Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubin Carter

The Hurricane

The Hollywood Version

The Hurricane is the story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a boxer boasting great talent, a really sweet nickname, and a badass Bob Dylan song he inspired. The movie tells us the story of how Hurricane was a promising middleweight who was falsely accused and convicted of a triple homicide, derailing his boxing career but making him prime to be the subject of a great protest song.

Luckily, after 20 years in prison as an innocent man convicted by a bitterly racist system, three young white people from a magical land called "Canada" took up his cause and, after discovering a key piece of evidence, proved Hurricane's innocence and set him free.

In Reality...

First, there is a scene in the film where Carter beats the **** out of an inferior white boxer (Joey Giardello) only to lose when blatantly racist judges award the fight to the white man. In real life, Carter lost the fight so badly that the real Giardello sued the filmmakers over the scene and got a nice settlement out of it.

But far more disturbing is the whole murder thing. We're not saying Carter committed the crime, we'll just casually point out that by the age of 14, the Hurricane had already been arrested for assault and armed robbery. By 22, he had been imprisoned twice for "brutal street muggings." He was booted from the military after being court-martialed a whopping four times, being described as "unfit to serve." But, hey, nobody expects boxers to be model citizens. It doesn't mean he killed anyone, right?

Well, when it came to the murders, there was enough evidence to convict him twice (both times set aside due to procedural errors by the prosecution). Carter failed a lie detector test--miserably--and then was given a chance to re-take it after he'd been imprisoned for awhile. He refused. At his second trial, several witnesses who had provided Carter's alibi admitted they had been asked to lie for him.

But what about that evidence that proved his innocence? Well, there was in fact none. The judge was forced to throw out the conviction because the prosecution had failed to turn over some evidence and thus didn't give Carter a fair trial. The prosecution could have chosen to re-try the case from scratch to convict Carter a third time, but they decided it wasn't worth doing since 22 years had passed and all of the people involved were either dead or ridiculously old.

Of course the law is the law and the law said Carter could go free. But it's probably not quite accurate to use Carter's story as proof that the criminal justice system is run by the Klan. The whole thing has really made us question Bob Dylan's research skills.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_16478...#ixzz1J35uoMfq

Although I have studied Law, when talking about this particular subject with boxing it just really uninterests me.

I don't mean to take you're thread off topic but since you mentioned Rubin Carter in relation to boxing his win against Emile Griffith really was incredible. Carter has a winning record Vs Griffith during the 60's, as average as he was, not many can say that.

In terms of Giardello, Giardello clearly won. In fairness to the film at the time of the fight Carter did honestly believe he won the fight. But yeah, Giardello clearly won.

In terms of his sentance, I honestly have never even looked at his case.

Comment

Way to ruin the movie you bastard!

Comment

On the same Dylan album you should catch the song about Crazy Joe Gallo he sounds a modern day saint in the song. Both great songs though if you take them with a large pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Although I have studied Law, when talking about this particular subject with boxing it just really uninterests me.

I don't mean to take you're thread off topic but since you mentioned Rubin Carter in relation to boxing his win against Emile Griffith really was incredible. Carter has a winning record Vs Griffith during the 60's, as average as he was, not many can say that.

In terms of Giardello, Giardello clearly won. In fairness to the film at the time of the fight Carter did honestly believe he won the fight. But yeah, Giardello clearly won.

In terms of his sentance, I honestly have never even looked at his case.
          Lol its cool I just read this on another site and figured I'd share it here.

I saw the movie too and it was incredibly boring. I was expecting it to be much more interesting.

Comment

It was just an irresistible story for the Hollywood to corrupt and turn into its own sweet tale of injustice. They make Carter into Malcolm X or Gandhi for goodness' sake! When he refuses to wear the prison outfit-GIMME A BREAK! The man was a bada**, obviously, in the ring and outside. He lost many fights, the movie doesn't mention that. Was schooled by all the best boxer he met except for Griffith, for some reason. But he didnt fight him again, did he??

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
              Lol its cool I just read this on another site and figured I'd share it here.

I saw the movie too and it was incredibly boring. I was expecting it to be much more interesting.

It wasn't a boxing movie, just a movie about an ex-boxer in prison. The only thing exceptional about it was Denzel Washington's usual top notch acting.

Comment

I grew up in Paterson and I knew Carter and his partner in crime, John Artis. In fact I lived a couple of blocks away from the Lafayette Bar where the murders took place.

I first met Carter when he came into a ball field in Paterson, called the Riverside Oval." I yelled out his name and he turned and waved.

Later on he and a couple of his friends went across the street to a bowling alley, so me and a friend of mine followed him. As they started to bowl and Carter asked me if I knew how to keep score. I said I did, and he invited me down to do so.

After that I would see him again at the Oval and he would actually pitch softball for one of the local teams. If he saw me, he would say, Hi Kid, why don't you sit down with us, so I sat with him and his teammates on the bench.

When I was in High School back around 1967, my teacher asked me if I would like to go to the court house for a couple of days and follow the case, which I did.

I followed the case very close, because I really liked Rubin, BUT when I heard the whole story, I was sure that Carter and Artis did the act. In the movie they had a cop that would try to frame him, I know a lot of people that knew that cop and he was one of the best and honest cops around.

If you want to know the hold story, just go to the following web site:

http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
                  I grew up in Paterson and I knew Carter and his partner in crime, John Artis. In fact I lived a couple of blocks away from the Lafayette Bar where the murders took place.

I first met Carter when he came into a ball field in Paterson, called the Riverside Oval." I yelled out his name and he turned and waved.

Later on he and a couple of his friends went across the street to a bowling alley, so me and a friend of mine followed him. As they started to bowl and Carter asked me if I knew how to keep score. I said I did, and he invited me down to do so.

After that I would see him again at the Oval and he would actually pitch softball for one of the local teams. If he saw me, he would say, Hi Kid, why don't you sit down with us, so I sat with him and his teammates on the bench.

When I was in High School back around 1967, my teacher asked me if I would like to go to the court house for a couple of days and follow the case, which I did.

I followed the case very close, because I really liked Rubin, BUT when I heard the whole story, I was sure that Carter and Artis did the act. In the movie they had a cop that would try to frame him, I know a lot of people that knew that cop and he was one of the best and honest cops around.

If you want to know the hold story, just go to the following web site:

http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/

I was going to say none of us where there and none of us know anyone involved hahaha.

Comment

Read "The 16th Round" ... Amazing biography!! One of my favourites!!

Comment

Working...
                    X