No announcement yet.

Arum: Khan was rejected for Pacquiao fight by cable/satellite distributors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arum: Khan was rejected for Pacquiao fight by cable/satellite distributors

By Scott Gilfoid: If you’re wondering why Amir Khan wasn’t selected as Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent for his 4/9 fight on HBO PPV, it’s because he was rejected by the Cable and satellite distributors, according to Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank.

They rejected the 29-year-old Khan for a variety of reasons for the Pacquiao fight. First of all, they felt that Khan’s record was blemished with defeats, and they weren’t impressed with his ratings for previous fights.

If Khan couldn’t bring in good ratings on regular Showtime or HBO, then it’s likely that he wouldn’t pull in the fans for a pay-per-view fight against Pacquiao. They also thought that Khan wouldn’t perform. I’m not entirely sure what they mean by that, but my guess is they thought Khan would run around the ring trying to keep from getting hit by Pacquiao all night long.

Khan moves a lot, and he does a lot of shoving and putting his opponents in headlocks and leaning on the back of their necks. Some of the stuff Khan does isn’t as bad as it used to be before he started training with Virgil Hunter in the Bay Area in Northern California. Given that Khan is no longer the most active fighters, it’s quite possible that his old habits might have crept back in with him not training a lot anymore.

“They didn’t feel Khan would do anything,” Arum said to the latimes.com about the cable and satellite distributors rejecting Khan as an opponent for Pacquiao. “[Khan] has a spotty record, hasn’t done great ratings. Why would we feel he’d do well on pay-per-view?”

The Cable and satellite distributors also said that Khan is not “that well known yet,” which I kind of agree with. Khan obviously well known in the UK, where he comes from, but in the United States he just hasn’t had enough fights and he’s not looked great in the fights that he’d had over there.

Khan has fought only eight times in the United States in the five years that he’s been fighting there. Eight times is obviously not going to be enough to build a large fan base and bring in good ratings. Look Terence Crawford. He’s been fighting in the United States his entire career, and he’s not someone that brings in huge Saul “Canelo” Alvarez or Gennady Golovkin type ratings.
    http://www.************.com/2016/01/...-distributors/

Link won't work for some reason. BOXING NEWS 24 . com
    Last edited by MPX309; 01-02-2016, 12:53 PM.

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
    http://www.************.com/2016/01/...-distributors/

Link won't work for some reason. BOXING NEWS 24 . com
    There is some truth here.

Khan is fading fast into obscurity.

Without twitter and the Dubai media most people would assume he has retired.

Khan has only fought 5 times in the past 3 years against mediocre opposition.

Bradley has a better resume, and is a more established PPV fighter.

I don't necessarily agree that Bradley is an easier fight than Khan or that Khan would not sell PPV numbers, but I can see the logic for picking Bradley on the above criteria.

Comment

This sounds believable.

Khan's USA venture has been a unanimous flop.

Comment

but was arum lying or telling the truth that day???hmm

Comment

I don't buy this from arum. Yes khan has hurt his brand, reputation, and fanbase the last 3 years with bad mismatches and shaky performances. No doubt right now Bradley is the more credible fighter, he's a current world champ and on p4p lists....BUT what arum refuses to acknowledge is against anyone else Bradley is the better option not against Manny because he already lost the first 2 fights and fans don't want to see a 3rd fight. So someone new even if he's got less fanbase will do better then a rerun of a non exciting fight the first 2 times and we know how their styles matchup and who's the better fighter.

Because of that 1 fact I think arum is full of crap khan and many other fights for Manny sell more ppvs then a 3rd fight with Bradley will. And I don't think the cable providers made this choice I think arum did. Rios and algeri each had less fanbase then khan does and we never saw those fights killed because the satellite distributors SMH

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
            but was arum lying or telling the truth that day???hmm
            Probably telling the truth. Khan is nobody in the United States.

Then he looks extremely mediocre at WW, has beaten nobody, and yet still has the nerve to use Mayweather and Pacquiao's name for a quick come up. Screw that guy. I hope May and Pac never break bread with him.

EDIT

Ehh come to think of it he did fight Algieri on PPV and nobody knew that guy. At least I can give Rios the "He's Mexican and exciting" excuse.

Still Khan sucks.
            Last edited by Biolink; 01-02-2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
              Probably telling the truth. Khan is nobody in the United States.

Then he looks extremely mediocre at WW, has beaten nobody, and yet still has the nerve to use Mayweather and Pacquiao's name for a quick come up. Screw that guy. I hope May and Pac never break bread with him.
              Can't use this excuse when Rios got a ppv fight with Manny despite having less fanbase and coming off a loss to alvardo. Algeri got a ppv fight despite having no fanbase and coming off a fight where he got dropped badly and many feel he didn't win his fight with ruslan. What welterweight has either these guys beaten?

Comment

This is complete bullsht by Bob Arum and EVERYONE will buy into it, like they ALWAYS do.

I've said this plenty of times before, no Amir Khan was not a real option for #48. Arum namedropping Amir was just an antic to get newsheadlines and stuff, it worked.

The plan all along was to first of all, get the WBO belt back to Top Rank, after that, get Tim Bradley to become a champion is a sorry ass fight against jesse vergas, now that timmy is a "champion" again he can fight #48 for the title SMH

Basically #48 gets to fight for the title he just lost right away. WBO & Top Rank are some funny motherfckers and i do not recognize their organization. Watch, after #48 becomes a "champion" again the next thing he is going to do is vacate so the WBO can set up another sorry ass fight for Terence Crawford to become a "champion", the fckery will not stop until Felix Verdejo gets a hold of the WBO 147 belt and so on with all their Top Rank prospects

Comment

and yet they were ok with Pacquiao Vs Algeri??

Pac Vs Khan, Broner, and anyone else would sell better than Pac Vs Bradley 2.

I bought the last 2 Pac Vs Bradley, I'm tired of being suckered.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    Can't use this excuse when Rios got a ppv fight with Manny despite having less fanbase and coming off a loss to alvardo. Algeri got a ppv fight despite having no fanbase and coming off a fight where he got dropped badly and many feel he didn't win his fight with ruslan. What welterweight has either these guys beaten?
                    Rios is an exciting Mexican so I feel like they'll always get a pass on this.

I do agree with you on Algieri though. That fight punches holes Arum's statement.

Comment

Working...
                    X