Mayweather Mitt work all shallow?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
    Barry,

I understand the goal of "Mayweather style" mitt work, however I do not understand why the exact same principles cannot be used whilst using proper punching technique and power.

Would it not be more effective if:

1) The boxer used proper punching form / power ?
    2) The pad holder (I'm reluctant to use the word coach as for some I have seen this term would be clearly inaccurate) didn't move the pads to meet the incoming punches (how often does an opponent move his head / body into incoming punches?)?
    3) The pad holder actually threw shots back aiming for the boxer rather than tapping him on the shoulder (as most pad holders I have watched do)?

On the whole, the combinations / defenses that most of the "Mayweather Style" pad holders use are sound and I often use similar sequences myself during pad work. However, I make sure the boxer throws punches using correct form / and power (obviously sometimes things are done slower / with out power whilst learning the sequence), I make sure I throw shots back at a realistic speed and with intent to hit the boxer with some force so he must move his head. I make sure the power is there especially when the boxer has to catch my hook to replicate the effect this has on their balance (obviously I take the sting off it if I see they aren't going to catch it - I don't want to hurt them) - those taps I see on videos do not replicate how a shot landing on the guard affect balance.

Now I can see the reasons why an accomplished full-time professional boxer may use this style of mitt work - He should by now know how to punch with correct form. The "Mayweather style" pad work provides a low impact alternative / extra session to more demanding training.

However, why a coach would try and teach a novice "Mayweather style" pad work is beyond me ? Surely, you can see this is counter productive and only reinforces bad habits ?

Also, with a novice amateur boxer who gets limited pad work time with his coach, surely standard pad work would be more beneficial?

If you can put together a logically sound argument against the above then props to you, however I suspect you won't be able to and will ignore the above.
    I think any real amateur coach would agree that punching the mitts with power and proper form is better for any novice if not just for the endurance work alone. When you have a hundred kids a day that want you to hold the pads for them 2 rounds of paddy cake wont cut it.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the above is irrelevant and has no bearing on the questions I asked.
      Glad you can recognize sarcasm. It goes well with your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
        Glad you can recognize sarcasm. It goes well with your questions.
        I was kind of hoping for a more mature discussion mate.

My questions are genuine. I cannot see the value of doing things incorrectly.

So far, no one is able to answer my questions. Instead, we have resorted to childish sarcasm.

Comment

I was kind of hoping for a more mature discussion mate.

My questions are genuine. I cannot see the value of doing things incorrectly.

So far, no one is able to answer my questions. Instead, we have resorted to childish sarcasm.
          I was kind of hoping for more logical questions -- or was I wrong for giving you the benefit of the doubt?

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
            I agree. Nobody should do any type of Reactive, Defense, Rhythym, Timing work. I have thought about and especially after reading this article, it's pointless. That's why they have double end bags and speed bags. I think from now on I am just gonna send athletes to the various bags and punching devices for 4 rounds a piece. While they are working I will occasionally come up and give instructions. That method has made 4 of 5 people that enter the gym a champion. I get it now, If it aint broke, don't fix it.
            I agree with you. I have seen the error of my ways. I never teach technique. The only thing I have done my whole career is Reactive Pad Work. I always disregard footwork, balance, film study, visualization, psychology etc.. Well I'm glad I'm on this forum. I have now seen that me only doing reactive mitts is not good. I want to delete my YouTube channel. Frankly I'm embarrassed. This article, your comment, and the other comments are on point. I wa wrong. You win
            Are you 12 years old? Seriously.....

How many times do I have to say that I'm NOT OPPOSED TO IT AND SEE IT'S BENEFIT?

My only argument was that trainers shouldn't ONLY be showing that. I doubt very much you even bothered reading the article. Seriously man, your too old to be acting like this on a boxing forum. If you come here to be praised and get "recognition" then you should just set up a Facebook page and have people like you.

