Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adamek-Cunningham II my take, round by round

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting the judges only agreed on 2 rounds: 5 and 11 (both Adamek). Incidentally, I scored those for Adamek as well.

My take is literally that this fight was just a tough one to score. Almost every round was close.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
      I watched this last night after already knowing the result, which introduces some problems I admit, but I attempted to score it carefully and recorded my thoughts round-by-round as I watched. I ended up with 7-4-1 Adamek. Many of the rounds I thought could've gone either way though. I think the fight was razor thin, and very difficult to score. I do not think it was a robbery. Many may not agree with me, but I do provide my reasoning, so see the descriptions.

1. Even (Close as hell)
      2. Adamek (Close as hell)
      3. Cunningham (Cunningham racked up a lot of work in the start of the round. Adamek isn't just looking to steal rounds though, contrary to the announcers. Cunningham is not fighting a full 3 minutes, and Adamek comes on when Cunningham becomes inactive.)
      4. Adamek (Close as hell) This isn't an easy fight to score so far, except round 3. Even round 3, Cunningham let off the gas and Adamek almost did some work to close the distance, but not enough to make up for the deficit.
      5. Adamek (Cunningham holding back too much, letting Adamek walk in, not making him pay for the real estate).
      6. Adamek (Cunningham had the best single punch of the round, but Adamek answered with a combo that partially landed--I mean some of the punches got in. Adamek controlled most of the round. Another close round. Cunningham is giving Adamek too much respect. Still, very close round).
      7. Cunningham (The rounds I have scored for Cunningham are basically still close, but a little bit more clear in his direction. He isn't fighting a full 3 minutes, which is a little bit of a pet peeve of mine. He is trying to put something in the bank, and then use his legs to drift through the round. It is backfiring, because that allows Adamek to in fact put in aggression. Adamek landed some good shots at the end. I still give it to Cunningham.)
      8. Cunningham (Close as hell. Cunnhingham not fighting 3 minutes leaves Adamek the opportunity to fill in the gaps.)
      9. Adamek (This one wasn't that difficult). I haven't totaled up my score as I've recorded it, but almost every round is close, and could be argued either way imo. A couple rounds are clearer, this is one. The bottom line, Cunningham seems like he could be doing better, but he either won't, or can't, fight 3 minutes in a round. This leaves an opportunity to Adamek. It also doesn't reflect well on him. In a very close round, sometimes the benefit of the doubt will go to the closer. It isn't Adamek just trying to steal rounds imo.
      10. Cunningham (His best round. And even so, Cunningham still taking breaks in the middle of the rounds. This was a clear Cunningham round, but when he takes breaks is when Adamek does his best work. Cunningham is shooting himself in the foot. That, or he doesn't have the gas tank to fight 3 minutes.)
      11. Adamek. (Cunningham fought well for the first minute, Adamek did better for the latter two, and Adamek did land some decent shots in the round.)
      12. Adamek (Another close round. I liked Adamek's effective aggression. Again, Cunningham doing too much cruising and too much holding. Still, a toss up.)

So the tally, I had it 7-4-1 Adamek.

Most of the rounds toss ups. The first round was really close, often it is hard to score opening rounds because they are feeling out rounds, especially in a fight like this, where there is so little to separate the guys in so many of the rounds. Round 1 perhaps Cunningham. Even if so, still 7-5 Adamek for me. Bottom line, there were so many close rounds. Not a robbery at all. A very close fight. Cunningham could've won the fight, but he couldn't fight 3 minutes of a round, and he left the door open for Adamek. If he could've fought the full 3 minutes of the rounds, the fight didn't even need to be close. Adamek did all of his best work when Cunningham stopped fighting.
      I scored the fight a draw last night. 114-114. We disagree on the 4th and 11th. I scored both those rounds for Cunningham. Other than that your card looks identical to mine apart from the first which you scored even.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        I think he should be offended. He deserves to be offended. 7-4-1 is absurd.

I do agree though. People are discounting winning two minutes and fifty seconds of a round, and thinking a brief flurry at the end for ten seconds makes winning the other two minutes fifty seconds obsolete.

It's today's instant gratification world we live in. People have no attention span anymore and obviously struggle to remember beyond the last ten seconds, otherwise there is no way you would have 7-4-1 Adamek.

I think that's crazy......

Personally I scored it 117-111 or 9-3 Cunningham..... I can see 8-4 or 116-112

Don't understand how it was so tough to score

Comment

Kalle Sauerland, Artur Szpilka, press row and a horde of Polish fans all thought Cunningham won.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Kalle Sauerland, Artur Szpilka, press row and a horde of Polish fans all thought Cunningham won.
            yeah but kathy duva thought adamek won so it's even........

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              This was another point I was naturally attune to, watching the fight after the fact. There were "USA" chants from the opening bell. The notion that the crowed was all pro Adamek is a myth. Go watch the fight again for confirmation.

