No announcement yet.

I'm still puzzled as to how Floyd managed to retire undefeated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
    This sounds bitter did you learn what A fact is and realize that you actually have none
    What fact that I stated was not correct?

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
      What fact that I stated was not correct?
      Better yet how about you reread your post and tell me what is fact cause ill just say the entire thing is opinion and not fact.

Now prove me wrong

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
        Those painting Mayweather as someone who avoided top opponents are the ones twisting reality. Roy Jones had a great career, but a fighter with EIGHT losses is not relevant in a discussion about how difficult it is to retire undefeated and before you blame the losses on Roy fighting on too long, half of his losses were when he was younger than the age Floyd retired at.

As for the first fights with Castillo and Maidana, the fights were close, as fights often are in boxing. He won the fights on the scorecards and the associated press had him winning both fights as well. He then gave both fighters rematches and beat them more convincingly. I have no interest in a conversation that takes place in an alternate reality. Floyd won the fights, so if you want to pretend that he didn't, you are free to have any fantasy conversation you want, with yourself, in your own play pen.

No matter how you slice it, nobody retired undefeated with a more impressive resume than Floyd. Please tell me who else could have gone through this gauntlet without a loss:

GENARO HERNANDEZ
        ANGEL MANFREDY
        DIEGO CORRALES
        JESUS CHAVEZ
        JOSE LUIS CASTILLO (TWICE)
        ARTURO GATTI
        ZAB JUDAH
        OSCAR DE LA HOYA
        RICKY HATTON
        JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
        SHANE MOSLEY
        MIGUEL COTTO
        ROBERT GUERRERO
        SAUL ALVAREZ
        MARCOS MAIDANA (TWICE)
        MANNY PACQUIAO
        Ok, i give up and raise the white flag. Floyd is arguabaly or unarguably the greatest undefeated fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
          1. I don't consider Calzaghe to be in the ****y/arrogant category.

2. Calzaghe didn't fight the same amount of top level fighters that Floyd did.

It's far from easy. In 19 years Floyd was did not even slip once.
          Not once huh? lol Top fighters? Or Top names? Were those top fighters in their prime or on the top of their game (or uninjured) at the time?

just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            Guess #48 would have done the same if it was that "Easy"
            48 fought warriors. Prime warriors. On level playing fields. Undefeated means nothing to people who know the fight game. It only matters to dlck riders that think they are more special than others just because they ride with a guy who has an undefeated fighter. Honestly...nobody really gives a fuk about people like that. SRR know as the best to ever lace up. I guess he isnt shlt compared to Floyd or Calzaghe or Marciano because he isnt undefeated huh?

Comment

Well he lost to Castillio...so there that goes

Comment

Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
                Throughout history all brash, c*cky, arrogant champions have eventually been humbled after accumulating a long undefeated streak. All the way from Muhammad Ali to Mike Tyson to Roy Jones and most recently Ronda Rousey.

How the hell did this sneaky ****er slip through the cracks while continuing to remain so odious?
                Because, he never really believe in his own hype. He knew he was doing it for promotion. Also, he knew the bill was to see him lose, so once that was over his selling point would be gone.

Comment

I really don't know but it's an amazing feat for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
                    Those painting Mayweather as someone who avoided top opponents are the ones twisting reality. Roy Jones had a great career, but a fighter with EIGHT losses is not relevant in a discussion about how difficult it is to retire undefeated and before you blame the losses on Roy fighting on too long, half of his losses were when he was younger than the age Floyd retired at.

As for the first fights with Castillo and Maidana, the fights were close, as fights often are in boxing. He won the fights on the scorecards and the associated press had him winning both fights as well. He then gave both fighters rematches and beat them more convincingly. I have no interest in a conversation that takes place in an alternate reality. Floyd won the fights, so if you want to pretend that he didn't, you are free to have any fantasy conversation you want, with yourself, in your own play pen.

No matter how you slice it, nobody retired undefeated with a more impressive resume than Floyd. Please tell me who else could have gone through this gauntlet without a loss:

GENARO HERNANDEZ
                    ANGEL MANFREDY
                    DIEGO CORRALES
                    JESUS CHAVEZ
                    JOSE LUIS CASTILLO (TWICE)
                    ARTURO GATTI
                    ZAB JUDAH
                    OSCAR DE LA HOYA
                    RICKY HATTON
                    JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
                    SHANE MOSLEY
                    MIGUEL COTTO
                    ROBERT GUERRERO
                    SAUL ALVAREZ
                    MARCOS MAIDANA (TWICE)
                    MANNY PACQUIAO
                    Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, and Marvin Hagler (although he's too big) would have beaten every single fighter on this list in their prime. Mayweather did not beat the vast majority of them in their prime (although to be fair he wasn't at his best in every fight either). ODLH and Mosley were past their prime. Canelo was drained and still a very young professional fighter at the time (although he still wouldn't have won regardless), Castillo should have won the first fight, Pacquiao is passed his prime and fighting at a weight class above his best (kind of like Duran), and so forth...

Besides that, Mayweather's resume doesn't compare to Leonard's revenge win over Duran, beating Thomas Hearns, and finally Marvin Hagler.

Thomas Hearns at Welterweight and Marvin Hagler at Middleweight are both top 5 in those divisions all-time. Hearns, I'd argue, was the best welterweight boxer (but that wouldn't be fair to ATG Robinson).

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                      You can't deny he's a very talented fighter, one of the best of all time.

He has a fighting style that first and foremost avoids risk. Plus you could say he chose the right fights at the right times towards the end of his career.

But realistically, no one around his weight was better than him.
                      ^^^^ basically this.

He just has a style that is incredibly difficult to beat, even if he doesn't win spectacularly. He did have some good matchmaking towards the end when he had the power to do it, but he did come through the proper way and take hard fights early on.

Basically he is just the best around his weight classes because he was stylistically hard to beat and there was nobody good enough to do it.

But look at those list of names on his record. To turn up for 49 fights always completely focused even through things like upcoming jail times, in great shape, never have an off-night, never walk into a shot and get KO'd etc. it's an incredible thing to do and almost impossible.

He just had a real knack for not losing...rather than a knack for going out and winning, if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X