We discuss boxing here, debate, agree, disagree but we talk boxing. Grow up man, seriously and don't distort what I try and say. I'm not opposed to Mayweather style mitts but I do think that teaching that alone isn't good and it's a lagit question to ask if it has it's benefits in actual sparring or fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Are you 12 years old? Seriously.....

How many times do I have to say that I'm NOT OPPOSED TO IT AND SEE IT'S BENEFIT?

My only argument was that trainers shouldn't ONLY be showing that. I doubt very much you even bothered reading the article. Seriously man, your too old to be acting like this on a boxing forum. If you come here to be praised and get "recognition" then you should just set up a Facebook page and have people like you.

We discuss boxing here, debate, agree, disagree but we talk boxing. Grow up man, seriously and don't distort what I try and say. I'm not opposed to Mayweather style mitts but I do think that teaching that alone isn't good and it's a lagit question to ask if it has it's benefits in actual sparring or fighting.
              No, you will not be dictating what I post here no matter how you try to disguise your intentions.

Personally, I think your all talk. Produce a video of training. That can be done in your house... a simple technique or explanation. Your all talk. I'm not stopping your shine. You talk and I post examples.

Cheers Buddy

Comment

No, you will not be dictating what I post here no matter how you try to disguise your intentions.

Personally, I think your all talk. Produce a video of training. That can be done in your house... a simple technique or explanation. Your all talk. I'm not stopping your shine. You talk and I post examples.

Cheers Buddy
                Who is trying to tell you what to post? You post things here and then don't like it when people comment in a way that isn't completely flattering to you.

I never disrespected you just talk boxing and we won't agree with everything. The problem is, you can't take any other position than your own and act like a child by twisting what I say and posting sarcastic remarks instead of answering like an adult.

Also, if you don't believe I'm a trainer, I don't really care and don't need to post videos of me training to prove it to you. To let you know though, there are a few here who have seen videos of me training because I have sent them videos on request but because I work at a pro gym, I don't want to be posting videos of the gym without them knowing.

I'm just not that kind of person that needs to be recognized to get some type of satisfaction. You want to talk boxing, that would be great but you shouldn't answer in ways that is un truthful. I never said Mayweather style mitts was useless, I just questioned their validity in an actual fighting situation which I think is a lagit question. I wasn't the only one btw.

Comment

Who is trying to tell you what to post? You post things here and then don't like it when people comment in a way that isn't completely flattering to you.

I never disrespected you just talk boxing and we won't agree with everything. The problem is, you can't take any other position than your own and act like a child by twisting what I say and posting sarcastic remarks instead of answering like an adult.

Also, if you don't believe I'm a trainer, I don't really care and don't need to post videos of me training to prove it to you. To let you know though, there are a few here who have seen videos of me training because I have sent them videos on request but because I work at a pro gym, I don't want to be posting videos of the gym without them knowing.

I'm just not that kind of person that needs to be recognized to get some type of satisfaction. You want to talk boxing, that would be great but you shouldn't answer in ways that is un truthful. I never said Mayweather style mitts was useless, I just questioned their validity in an actual fighting situation which I think is a lagit question. I wasn't the only one btw.
                  Right, your gym is secretive and high profile.. I guess more that Robert Garcia's in Oxnard. Right Champ.

Good Luck with your Career. See you at the top

Comment

Right, your gym is secretive and high profile.. I guess more that Robert Garcia's in Oxnard. Right Champ.

Good Luck with your Career. See you at the top
                    See once again, you act like a 12 year old. You should be embarrassed to be talking like this at your age. It's not that my gym is secretive, it's that I don't have permission to be posting videos of our fighters, our gym so I won't do it.

Like I said, I have pm'd videos of sparring and me training some boxers and MMA fighters.
                    Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

See once again, you act like a 12 year old. You should be embarrassed to be talking like this at your age. It's not that my gym is secretive, it's that I don't have permission to be posting videos of our fighters, our gym so I won't do it.

Like I said, I have pm'd videos of sparring and me training some boxers and MMA fighters.
                      right, right. got you

I don't work for anyone. So im not familiar with these types of restrictions. It's a childish way of life

Comment

Working...
                      X