Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arturo Gatti Heads Class of 2013 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally don't think Gatti should be in the HOF. Gatti was simply not good enough to be in there. I mean I have said this before about other sports and I'll say it about boxing. The HOF should be changed to the Hall of OK participants of said sport. Popularity should have no bearing on if you get in or not it and neither should how the media likes or dislikes said athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      I see your point. All I can say is the US is where the best comp is. So its understandable that a guy who swims a mile in the ocean gets in before a guy who swims a mile in an olympic pool.
      That can generally be the case, but Light Heavyweight when Hill fought there was no better or worse than when DM was there, the exception being Jones. DM not fighting Jones hurt, but Hill not fighting guys like Williams and Moorer should too. They both won one unification fight. Fight for fight, the comp difference is negligible in a long stretch of meh at Light Heavyweight. Neither swam in an ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        Totally ridiculous comparison. Stallone didn't get in as a fighter. They have a separate category for people who made outside contributions (writers, promoters etc.).
        Stallone's biggest contribution was his series of Rocky movies. Gatti contributed four Ring Magazine fights of the year. He attracted fans to the sport and drew good ratings for HBO.

I agree that he was an average fighter and does not have a HOF resume. But if writers, promoters and actors can get in because of their contributions to the sport, why can't fighters themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Stallone's biggest contribution was his series of Rocky movies. Gatti contributed four Ring Magazine fights of the year. He attracted fans to the sport and drew good ratings for HBO.

I agree that he was an average fighter and does not have a HOF resume. But if writers, promoters and actors can get in because of their contributions to the sport, why can't fighters themselves?
          And the Rocky movies probably had more of a positive impact on the popularity of boxing than Gatti did. More people have seen Rocky than know who Gatti was. Gatti was a special thing for hardcore fight fans but his reach was never much beyond that. Rocky movies and Sugar Ray Leonard were a huge part of the early 1980s post-Ali boom.

What you're saying is why some want to see a special wing for great fights/rivalries to acknowledge that sort of thing for fighters who may not belong with the GOAT.

Others think Gatti getting in is as it should be. I didn't vote for him. Not sweating his induction though either. I get it.

Comment

Arturo Gatti legend will never die I'm happy he got in the HOF he had a huge impact on the sport of boxing R.I.P Gatti

Comment

I don't think Gatti is a HOF calibur fighter.

Comment

I knew he was going to get in years ago so I steeled myself to this fact for many years, he wasn't that great a fighter although he was pretty good and he was in numerous memorable fights. I am laughing right now at all the people that told me I was the crazy one~

He isn't the first guy that gets into a hall of fame that is not the most deserving and he won't be the last.

Comment

On e they inducted Stallone I stopped paying attention. I love Boxing but the HOF is a joke...

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                    Cool to hear about Mills Lane being inducted.
                    Yeah he was a great ref.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                      Waits for HOF cynics who don't think Gatti belongs in HOF
                      Here's one - with all due respect to Gatti - he doesn't belong

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                      I wonder why Virgil Hill got in to the HOF and not Dariusz M, who defeated him?
                      Ask Darius, why he was allergic to leaving Germany?

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                      thats almost like asking why duran got in and not kirkland laing (rip) who defeated him.
                      Kirkland Laing is still alive......

Comment

Working...
                      X