Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guilty thug

Comment

Originally posted by CTC JOHNNY View Post
      The Man was a warrior point blank period !!! The Racism of his day vs the Racism present day !!! Jack Johnson was the first black Heavyweight champion of the world!!! Laws was changed on behalf of what this man was doing in a boxing ring!! Hate for Blacks is as American as Apple Pie!!! I know my History !!
      So have you studied the Carter case?

Please drop us your wisdom and knowledge about it. I always like to learn more.

If you could elaborate more on how Jack Johnson has anything to do with Rubin Carter beating the hell out of a female lawyer who tried to help him, or how Johnson being railroaded in the 1910s has anything to do with the particular facts of the Lafayette Grill murders and Carter case, that would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        AJ Liebling wrote about him and his managers in great depth while he was a pro. I don't have an opinion on his guilt or innocence (sound sguilty due to being past but what do I know?), but what I found so offensive about the movie was the implication that he was this incredible fighter who had everything taken for him.

There wasn't a keener eye when it came to telling the good from the hype than Liebling, who described him as a talentless hype jobn, built to be cashed in on a title shot. His Boxrec record agrees.
        he was a contender at one point, he did destroy the great (but smaller) emile griffith, but his career at the top level was done when he went to prison.

Comment

whocares if he is guilty or not guilty

in that era many men were thrown in jail for crimes they didnt commit just based on their skin tone

i dont know enough about the case and nor does the TS

nobody knows the truth because of dodgy evidence and corruption in the case

rip rc

Comment

The prosecution's case was weak as hell. Not saying Carter did or didn't commit the crime, but it's shocking to me he spent any time in jail. Their star witness was a burglar who was in the act of breaking into a nearby factory when he claims he saw Carter and Artis leaving the bar armed with a shotgun and pistol. He then goes into the bar where he sees people dead/dying and the first thing he does is rob the register of $62.

As if he wasn't unreliable enough, he later recanted his testimony and claimed the police coerced/bribed him to lie and implicate Carter. Also, 2 of the surviving victims either denied that Carter/Artis were the perpetrators or couldn't identify them. They didn't fit the description. Plus the purported motive didn't make much sense, had no evidence to back it up, and was racially incendiary.

It could've easily been 2 guys who drove a similar car to Carter's or acquaintances of his who borrowed his car to carry out the crime, either with or without his knowledge. Either way, plenty of evidence or lack thereof for an acquittal. Unless Artis makes a confession on his death bed, we may never know what really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
              whocares if he is guilty or not guilty

in that era many men were thrown in jail for crimes they didnt commit just based on their skin tone
              I care, I want to know. So do many others.

Either he was unfairly imprisoned for almost two decades due to police and legal incompetence/corruption, while the real murderers were never discovered, or he was released early due to incompetence by the legal system.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Wadd View Post
                So have you studied the Ca I haverter case?

Please drop us your wisdom and knowledge about it. I always like to learn more.

If you could elaborate more on how Jack Johnson has anything to do with Rubin Carter beating the hell out of a female lawyer who tried to help him, or how Johnson being railroaded in the 1910s has anything to do with the particular facts of the Lafayette Grill murders and Carter case, that would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
                I know my History !!! Your sarcasm does not amuse me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CTC JOHNNY View Post
                  I know my History !!! Your sarcasm does not amuse me!!!
                  Then please drop your historical knowledge about the case, please.

Knowing more facts about the case would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                  X