No announcement yet.

Bob Arum: "Ali was more selfish, Manny is about helping the people"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    You're WRONG !! His name WAS Cassius Clay, and he changed it to Muhammed Ali.

46 years ago, ignoramus.

Comment

Originally posted by wazaa. View Post
      “Ali was a wonderful guy, for sure, but I would say Ali was more selfish, more about himself, where Manny is about helping the people, especially the poorest of people.”

I love Manny but why does Bob have to talk badly about Ali to make Manny look good. In fact, by saying this he is making Manny look bad.

I can't stand Bob Arum . I bet he will talk badly about Manny aswell after Manny is retired and Bob found his new cash cow.

Freddie Roach was with Amir Khan and a contingent of British media representatives just beside Central Park in New York when he learnt that Manny Pacquiao was close to being confirmed as Congressman for Sarangani Province, in the filipino elections, late on Monday night.

Through Monday, updated reports confirmed that Pacquiao was well ahead of his political rival, Roy Chongbian, a member of the ruling dynasty.

“Pacquiao won, and by landslide victory, I’m told,” said Roach. Was he concerned that Pacquiao could now be distracted ? “I don’t think so. It makes me excited because we are now going to have Congressman Pacquiao knock out Floyd Mayweather,” Roach told The Telegraph.

Roach is convinced that the fight will be made, while promoter Bob Arum is looking for a November 17 date. “I still think it needs to happen. It would be a shame if it didn’t happen. We need the best meeting the best in boxing. We will meet somewhere in the middle and I’m sure we are going to work it out,” he added.

Roach revealed that he had missed a call from The Philippines while conducting a round table interview with Amir Khan, ahead of the British fighter’s second WBA light-welterweight defence against Paulie Malignaggi at the Theater in Madison Square Garden on Saturday night.

“I just got a call from The Philippines during the round table. I might have just missed a call from Manny there. I’m sure he’s elated. It’s his ambition to improve his country. I’m not concerned that he will lose his love of boxing. He won’t be distracted. He still knows what he does best. Without boxing, he wouldn’t be where he is today. He knows that. He’s a boxer first. He still has that hunger and hopefully it will now make his fire burn that little bit brighter.”

Meanwhile, promoter Bob Arum had travelled to The Philippines to see Pacquiao, insisting to Michael Marley that: “He [Manny] is different to me than Muhammad Ali was, than Marvin Hagler was, than how any of my other great fighters were.”

“Ali was a wonderful guy, for sure, but I would say Ali was more selfish, more about himself, where Manny is about helping the people, especially the poorest of people.”

“I am so glad the kid won because he deserved to win. He went into his own pocket for a lot of money and he did without thinking of his own financial gain. With all the thrills, all the great champions I have had, this was something really special.”

“I am so proud of this kid, I really am,” Arum said. “I came over thinking he would go down to defeat but he is smart, he learned from his first election and hired smart political people with a grassroots campaign aimed at the poor people who love and identify with his life story. The whole thing is just so wonderful.”

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...yd-mayweather/

but arum is a piece of horse ****

Comment

Originally posted by wazaa. View Post
        His name was Ali. MUHAMMAD ALI. Say it, SAY IT !! Whats his name?!
        "His mama call him Clay, imma call him Clay"- Coming to America

Bob Arum gets greasier and grimier with each passing day, scumbag needs to stop talking

Comment

You're WRONG !! His name WAS Cassius Clay, and he changed it to Muhammed Ali.
          "Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it, and I didn't want it. I am Muhammad Ali, a free name - it means beloved of God - and I insist people use it when speaking to me and of me." - Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
            46 years ago, ignoramus.
            What has "46 years ago" to do with the facts....genius??

Do facts, perhaps change.......after 46 years....Eh ??

Comment

What has "46 years ago" to do with the facts....genius??

Do facts, perhaps change.......after 46 years....Eh ??

It means he hasn't been "Clay" for a long time. To refer to him as such shows your ignorance. And the only reason why you're making that reference is to disrespect the man. Understand now, Tunney light?

Comment

Originally posted by matic21 View Post
                "Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it, and I didn't want it. I am Muhammad Ali, a free name - it means beloved of God - and I insist people use it when speaking to me and of me." - Muhammad Ali
                It makes no difference WHAT he said. (I even remember him actually saying it). As was pointed out at the time by smarter people than Mr. Ali, people CAN'T chose the name they are born with, so whether he "chose it" or not, makes no difference to the fact. {Except to a Dumbo}.

I hope that we've all finished with this load of "name" crap for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
                  It means he hasn't been "Clay" for a long time. To refer to him as such shows your ignorance. And the only reason why you're making that reference is to disrespect the man. Understand now, Tunney light?
                  I really don't know why you are attacking me, I was just correcting a point of fact, I don't either respect or disrespect him, I don't even think he was "The Greatest", and neither did 100% of his contemporaries, and I'm certain that he couldn't care less. Perhaps it's only a guy like you Haemmorhoid, who worries about what names people use....or abuse.

Comment

I really don't know why you are attacking me, I was just correcting a point of fact, I don't either respect or disrespect him, I don't even think he was "The Greatest", and neither did 100% of his contemporaries, and I'm certain that he couldn't care less. Perhaps it's only a guy like you Haemmorhoid, who worries about what names people use....or abuse.

I've read enough of your post to know your agenda. So expect more of the same when you make stupid comments, Tunney light. 100 percent of Ali's contemporaries don't think Ali was the greatest, huh?

Frank: In your book you say Ali is the best ever. Do you believe that?

Norton: As far as I’ve been around, yes.

Frank: Is Ali the best fighter you ever fought?

Norton: Yes.

Frank: Who was stronger, Muhammad Ali or Larry Holmes?

Norton: Oh Ali definitely, Ali was very strong but because he wasn't a one punch KO artist it is overlooked. Hitting Ali in the body or on the arms was like hitting a piece of cement.

Think before you speak. Or at least read a book.
                    Last edited by Calilloyd; 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      He does that with every fighter he has. Remember when he used to call Floyd the greatest thing since water?
                      you mean when he said this....

Bob Arum on Mayweather:

“Floyd is the best fighter i’ve seen in 40 years other than the young Muhammad Ali, there are a number of aspects that make a great fighter. One is speed. His speed is phenomenal. The way he throws punches, phenomenal. The way he is conditioned, phenomenal. I mean, he’s the entire whole package. And beside all of those skills he’s the most intelligent fighter that I have ever seen. I mean, Floyd, this is no bull****; Floyd can see a punch coming before the other guy knows he’s going to throw it. Do you understand that? I mean, I have never seen such ring intelligence that Floyd demonstrates. And so he’s the whole package, and you know, Ray Leonard was a great fighter, Marvin Hagler was a great fighter, Duran certainly was great, Oscar had a couple of years where he was very good, but there’s nobody that is a whole package like Floyd.”

Comment

Working...
                      X