No announcement yet.

"Mayweather is not an International Superstar" Dana White

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    You haven't explained anything. you say he has higher numbers of followers.

But how come he has 5million more followers than McGregor on instagram, yet only gets 22k likes on his last photo? or 17k on the one before that?

Show me one single athlete with 14 million followers that gets that little interaction.

McGregor uploads a picture of freaking grass on a field and still easily cracks 500k in 30 minutes.

Explain that to me.

I'm not being biased, i'm being a realist. You guys are insecure that an MMA fighter is more popular than Floyd Mayweather

That's freaking sad to see. Grown men going into super defense because of some insecurity with the growth of MMA. I mean, Dan is trying so say McGregor has only been big for a year
    Are you stupid or just dense? I just told you why McGregor gets more interaction, he's active while Floyd is retired. It's not rocket science brother. Floyd has photos on instagram that have 700 thousand likes What's your point?

That video he posted trolling McGregor got 4 million views and over 250 thousand comments. And right now Mayweather's name is trending on Facebook moreso than McGregor's.

You want to believe that a guy with less money, a significantly smaller following, and far fewer accolades is somehow the more popular one?

This reminds me of that video where McGregor straight up lied to Ronaldo by saying he was number 15 on the Forbes list when he's really at 85

Comment

• Lets be honest Mayweather was getting big numbers because people wanted him to face pac... That's why they dragged that fight out for 6 years.. look at Floyd ppv after vs berto

Mayweather killed the boxing ppv business with his pac fight and turned of millions

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
        Lets be honest Mayweather was getting big numbers because people wanted him to face pac... That's why they dragged that fight out for 6 years.. look at Floyd ppv after vs berto

Mayweather killed the boxing ppv business with his pac fight and turned of millions
        Mayweather had big fights with DLH and Hatton before a Pacquiao fight was even on the radar.

Comment

McGregor did a 20+ million gate in his last fight. So no, they aren't just rivalling, they beat every gate he ever did except for the Pacquiao fight.

PPVs in America is not a sign on international popularity. That's a stretch to say the least.

Well my claims actually make sense. I'm just asking you to find another athlete with 14 million followers who only gets 30k likes on photos? Just find me one single athlete.

Just because he sells some PPVs doesn't mean him on his own is popular as we saw against Berto for example. He sells a lot becaue people want to see him lose. Does that mean he's popular? No it doesn't. It means the opposite

McGregor's popularity is clearly a lot bigger than Floyd Mayweather's. No question about it.
          Erm, no. McGregor's last fight did 17 million at the gate.

Mayweather-Canelo did 20 million at the gate and Mayweather-Oscar did 18 million at the gate.

So I think you need to do your research. Pulling ridiculous numbers out your arse like 5 seperate times now.

Because he's retired that's why. What were his interaction numbers when he was active? Much higher.

Popularity isn't based off who likes you. It's based off who knows you.

Miguel Cotto has WAY more fans than Mayweather. Are you telling me he's more popular than Mayweather?

Ok and you're delusional Literally the only things you've said to support your argument is a baseless conspiracy theory and the fact McGregor gets more likes on his photos at the moment.

Comment

When McGregor fought a nobody he still did 1.5 million buys

Yet Floyd gets a pass, why?
            McGregor has never done 1.5 million buys.

The real numbers already were leaked and it wasn't 1.5 million and against a nobody? That was literally one the biggest and most hyped card in the history of the UFC.

At the peak of Mayweather's popularity he fought an actual unknown in Ortiz and did 1.3 million. McGregor's biggest number.

Comment

You haven't explained anything. you say he has higher numbers of followers.

But how come he has 5million more followers than McGregor on instagram, yet only gets 22k likes on his last photo? or 17k on the one before that?

Show me one single athlete with 14 million followers that gets that little interaction.

McGregor uploads a picture of freaking grass on a field and still easily cracks 500k in 30 minutes.

Explain that to me.

I'm not being biased, i'm being a realist. You guys are insecure that an MMA fighter is more popular than Floyd Mayweather

That's freaking sad to see. Grown men going into super defense because of some insecurity with the growth of MMA. I mean, Dan is trying so say McGregor has only been big for a year
              I've only known him for a year.

At absolute most he's been known 2 years.

