Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got a problem.. Serious answers and thoughts please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a problem.. Serious answers and thoughts please.

I fight on Saturday for a BELT...

My usual weight is 165 .. but I just got off the scale and I'm 172.2.

I don't really check my weight ever so this comes as a surprise to me.. since i've changed nothing in my diet at all...

trainer wants me to move to 178 for tournaments.. I wanna go back down to 165.

The fight on saturday is catch weight of 10 pounds.. so its 10 above or below. So 165 is not a must but thats been my weight to fight at forever since I got in good shape.

What do some of you guys think about me going to 178? or should i just go back to 165.. which I really didn't even realize i left to be serious. I feel so irresponsible being so close to the fight.

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
    I fight on Saturday for a BELT...

My usual weight is 165 .. but I just got off the scale and I'm 172.2.

I don't really check my weight ever so this comes as a surprise to me.. since i've changed nothing in my diet at all...

trainer wants me to move to 178 for tournaments.. I wanna go back down to 165.

The fight on saturday is catch weight of 10 pounds.. so its 10 above or below. So 165 is not a must but thats been my weight to fight at forever since I got in good shape.

What do some of you guys think about me going to 178? or should i just go back to 165.. which I really didn't even realize i left to be serious. I feel so irresponsible being so close to the fight.

well, u gotta check your weight each week yo, make sure ur close to where u wanna be at and ****. based on ur vids and posts, u look to be in great shape, and strong too, so i dont see 178 as a problem for u. i was in the same exact situation as you, and i stayed at 178 (well 175 actually) and i feel great at the weight. (though after this fight on saturday im goin back down cuz i feel strongest and most comfortable at 165). you could probly make 165 if u really wanted to by saturday, but if there is catch weight allowed, i wouldnt sweat it. dont be too hard on urself for lettin ur weight go up, that will happen if u dont watch ur weight often, but its all good cuz im sure u could drop it in no time. go in there and fight at whatever weight ur at now, and see how u feel at a little bit of a higher weight. i thought i would hate it too and i wuld be to weak and slow, but as long as ur in shape and train hard, that weight wont hinder u i dont tihnk. it depends how u look at it. like me personally, i got quick hands and i got a MEAN ass left hook, so i like to fight at 165 cuz my power is good down there, and i thought at 178 it wouldnt be, but i could still bang. im goin back down cuz i can bang alot harder at 65 though lol. so there really aint no way of tellin u wut to do, jus fight at the higher weight on saturday and see wuts up, if u dont like it, back down u go, if u do like it, u can fight there and always go down later if u need to. my two cents.

Comment

^^^^ If catch weight is allowed, stay where you're strong.

You'd be savage as a light heavy, IMO.

Comment

Weight is an issue but unless he's cutting from 200, I think youll be fine. With headgear and the amateur system being alot safer...skill really is the only difference maker. If you're better then him...you'll win. Simple as that. Stay where you're comfortable.

And you shouldn't really be asking guys on a forum for advice. Talk to your coach.

Comment

It depends on how much power you have,if you got alot of power I would move up,but it also depends on your height also. The higher they go.The less movement they're going to have.So you can tee off on them more. If you go down you might lose the weight the wrong way and drain yourself,but you would still have the power to compete,but the ppl at that weight class are going to be moving faster. Also if you go up,most likely alot of those guys probably drained themselves to get to that weight,but you didnt,so you would be fresher. Also lighter if you come alittle under the required weight.

It comes down to your confidence.If you're confident that you can go toe to toe with the big boys then do that ****!!

Comment

Originally posted by Azteca View Post
            Weight is an issue but unless he's cutting from 200, I think youll be fine. With headgear and the amateur system being alot safer...skill really is the only difference maker. If you're better then him...you'll win. Simple as that. Stay where you're comfortable.

And you shouldn't really be asking guys on a forum for advice. Talk to your coach.
            Hey I used too and I still do,that **** works if you're a listener.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
              Hey I used too and I still do,that **** works if you're a listener.
              Maybe if you're a beginner. But by the looks of things this guy looks like a beast. You should ask all your weight related to issues to a guy thats probably been there - done that....your coach.

Comment

Maybe if you're a beginner. But by the looks of things this guy looks like a beast. You should ask all your weight related to issues to a guy thats probably been there - done that....your coach.
                Well now I ask alot of my question to my NEW coach that knows what he's talking about,but it doesnt hurt to have other opinions.

Comment

I'd be the first guy to say what you just said...

...But my bull**** trainers won't even be at the fight...

"We have other obligations besides being trainers we won't be able to make it. You don't have to fight if you don't want to!!"

I have already got in contact with someone to work my corner. I'm fighting New coach or not...The belts mine and I aint gonna let it just go away with some otha n!gga...

Stupid **** like this really pisses me off.. I mean wheres the ****in respect... bust my ass 6 days a week for you guys when you only show up 4 or 5 and now you don't even give me a week-heads up that you won't be at the fight.

Wha da ****... you think i'm doin this **** only for my health... Mafuccas I'm trynna win.

I envy you guys with good trainers that actually ****in train you.. ****in jackasses... And surely enough i'll be back at the gym on monday to start this **** all over again.
                  Last edited by DA1CATAS; 09-19-2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Hard question. 7lbs could be hard, for such a short period of time. 172 is too little to fight at 178 though. My gut would say go for 165 this time. If it's too hard, don't take the fight, and spend a little time putting on more weight (you should be walking around at 185, if you're gonna fight 178 anyway..) for next time.

I once tried to make 141 for a tournament. Made 142, and fought at 152, totally drained and giving away 10lbs...

Comment

Working...
                    X