Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dempsey vs. Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its nice to see Dempsey getting so many supporters here. I'd back him to win this one by cuts or decision too. I just feel that his all round game, sheer speed and athleticism were superior.

Comment

The old guys Marciano beat were better than any of the heavyweights that Dempsey beat.

This would be an ugly scrap with the ref having to separate them every time there was an engagement. Dempsey moved better than Marciano, quicker too, but Marciano would wear him down for a late stoppage in a 15 round fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
        The old guys Marciano beat were better than any of the heavyweights that Dempsey beat.

This would be an ugly scrap with the ref having to separate them every time there was an engagement. Dempsey moved better than Marciano, quicker too, but Marciano would wear him down for a late stoppage in a 15 round fight.
        Though Dempsey dominated his time, Walcott, Charles, and Moore were a step above most of Jack's competition. Minus Tunney or Firpo.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
          Though Dempsey dominated his time, Walcott, Charles, and Moore were a step above most of Jack's competition. Minus Tunney or Firpo.
          The only guy Dempsey fought that was on Charles, Walcott, Moore and perhaps even the old past it Louis' level was Tunney and he lost both those fights. Firpo was not very good.

Comment

The only guy Dempsey fought that was on Charles, Walcott, Moore and perhaps even the old past it Louis' level was Tunney and he lost both those fights. Firpo was not very good.
            I admit i was scraping bottom of the barrel with Firpo. But sht, he's the closest guy i think of aside from Gene T.

Comment

I admit i was scraping bottom of the barrel with Firpo. But sht, he's the closest guy i think of aside from Gene T.
              Carpentier and Sharkey may have been better options. Whichever way you look at it the criticism of Marciano's record is harsh when people are not so ready to criticize Dempsey's or Jack Johnson's. Lousy opponents is the staple of Heavyweight boxing.

Comment

Carpentier and Sharkey may have been better options. Whichever way you look at it the criticism of Marciano's record is harsh when people are not so ready to criticize Dempsey's or Jack Johnson's. Lousy opponents is the staple of Heavyweight boxing.
                Forgot Carpentier. I wouldn't put Sharkey up that high. Next to Carnera i'd make him the weakest champion Joe Louis beat. Jack Johnson does have James J. Jeffries on his record, despite it being a comeback. Other than that his isn't very impressive, competition wise. Him beating Tommy Burns like a ragdoll was funny though.

Comment

Forgot Carpentier. I wouldn't put Sharkey up that high. Next to Carnera i'd make him the weakest champion Joe Louis beat. Jack Johnson does have James J. Jeffries on his record, despite it being a comeback. Other than that his isn't very impressive, competition wise. Him beating Tommy Burns like a ragdoll was funny though.
                  Carnera was definitely a fraud, I personally think Sharkey was something of a fraud too. Jeffries was past it but i'm sure Johnson would have beaten him even at his best.

Comment

If it were possible to put together it would out sell any ppv today thats for sure!
                    I do believe they'd be evenly matched and I also know it would be brutal from opening bell to whatever.......
                    They could fight each other three times then retire multi-millionaires!
                    I'd guess 100 million each ......................each fight!
                    Ray.

Comment

Jack Johnson does have James J. Jeffries on his record, despite it being a comeback. Other than that his isn't very impressive, competition wise.
                      He also beat Sam Langford, Joe Jeannette, and Sam McVea.

Comment

Working...
                      X