Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Legend of Darnell Boone (open challenge to 160)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sergey Kovalev View Post
    GGG kills him faster than Kovalev-Boone II
    Yes true, he does now. But back when GGG was struggling with the Gardner's and Ouma's of the world, that would have been when Boone would have been a good challenge for GGG. But I think GGG had the style to run past Boone, he has a good chin.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx.. View Post
      Yep, i just laugh how people only talk about Ward being dropped by him and leave out everything else
      Oh...there it is. The underlying motive of this thread.

I was at that fight...was on the undercard of mayweather vs mitchell in portland.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
        Was Boone ever a full time fighter? Or he balanced boxing with another job?
        A pitty if that was the case, he was a tough guy with a huge punch.
        Apparently Deezol was more of a street fighter who happened upon boxing cos there was no one else to take his kid brother to the gym. According to an interview I read one of his first spars was Kell Pavlik, who beat the snot out of him, but obviously he found something he liked in the sport. Properly managed he could easily have been a champ, and it's hard to think of any active fighter with a better list of names on his resume - from Lara at 154 to Kovalev and Stevenson at 175, and everything in between. Horribly mismanaged career though - for a good stretch he was allowing his mates to pick fights for him, and many, maybe most of his fights have been a short notice .. even just a coupla of weeks.

WAR DEEZOL!!

Comment

Boone was that dude. Separated the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

Anyone who bad mouths Boone knows nothing about the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Yes true, he does now. But back when GGG was struggling with the Gardner's and Ouma's of the world, that would have been when Boone would have been a good challenge for GGG. But I think GGG had the style to run past Boone, he has a good chin.
              @ struggling

But yeah Boone probably would have been a decent fight for him earlier on.

Comment

It's hard af to find footage of some of Boone's fights. Can't find Kovalev/Boone 1, can only find a low quality snippet of Boone/Stevenson etc

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  He's way past it now. But he used to be very dangerous. I would love to see his fight vs Kovalev, the first one, that ended in SD. It was close enough that a rematch was needed. I could never find that fight. For some reason only the rematch is available. And then there's a ****ty version of his KO of Stevenson. Lara schooled that guy at 6-0 a while before he fought Kovalev and Stevenson twice.
                  I heard the Boone-Kovalev tape was destroyed. Also heard they changed the weight class the day before the Stevenson rematch. A lot of shady stuff went on with that fight

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                    @ struggling

But yeah Boone probably would have been a decent fight for him earlier on.
                    if it isn't a complete domination by GGG with a knock out ending then it's struggling.

if you ask Boone who is better GGG or Ward... he says GGG. (he was his sparring partner i believe).

Comment

Originally posted by larryx.. View Post
                      I saw an unfavorable account of Darnell Boone, so this post is necessary, I dare any Undefeated prospect at 160/154 to face Darnell Boone, even the current older version & still we will get to see some nice Knockouts

Boone fought as low as 156 without having to drain weight (5'6" fella who is listed 5'7") & instead matchmakers gave him fights way above his weight/height/reach, yet Boone made the best of it
                      Andre Ward only KD in his life was (because of Boone)
                      Adonis Stevenson is 27-1-0 (because of Boone)
                      Sergey Kovalev lost his 100% Ko ratio (because of Boone)
                      Sergey Kovalev down for the first time (because of Boone)
                      Lennox Allen is 20-0-1 (because of Boone)
                      Morgan Fitch is 16-0-1 (because of Boone)
                      James Countryman is 14-1-0 (because of Boone)
                      Ronalid Johnson is 11-1-0 (because of Boone)
                      GGG opponent(Monroe) only lost once (because of Boone)
                      KO Artist James Johnson quit boxing (because of Boone)
                      Lajuan Simon has 2 draws (because of Boone)
                      Judges made extra $ SD, MD, UD (because of Boone)
                      It is annoying when guys like Boone get **** on. I wish I could remember who it was on these forums a few months ago who made a great statement about Boone, but I'll paraphrase. Without the Boones of the world, boxing just is'nt the same. Guys like him are an absolute necessity to the sport. Guys like him seperate real prospects from pretenders. I've seen the guy fight many times and he is twice the fighter tha half of these undefeated prospects I see running around flapping their gums, claim to be.

I don't know if I agree with the one poster that claimed he could of been a champion, but with a good trainer, manager and promoter behind him he could of been a lot more than a low level stepping stone.

Comment

Working...
                      X