Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Boxing Fans criticise Pacquiao for his catchweight fights and accept that Ward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
    lol dude come on. seriously?

did it ever cross your mind, that, I dono, maybe, just MAYBE, pac shoulda just fought him at 147? people are complaining that a 145 catchweight was ridiculous (which it was), and your argument is "should pac have made cotto come down to 140, would that have been better?" even you cannot fail to see how idiotic this sounds. you dont even mention 147. why?

Yes it does, it also occurs to me that Ward should have fought Dawson at 175lbs

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
      Depends, is it for the Light Heavyweight title? If Ward wins is he going to boast around as if he is a true Light Heavyweight champion?
      So if the Cotto and Margarito fight were non-title fights you would have no problem with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        No Cotto said he would go no lower than 145. Cotto wanted the fight at 147. But you still do not get it I see.
        And Dawson would not prefer the fight at 175lb

Comment

No,

this is similar to Oscar-Pac. Oscar called Pac at 147. Dawson called Ward out at 168.

Pac-Cotto was similar to Whitaker-Chavez, which was also a catch-weight of 145...No one really had a problem back then. No one complained when Oscar-Hopkins fought at a catch-weight of 158 and Hopkins came in at 156 just to prove a point. Whitaker-Chavez same catch-weight as Pac-Cotto was for the lineal title, Pac-Cotto was for a paper title. Really nothing to complain about but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
            So if the Cotto and Margarito fight were non-title fights you would have no problem with them?
            I would have less of a problem, yes

Comment

Yes it does, it also occurs to me that Ward should have fought Dawson at 175lbs

yea he should of, and probly could of, and if chad wanted that then he should kept his mouth shut and not kept saying he woulda came down to 168 just to get the fight. apples and oranges. not at all the same as the pac - cotto situation, so dont try to justify and twist it to make it sound the same. Im sure theres people that'll be criticizing ward for it, but nowhere the amount of people that criticize pac for the cotto fight. pattern? i think it just might be...

Comment

And Dawson would not prefer the fight at 175lb
                You're either a little slow, or stupid apparently. Dawson asked for a Ward fight. Pacman asked for a Cotto fight. Cotto didn't look for Pacman & Pacman wanted the fight at 143 while Cotto would go no lower than 145. It really isn't hard to understand like you apparently for some odd reason cannot seem to comprehend. The entire tread is a failure & I'm done here.

Comment

This guy talking about double standards..........jesus christ.

Anyways, I don't like Dawson going to 168, but it's still a decent/solid fight. Would have preferred it at a good CW or if Ward had gone up to 175.

Never really criticized Pac's CW fights except the Oscar one, because Oscar hadn't weighed in at 145 in like 9 years, and because it was a really pointless fight at that point. Though you can't knock Pac too bad for taking that fight, it made him a mega-star.
                  Last edited by 4Corners; 06-01-2012, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                    No,

this is similar to Oscar-Pac. Oscar called Pac at 147. Dawson called Ward out at 168.

Pac-Cotto was similar to Whitaker-Chavez, which was also a catch-weight of 145...No one really had a problem back then. No one complained when Oscar-Hopkins fought at a catch-weight of 158 and Hopkins came in at 156 just to prove a point. Whitaker-Chavez same catch-weight as Pac-Cotto was for the lineal title, Pac-Cotto was for a paper title. Really nothing to complain about but whatever.
                    Exactly all parties in both fights agreed to these terms and signed the deal. Cotto weighed in 1 lb less in the Pac fight than the Clottey fight.

Cotto and Dawson I'm sure would have preferred to fight at 147 and 175 respectively in their fights, no one forced them into their fights.

Comment

[QUOTE=SpeedKillz;12193937]yea he should of, and probly could of, and if chad wanted that then he should kept his mouth shut and not kept saying he woulda came down to 168 just to get the fight. apples and oranges. not at all the same as the pac - cotto situation, so dont try to justify and twist it to make it sound the same. Im sure theres people that'll be criticizing ward for it, but nowhere the amount of people that criticize pac for the cotto fight. pattern? i think it just might be...[/QUOTE]

If the same people criticise both or don't fault either, then at least they are being consistent.

People that would crticise one and not the other show a real case of double standards.

Comment

Working...
                      X