No announcement yet.

Litzau, Rodriguez, Perez, Escobedo, DeMarco, Rees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litzau, Rodriguez, Perez, Escobedo, DeMarco, Rees

DeMarco was a legit win, topped with a very good performance.

Litzau, while not a great fighter, had just beaten the highly-rated Caballero.

The punching power is very serious, it's causing everyone problems, and helping him out while he's dropping rounds to fighters he shouldn't be.

Anyone who tries to fight him on the inside is getting beat up.

He's improved hugely in all these fights, finding his identity the more he imitates Floyd less in the ring.

However.....

It's not exactly a murder's row since he fought (and IMO, lost) to PDL.

Perez, Rodriguez, Rees were complete and utter mis-matches. Rodriguez, especially, was a farce of a fight.

Escobedo is.....Escobedo. We saw what Cherry did to him last night (let me guess, The Problem took his soul in that way B-Hop used to take his opponents).

Is this enough to be p4p number 6?

No hating. But I do think people are being way too quick to anoint this kid as a future great. Compare this to the run someone like Mares is on.

We need to see how he does when he really faces adversity. He did against PDL and didn't do great but OK, let's chalk that up to lack of experience.

140 is going to be a big, big step up in quality.

Gratuitous bump....

Comment

Ponce was a close fight, I thought it could have gone either way. I had it a draw when it went down.

Ponce, Litzau, and DeMarco were legit wins in my opinion. Ponce has since proved he's still a good fighter, Litzau was Top 10 at 130 and was coming off a good win over Caballero like you said. And DeMarco was the #1 at 135, coming off two good wins of his own.

Rodriguez was what had to happen to get the title, because Burns avoided fighting him and vacated the title. I can't really fault him for that fight, though it was a mismatch obviously. Escobedo was ehhh, he's a contender. Nothing more or less. Rees and Perez proved to be mismatches, but at the very least they were Top 10 at 135 and 135 at least, and Perez was his mandatory.

He has 3 legit wins in my opinion, a couple other okay wins. He shouldn't be Top 10 P4P though, obviously. Not enough good wins yet. But say Burns beats Vazquez, and Broner beats Burns to have 3 titles at 135, plus the RING title there. Than if he were to have another solid win after that, I think he gets in the Top 10 for me.

Comment

DeLeon, Litzau, Perez, Escobedo and Rees are all solid wins, at best.

The only win he has so far that's better than solid is DeMarco.

Comment

The pound for pound ranking is premature and the expectations are the result of the skills he displays in the ring (speed, power, good body puncher, quick reflexes, defense, combinations, etc.) But with that said, he has a very good work ethic and takes every fight serious.

Skill-wise, he's not the next Floyd Mayweather. He's a combination of James Toney and Roy Jones Jr. (not in terms of greatness but you get what I mean so don't twist my words). He's offensive minded and athletically gifted while at the same time a very well schooled fundamentally sound fighter.

But he still has a long way to go. Appointing him boxing's next superstar is what's needed for HBO to generate ratings for their boxing programs which I don't have a problem with.

There are good fights at 135 that have to happen and that's the winners of Burns/Vasquez and Abril/Bogere. With Burns and Abril, you have two technically sound boxers that won't be standing in the pocket with him. In those fights, we will see some additional wrinkles in Broner's arsenal that we haven't seen yet and we will really see his real ring IQ and ability to make in-fight adjustments.

There should be no rush to 140, especially at 23 years old.

Comment

I actually rate DeLeon higher than I rate DeMarco. DeMarco to me is, to quote Tyson Fury, 'a big stiff idiot'. He has good stamina, but he's slow and doesn't have anywhere near enough skill to compete with a talented guy like Broner. I predicted Broner to stop him and not lose a round.

DeLeon is the best win on the Broner resume, and he should have lost that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
              There are good fights at 135 that have to happen and that's the winners of Burns/Vasquez and Abril/Bogere. With Burns and Abril, you have two technically sound boxers that won't be standing in the pocket with him. In those fights, we will see some additional wrinkles in Broner's arsenal that we haven't seen yet and we will really see his real ring IQ and ability to make in-fight adjustments.

There should be no rush to 140, especially at 23 years old.
              I agree, I think Broner vs Burns is a very intriguing fight - though the fact that Team Burns have avoided the fight twice is quite telling. Burns is a little underrated, and like Broner, is improving fight to fight.

Vasquez would be a difficult fight but Vasquez's style is a little stinky, so I'm not totally enthused about that fight but it would be interesting to see how Broner dealt with his movement and off-rhythm style.

All this talk about 140 is going to make him complacent about his weight.

Comment

Why so many damn broner threads lol. And it's not like so many credible places have him top 10. One magazine puts him in top 10 and people act like it means anything. Broner is one of my fav fighters but I think majority of fans know he's not top 10 yet

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                  I actually rate DeLeon higher than I rate DeMarco. DeMarco to me is, to quote Tyson Fury, 'a big stiff idiot'. He has good stamina, but he's slow and doesn't have anywhere near enough skill to compete with a talented guy like Broner. I predicted Broner to stop him and not lose a round.

DeLeon is the best win on the Broner resume, and he should have lost that fight.
                  The thing is, Broner handled DeMarco better than Valero did. Valero dominated but Broner really busted him up. That's impressive, especially as DeMarco was on a nice run with Linares and Molina.

I gotta watch the PDL fight again, he was really really poor and I definitely had PDL winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                    I agree, I think Broner vs Burns is a very intriguing fight - though the fact that Team Burns have avoided the fight twice is quite telling. Burns is a little underrated, and like Broner, is improving fight to fight.

Vasquez would be a difficult fight but Vasquez's style is a little stinky, so I'm not totally enthused about that fight but it would be interesting to see how Broner dealt with his movement and off-rhythm style.

All this talk about 140 is going to make him complacent about his weight.
                    Meh, he would have beaten him before he ran from 130 and he'd beat him now.

Comment

Working...
                    X