Comment

Once again though, the fight was basically a coin toss.

However, if Cunningham does not fight a full three minutes in even one single round, he has only himself to blame when he doesn't get the nod. All his whining aside.

And I wouldn't argue with a Cunningham win, an Adamek win, or a draw. The fight was that close.

I still scored it for Adamek.

I may watch it again later, and score it again. I'd also recommend some other people do so too.

Comment

Close fight that I thought was a draw. Any time you have a close fight like this, the internet tough guys claim the other fighter was robbed. Believe me if Cunningham would have won we all would hear the same argument, just the roles reversed. Fact is Steve can't hurt Ademak, he walks right through his punches. However, Adamek can hurt Steve. Thats how I saw the two fights at least

Comment

Originally posted by jupiter maximus View Post
                    close fight that i thought was a draw. any time you have a close fight like this, the internet tough guys claim the other fighter was robbed. believe me if cunningham would have won we all would hear the same argument, just the roles reversed. Fact is steve can't hurt ademak, he walks right through his punches. However, adamek can hurt steve. Thats how i saw the two fights at least
                    this ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                      I watched this last night after already knowing the result, which introduces some problems I admit, but I attempted to score it carefully and recorded my thoughts round-by-round as I watched. I ended up with 7-4-1 Adamek. Many of the rounds I thought could've gone either way though. I think the fight was razor thin, and very difficult to score. I do not think it was a robbery. Many may not agree with me, but I do provide my reasoning, so see the descriptions.

1. Even (Close as hell)
                      2. Adamek (Close as hell)
                      3. Cunningham (Cunningham racked up a lot of work in the start of the round. Adamek isn't just looking to steal rounds though, contrary to the announcers. Cunningham is not fighting a full 3 minutes, and Adamek comes on when Cunningham becomes inactive.)
                      4. Adamek (Close as hell) This isn't an easy fight to score so far, except round 3. Even round 3, Cunningham let off the gas and Adamek almost did some work to close the distance, but not enough to make up for the deficit.
                      5. Adamek (Cunningham holding back too much, letting Adamek walk in, not making him pay for the real estate).
                      6. Adamek (Cunningham had the best single punch of the round, but Adamek answered with a combo that partially landed--I mean some of the punches got in. Adamek controlled most of the round. Another close round. Cunningham is giving Adamek too much respect. Still, very close round).
                      7. Cunningham (The rounds I have scored for Cunningham are basically still close, but a little bit more clear in his direction. He isn't fighting a full 3 minutes, which is a little bit of a pet peeve of mine. He is trying to put something in the bank, and then use his legs to drift through the round. It is backfiring, because that allows Adamek to in fact put in aggression. Adamek landed some good shots at the end. I still give it to Cunningham.)
                      8. Cunningham (Close as hell. Cunnhingham not fighting 3 minutes leaves Adamek the opportunity to fill in the gaps.)
                      9. Adamek (This one wasn't that difficult). I haven't totaled up my score as I've recorded it, but almost every round is close, and could be argued either way imo. A couple rounds are clearer, this is one. The bottom line, Cunningham seems like he could be doing better, but he either won't, or can't, fight 3 minutes in a round. This leaves an opportunity to Adamek. It also doesn't reflect well on him. In a very close round, sometimes the benefit of the doubt will go to the closer. It isn't Adamek just trying to steal rounds imo.
                      10. Cunningham (His best round. And even so, Cunningham still taking breaks in the middle of the rounds. This was a clear Cunningham round, but when he takes breaks is when Adamek does his best work. Cunningham is shooting himself in the foot. That, or he doesn't have the gas tank to fight 3 minutes.)
                      11. Adamek. (Cunningham fought well for the first minute, Adamek did better for the latter two, and Adamek did land some decent shots in the round.)
                      12. Adamek (Another close round. I liked Adamek's effective aggression. Again, Cunningham doing too much cruising and too much holding. Still, a toss up.)

So the tally, I had it 7-4-1 Adamek.

Most of the rounds toss ups. The first round was really close, often it is hard to score opening rounds because they are feeling out rounds, especially in a fight like this, where there is so little to separate the guys in so many of the rounds. Round 1 perhaps Cunningham. Even if so, still 7-5 Adamek for me. Bottom line, there were so many close rounds. Not a robbery at all. A very close fight. Cunningham could've won the fight, but he couldn't fight 3 minutes of a round, and he left the door open for Adamek. If he could've fought the full 3 minutes of the rounds, the fight didn't even need to be close. Adamek did all of his best work when Cunningham stopped fighting.
                      Good analysis.

There were a lot of close rounds, I scored it 115-113 for Adamek. Cunningham had the prettier footwork and the flashy jabs, but he ran too much and Adamek took the fight to him and landed the cleaner, harder punches.

Comment

Working...
                      X