Bloody Nose

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Nose

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent a bloody nose during boxing besides the obvious of not being hit?

Today, I was originally set to spar for four rounds but the session was stopped in the fourth after my nose started to bleed. It was only my second time sparring, and I was so upset with myself. I am 5'8 and 135-140 lbs. In the first round, I had sparred against someone who is 5'10- 5'11 and 160-170 lbs. The next rounds,I had sparred against someone who was 5'9 and about 150 lbs. Both these guys had been boxing for a long time. I had been eating quite a few jabs and straight rights from them (mostly jabs). I wasn't hurting or utterly exhausted when the session ended, just frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated..

Originally posted by six85
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent a bloody nose during boxing besides the obvious of not being hit?

Today, I was originally set to spar for four rounds but the session was stopped in the fourth after my nose started to bleed. It was only my second time sparring, and I was so upset with myself. I am 5'8 and 135-140 lbs. In the first round, I had sparred against someone who is 5'10- 5'11 and 160-170 lbs. The next rounds,I had sparred against someone who was 5'9 and about 150 lbs. Both these guys had been boxing for a long time. I had been eating quite a few jabs and straight rights from them (mostly jabs). I wasn't hurting or utterly exhausted when the session ended, just frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated..

Tell your coach you ain't a sissy and not to stop the sparring. When i first started boxing my nose bleed in every sparring for 1 month, then after 1 month my nose stopped bleeding, and i sparred every day, or at least 4 days of sparring.

What you can also do is go to a doctor and they put some **** in your nose that burns a vein and this is supposed to stop you from bleeding.

First gym i went too, the trainer didn't mind the sight of blood, one of my other trainer from another gym would stop the sparring when i made my team-mate bleed. Some coachs know its just part of boxing, while others are over protective.

Comment

My nose bleed continuously it seemed for the first 6 months of me boxing. It seemed like I would just step into the gym and suddenly I have dropplets of blood falling to the floor.

A bloody nose is no big deal. In time it will scar up and such and you wont have a whole lot of trouble with it. Mine used to bleed all of the time. Now, I eat a solid shot and nothing happens with it bleeding.

In the amatuer bouts they will stop a bout because of a bloody nose. Be sure that youve slowed some with the bleeding before stepping up.

Rockin'

Comment

Some bloody noses are because of genetics too I think. A friend of mine bleeds about 3x a week during school for no reason (not being hit, sneeze, nothing)His mother's the same way.

Me, I could get hit very hard but I won't bleed. It would hurt like crazy, but never bleed. My dad's the same way. We've both never had a bloddy nose in our lives unless it was a side effect to a medicine.

Comment

I'm lucky to never have had this problem. I never seem to bleed which I suppose is a huge benefit to have in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
            Tell your coach you ain't a sissy and not to stop the sparring. When i first started boxing my nose bleed in every sparring for 1 month, then after 1 month my nose stopped bleeding, and i sparred every day, or at least 4 days of sparring.
            First gym i went too, the trainer didn't mind the sight of blood, one of my other trainer from another gym would stop the sparring when i made my team-mate bleed. Some coachs know its just part of boxing, while others are over protective.
            I agree with ferocity.I also think so.You have to tell your coach you ain't a sissy and not to stop the sparring.& also that What you can also do is go to a doctor and they put some **** in your nose that burns a vein and this is supposed to stop you from bleeding.

Comment

cut your head off.

Comment

its just genetics i think.

just tell your coach to let u keep going, a bleeding nose is nothing.

i was lucky though, i had been boxing a year before my nose started bleeding for the first time. i obviously had been punched in it quite a bit, although not alot (im tall and rarely get hit with punches down the pipe, especially jabs). be that as it may my nose still would swell up but not bleed. up untli a few months back when i sparred a big super HW. his height bothered me more than anything, and his jab was stronger than a 141lbers right hand. which is were i fought at at time.

anyways, there isnt much u can do. put some vaseline on your nose before sparring maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  In the amatuer bouts they will stop a bout because of a bloody nose.
                  It has to be pretty bad before they stop the fight because of a bloody nose.

I've had my nose bloodied once and the ref didn't even pause it to wipe the blood or have the doctor check. I've also bloodied a couple of my opponents noses way worse than mine was and again the ref has never paused or stopped the fight.

Improve your defense first, it may just be bleeding because of the sheer volume of shots to the face you are taking. If that doesn't work go to the doc and get it cauterized.

Comment

My nose bleeds if you look at it wrong

I learned a little trick that really helped me. Before sparring, swab a small amount of vaseline IN each nostril. This helps keep the skin moist and pliable, so it doesn't tear as easily.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X