• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 285kid View Post
    still talking about "a side" in a mandatory fight? Real the mandatory rules
    :anyword:

Comment

I can't see how anyone has an issue with what Floyd said here. He gave to get. Canelo gave to get. Kovalev gave to get. Bhop gave to get. Hagler gave to get. GGG can give to get.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this.

1. GGG has done nothing wrong. He makes weight, beats all the ranked contenders, defends his title and deserves a shot to become the middleweight champion of the world.

2. However, boxing isn't fair and all the greats had to give in at some point in their careers. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
          I have mixed feelings about this.

1. GGG has done nothing wrong. He makes weight, beats all the ranked contenders, defends his title and deserves a shot to become the middleweight champion of the world.

2. However, boxing isn't fair and all the greats had to give in at some point in their careers. It is what it is.
          in a perfect world it would happen at 160, in the real world he is going to gave to give to get sadly.

Canelo is gonna make good coin with or without him...GGG doesnt have many options

Comment

He's correct in the context he's speaking.

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Cotto, Canelo, Hopkins, Oscar....these guys all made a sacrifice to secure massive fights.

If GGG is only interested in the belts then I get his '160 only' stance, but if he's looking to get the big fights and become a major star, you have to be willing to sacrifice a little bit.

Comment

I agree. If boxing was purely a sport than sure it should take place at the standard MW limits, but since boxing is about entertainment & ticket sells + PPV sales sometimes the guys who sell less tickets or have less PPV sales need to bend more to make fights. I don't love that that is the reality, but that is the case like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                You're proving his point in your second paragraph. Canelo has a larger fan base, as you wrote. He's done bigger PPV's, bigger crowds and is therefore the A-side.

GGG doesn't have to do anything he doesn't feel obligated to. He can wait for Canelo to settle into mw until he's good and ready for the fight. But as it stands, he's going to have to make some sacrifices in order to make a big fight and right now he and his team appear content to take on subpar opp while hoping that big fight falls in their laps on their terms. Not likely, although I agree that this fight can be made at a reasonable 157.
                They're looking for that big payday for sure and it helps Canelo has that strap...
                155 is ridiculous for a middleweight championship fight...at least Cotto was a guy that was small and could probably make like 152 easily..GGG is not making 155 without consequences and that's exactly what Canelo and his team are hoping..

Canelo drops the title and they end up fighting next year at a catch weight anyway I bet...

Comment

Who cares what that has been has to say. He is worse than an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                    They're looking for that big payday for sure and it helps Canelo has that strap...
                    155 is ridiculous for a middleweight championship fight...at least Cotto was a guy that was small and could probably make like 152 easily..GGG is not making 155 without consequences and that's exactly what Canelo and his team are hoping..

Canelo drops the title and they end up fighting next year at a catch weight anyway I bet...
                    Yeah, I mean the belt doesn't matter. They want Canelo obviously and that's what it's about. But you gotta give ass to get it. And you have to make some sacrifices. So if you truly want the fight against an A-lister, that might mean dropping in weight. Or gaining weight. Mayweather had to do it. Pacquiao had to do it. Jones had to do it. Hopkins had to do it. The list goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      I can't see how anyone has an issue with what Floyd said here. He gave to get. Canelo gave to get. Kovalev gave to get. Bhop gave to get. Hagler gave to get. GGG can give to get.
                      I just have a problem with 155 for a MW title fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X