The Worst World Champions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worst World Champions?

Who were the worst world champs?

These are normally the guys you discover by accident.. You'll be watching a fight, and it suddenly dawns on you, How the hell did he become champ??

I'm sure every division must have one..

Because of the nature of the question.... Yes.... WBO can be included..

Here's a few, off the top of my head, that may/maybe not, be considered.

HW John Tate
    CW Tyrone Booze
    LHW JB Williamson
    SMW Vincenzo Nardiello
    MW Doug De Witt
    LMW Duane Thomas
    WW Manning Galloway
    LWW Carlos Mausa

Plenty of room for debate just on the above mentioned, but there's a whole lot more.. Think I may have been a little unkind to DeWitt lol, but we'll see..

List is endless if you considerin cats who simply held any 1 of the 4 belts and wasn't lineal.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
      List is endless if you considerin cats who simply held any 1 of the 4 belts and wasn't lineal.
      That's the whole idea.. Not endless, but a lot of possibilities that are cordially open for debate..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        That's the whole idea.. Not endless, but a lot of possibilities that are cordially open for debate..
        Oh. Well you go back further than me so most of who I'd name would just be cats from the late 70s up. There have been dozens of 'champions' who ain't truly fit the bill. Some were at least decent fighters I suppose but there's been many subpar cats who got their hands on a belt. And keepin wit serious world champs the 1st name to my mind was Baldomir. Can't believe he became world champ, and rightfully undisputed if not for $ issues.

Comment

Who were the worst world champs?

These are normally the guys you discover by accident.. You'll be watching a fight, and it suddenly dawns on you, How the hell did he become champ??

I'm sure every division must have one..

Because of the nature of the question.... Yes.... WBO can be included..

Here's a few, off the top of my head, that may/maybe not, be considered.

HW John Tate
          CW Tyrone Booze
          LHW JB Williamson
          SMW Vincenzo Nardiello
          MW Doug De Witt
          LMW Duane Thomas
          WW Manning Galloway
          LWW Carlos Mausa

Plenty of room for debate just on the above mentioned, but there's a whole lot more.. Think I may have been a little unkind to DeWitt lol, but we'll see..
          JOHN TATE - was a good fighter - his fights are very sought after and IMO Tate would be favourite to beat ALL the current heavyweight claimants.

TYRONE BOOZE - Good fighter who held his own against IBHOF ers Holyfield, Qawi & Eddie Mustapha Muhammad, he came over to the UK in 92 and put on a brutal power-punching display to KO undeteated Derek Angol.. i would fancy BOOZE to beat all of the current Top 10 cruiserweights today.

DOUG DEWITT - A real tough-cookie who always gave value-for-money in his fights and took part in some humdingers, Dewitt was good enough to defeat, Robbie Sims (defeated Duran), Dan Sherry (gave Eubank fits), Mathew Hilton (Brutal punching ex champ), Tony Thornton (pushed Eubank all the way). Don Lee (knocked out Sibson)..Dewitt took the bombs of Thomas Hearns on the chin without flinching and only succumed to Nigel Benn towards the tail-end of his career..Dewitt would be a top contender if not a champion today.

DUANE THOMAS - Kronk fighter trained by Manny Stewart and trained alongside Hearns, McCallum & McCrory, good enough to beat Sumbu Kalambay which tells how good his boxing ability was, knocked out John Mugabi (claimed he was thumbed) then robbed of title over in France on dubious decision.

The rest on your list i agree they are not the greatest of World Champions we have seen.

Worst undisputed Champion Ever -- Hasim Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
            Oh. Well you go back further than me so most of who I'd name would just be cats from the late 70s up. There have been dozens of 'champions' who ain't truly fit the bill. Some were at least decent fighters I suppose but there's been many subpar cats who got their hands on a belt. And keepin wit serious world champs the 1st name to my mind was Baldomir. Can't believe he became world champ, and rightfully undisputed if not for $ issues.
            Precisely!.. This debate is ideal for the younger posters, as the fighters in question will without doubt, have emerged from 1980 onwards.. Poor fighters simply wouldn't get a shot, back in the day..

I'd say Boldomir made up for his short comings with toughness and durabillity...

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              JOHN TATE - was a good fighter - his fights are very sought after and IMO Tate would be favourite to beat ALL the current heavyweight claimants.

TYRONE BOOZE - Good fighter who held his own against IBHOF ers Holyfield, Qawi & Eddie Mustapha Muhammad, he came over to the UK in 92 and put on a brutal power-punching display to KO undeteated Derek Angol.. i would fancy BOOZE to beat all of the current Top 10 cruiserweights today.

DOUG DEWITT - A real tough-cookie who always gave value-for-money in his fights and took part in some humdingers, Dewitt was good enough to defeat, Robbie Sims (defeated Duran), Dan Sherry (gave Eubank fits), Mathew Hilton (Brutal punching ex champ), Tony Thornton (pushed Eubank all the way). Don Lee (knocked out Sibson)..Dewitt took the bombs of Thomas Hearns on the chin without flinching and only succumed to Nigel Benn towards the tail-end of his career..Dewitt would be a top contender if not a champion today.