Oh yeah, sad to see. You got an article yet from 2013 when McGregor had weekly national press in most of the Sunday papers? What a hilarious claim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                The gate did $17.7 mil in his last fight. Mayweather - Pac/Canelo/DLH all did more.

http://boxing.nv.gov/results/Top_Boxing_Gates/

Lets also not forget these UFC gate/PPV numbers aren't verified we have to believe Dana White.
                Ok I remember them saying it was 20+, but OK.

Those were absolute mega fights. This was McGregor vs Alvarez who quite honestly, no one, even hardcore fight fans really knew who was.

And that's the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
                  Lets be honest Mayweather was getting big numbers because people wanted him to face pac... That's why they dragged that fight out for 6 years.. look at Floyd ppv after vs berto

Before the De La Hoya fight Mayweather was an angry youth... He had a chip on his shoulder because he felt the public should support him and his fights were not selling. As a matter if fact he was in a position not so different from Ward is now: his style, his attitude and his media presence were all critisized.

Things changed dramatically when he fought De La Hoya. The cross over of Oscar's fan base to root against Floyd gave Floyd his golden goose! From that point on til the next Floyd became a bad guy. He constantly made sure people respected his skills, but... that people had a reason to pay for a ticket to see him lose.

Floyd has found that trying to be an ambassador again works only marginally well, which is probably why he is attacking Ward and his trainer.

Yes the draw was what it was for his fight with Pacman, but NO, its not actually relevent as a turning point, nor as a reason for people to buy tickets. By the time of this fight both guys had their camps, their market appeal...their angle. The reason Floys got big numbers? Because when he fought De La Hoya he was brought into the fold so to speak...During that fight he was seen by many new eyeballs, established his angle as a bit of a heal, and showed many fans in the spanish demographic that he was on the menu.

I don't know what you mean by Floyd killed boxing. People buy schitty boxing programs, its what the market will bare. The Berto fight was a cash out legacy fight that Mayweather fans paid for because it was his last fight.

My friend people are not passive idiots with no free will...nobody forces one to buy the boxing programs. If people demand that pubs be allowed to show fights, that fight cards are better quality, etc. then money talks. I have not bought a PPV for years now, I still watch the fights. The airways belong to us all. So, if they give us excellent quality viewing, arrange great programs, etc...that is something fans will pay for...and no boxer can "kill" boxing in the manner you describe.
                  Last edited by billeau2; 01-15-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    McGregor has never done 1.5 million buys.

The real numbers already were leaked and it wasn't 1.5 million and against a nobody? That was literally one the biggest and most hyped card in the history of the UFC.

At the peak of Mayweather's popularity he fought an actual unknown in Ortiz and did 1.3 million. McGregor's biggest number.
                    He did 1.65 vs Diaz I and 1.5 vs Diaz II.

So you're wrong.

How in what world could anyone on this planet ever claim that Nate Diaz is more of a name than Victor Ortiz? Ortiz was coming off fight of the year + biggest fight on HBO in 2011.

Now that's an absolutely hilarious claim - Especially Diaz in the first fight who was a late substitute and had made 40k in his last fight.
                    Last edited by LacedUp; 01-15-2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Erm, no. McGregor's last fight did 17 million at the gate.

Mayweather-Canelo did 20 million at the gate and Mayweather-Oscar did 18 million at the gate.

So I think you need to do your research. Pulling ridiculous numbers out your arse like 5 seperate times now.

Because he's retired that's why. What were his interaction numbers when he was active? Much higher.

Popularity isn't based off who likes you. It's based off who knows you.

Miguel Cotto has WAY more fans than Mayweather. Are you telling me he's more popular than Mayweather?

Ok and you're delusional Literally the only things you've said to support your argument is a baseless conspiracy theory and the fact McGregor gets more likes on his photos at the moment.
                      So Mayweather sells 350k vs Berto when he was active - Otherwise on around 1mil other than in super fights, where of course 2 people create massive hype.

McGregor has done 1.4, 1.65, 1.5 & 1.3 against guys you for sure didn't know who was and outside of hardcore UFC fans also didn't.

That's the difference between him and McGregor.

McGregor pulls on his own - That's real popularity. When you pull someone up like Berto, he failed miserably.

Put McGregor in with Berto and he'd still do 1million+.

With regards to the gate number, I remembered it being 20+ but OK it was 17.7. So outside of Mayweather's three biggest fights - One of which he was the B-side, McGregor outdid them in his last fight - despite as you say "only been known for a year"

That's gotta tell you something.

Comment

Working...
                      X