayweather have helped Boxing but also hurt it by not fighting each others when ALL THE GREATS of the 70's/80's fought each other and Prima Donna's Pac and Floyd have not. Plus now the news has more to do with PED's than the inside life of a Boxer. If Guerrero beats Maweather, he becomes a great story of a Boxing Star who leads a crusade on Cancer. THAT deserves front page news for many reasons. Hey Ice.....it's me Richard......you know my last name starts with a "T" so I won't write it here for privacy but I wanted to give you a hollar out an say hi without giving myself away.
    Last edited by richardt; 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
      as said above... technology.. internet.. etc
      Wrong answer. All sports would be equally fazed by Technology, not just Boxing. Thats why the question came up regarding Boxing having to take a backseat on Newspapers.......the internet is an even playing field, but newpapers are no longer glorifying Boxing like they used to.

Comment

It's not on TV. Boxing (or its promoters) ran to the big bucks of HBO and their ilk, putting it out of the reach of a huge proportion of the US population. Of course people aren't as interested in it if it's not on their TV that much.

And why would the main networks stir up interest in a product that's controlled by HBO and Showtime? They wouldn't, and they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          It's not on TV. Boxing (or its promoters) ran to the big bucks of HBO and their ilk, putting it out of the reach of a huge proportion of the US population. Of course people aren't as interested in it if it's not on their TV that much. And why would the main networks stir up interest in a product that's controlled by HBO and Showtime? They wouldn't, and they don't.
          Very good answer!! Even though other sports are also on cable/dish networks too - the Super Bowl, the World Series, etc., are on free TV!! When was the last time current TOP fighters like Floyd, Pac, and other PFP fighters were on free TV? Never. There is a big part of the answer. That makes me dispise the fact that Canelo, Floyd, Pac, Chavez Junior, and other names charge an arm and a leg for PPV when the freaking Super Bowl, the World Series is on free TV!! The SUPERFIGHTS should be on free TV to build up interest but money grubbing a$$holes have monopolized the sport. I remember when Chavez Junior vs some clubfighter of the month was on PPV!!!!! Chavez's old PPV cards weren't even worthy of HBO/Showtime or even ShowBox, more like ESPN and yet they were on PPV!! What the absolute fuk??!!! Now I'm getting started....I need to calm down, lol. I could calm down a lot easier if I could punch out some Execs who helped move Boxing away from free TV......but at least NBC is sort of back in the Boxing Biz....this weekend as an example and now Floyd is working with CBS. But whoever put a number of those gravy train Chavez vs Clubfighter PPV cards together should have the crap beaten out of them. They were essentially charging PPV for an ESPN type of card. Money grubbing fuks using the Chavez name. But Juama was also on a PPV card 2 weeks ago right after losing 2 fights in a row by KO!!! Juanma vs a no name on PPV???? Anyone have an Alka Selzer by any chance??
          Last edited by richardt; 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It's because of the nature of the sport and more politically correct, humanitarian society that is being pushed - even though I think that is largely for show rather than a genuine ideology if you look at Guantanamo Bay, and the US attack and occupation of Iraq - the government are still very much war-mongering savages.

But a sport like boxing, where one of the main elements (for many fighters, not all) is to cause physical harm to the opponent, it's something which brings morality into question - at least that's the reason given for it's decline by the mainstream moral guardians. It's viewed as "barbaric" and "brutal". But like I say, it's hypocritical - they invade countries, murder innocent people and put that on display everywhere like a trophy, but they frown upon two men entering a ring for unarmed combat with strict rules and regulations to try and ensure their ultimate health and safety. Go figure.

Comment

I have tons of copies of the Milwaukee Journal that my grandfather kept, from the 40s-50s, and it's crazy how much boxing is in the paper.

Comment

I remember that era. I also remember getting up Saturday and Sunday and first thing checking the tv-guide to see what time all the fights were starting on free network tv. The afternoons were crowded with boxing action. Great times. We would have Tuesday night fights on USA, Monday night fights on Prime and another weekly show thanks to Top Rank and espn. Really, there were too many fights on tv a week! And I never missed a one!

Comment

But I do remember the times where boxing was not ignored by the main stream media. Shame on them! Their loss!

Comment

Boxing during that general era was at its peak in terms of being widely and frequently watch...so many big fights on free TV on so many different stations...

Comment

TBF I don't really know much about the sate of the boxing game in the States when it comes to mainstream coverage, but in the UK the big domestic fights or big fights involving domestic fighters usually get a lot of coverage in the mainstream media which can only be a positive for boxing in general.

Comment

Working...
                      X