DUANE THOMAS - Kronk fighter trained by Manny Stewart and trained alongside Hearns, McCallum & McCrory, good enough to beat Sumbu Kalambay which tells how good his boxing ability was, knocked out John Mugabi (claimed he was thumbed) then robbed of title over in France on dubious decision.

The rest on your list i agree they are not the greatest of World Champions we have seen.

Worst undisputed Champion Ever -- Hasim Rahman
              Tate was a poorman's Riddick Bowe, who fought in worse shape as well as worse company.. I clearly remember him running round the ring with Mike Weaver in persuit sploshing at the back of his head.. He then went on to lose to Noel Quarless of all people.. Good he was NOT..

Tyrone Booze was a fat guy with a mass of defeats, who very briefly had a sneek at the WBO title, and will NOT be remembered for anything..

I've already said that I may have been unkind to DeWitt, but lets face it.. A close DC to blown up LM Hilton, and a loss to Benn in his 1st defense isn't anything to write home about..

Duane Thomas DID thumb John Mugabe in the eye.. This was a shot Mugabe to.. He then failed in his 1st defense and disappeared off the face of the earth, and you think he's good? lol
              Last edited by mickey malone; 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

The WORST champ ever?

Well, try and take a look at the record of former welterweight champion Waldemar Holberg!

He was champion for all of 23 days back in 1914, and compiled a record of 44-24-5 from 1908 to 1921... with 39 of those wins coming against opponents with little pro experience (10 fights or less).

And many of the men who actually beat him were complete beginners with just 3 or 4 fights under their belt!

Simply amazing how bad this guy was!

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                  The WORST champ ever?

Well, try and take a look at the record of former welterweight champion Waldemar Holberg!

He was champion for all of 23 days back in 1914, and compiled a record of 44-24-5 from 1908 to 1921... with 39 of those wins coming against opponents with little pro experience (10 fights or less).

And many of the men who actually beat him were complete beginners with just 3 or 4 fights under their belt!

Simply amazing how bad this guy was!
                  Good contribution! Heard of the name Holberg, but that's about it..
                  Wil do some research.. Thanks for that!

Comment

Tate was a poorman's Riddick Bowe, who fought in worse shape as well as worse company.. I clearly remember him running round the ring with Mike Weaver in persuit sploshing at the back of his head.. He then went on to lose to Noel Quarless of all people.. Good he was NOT..

Tyrone Booze was a fat guy with a mass of defeats, who very briefly had a sneek at the WBO title, and will NOT be remembered for anything..

I've already said that I may have been unkind to DeWitt, but lets face it.. A close DC to blown up LM Hilton, and a loss to Benn in his 1st defense isn't anything to write home about..

Duane Thomas DID thumb John Mugabe in the eye.. This was a shot Mugabe to.. He then failed in his 1st defense and disappeared off the face of the earth, and you think he's good? lol
                    John Tate - won virtually every minute of the full 15rds distance against a prime Mike"hercules"Weaver and with 45 seconds remaining in the final round Weaver caught him with a monster uppercut than left Tate face-down on the canvas.. Trevor Berbick was the fighter running after John Tate hitting him in the back of the head not Weaver.. Tate was good enough to beat Gerrie Coetzee over in South Africa also Kallie Knoetze, Duane Bobick & Bernado Mercado... as for Noel Quarless beating Tate, we might as well ridicule Sugar Ray Robinson for losing his final fight to Honolulu barman Stan Hernandez.

Tyrone Booze - i have 3 of his fights and seen him fight live` on one occasion, he was a decent fighter who knew how to handle himself in the ring, he was a sparring partner in philly for all the great light-heavyweights of the 80s Braxton, Spinks, Gregory, Franklin, Johnson... who are these `mass of defeats` against?

Duane Thomas - beat Mugabi fairly easily landing a vicious left-hook that staggered a prime Mugabi who turned away claiming he had been hit with a thumb (quit) this fight was only 6 months after Mugabi lost to Marvin Hagler.. after the defeat to Duane Thomas 6 weeks later Mugabi was back in the ring scoring a 2rd KO he then reeled off 11 straight KO victories so was a long way from shot`... Thomas lost a desputed decision over in France in his 1st title defence, he lost to Gianfranco Rosi over in Italy before becoming heavily into Drugs and was shot and killed in Detroit a few years later.... yes he was a good fighter

Doug DeWitt - KOd Mathew Hilton the same Hilton who was a tremendous puncher and was fancied by many to rule the roost at Middleweight... beat Kalambay & Haglers brother Robbie Sims.... its clear your knowledge of boxing is very limited when claiming Doug Dewitt was ****e`

Comment

Working...
                    X