No announcement yet.

Boxing & Guitar/Piano Hands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing & Guitar/Piano Hands

I don't think that either boxing or guitar playing compliment each other. I do exercises for my guitar and piano playing to make my hands limber and quick and then in boxing I beat the s*** out of them on the heavy bag and uppercut bags. I feel the punishment when I box because my hands feel tight and stiff after I am done.

I should mention that I use the Everlast Gel Wraps which are like a glove you put on instead of the regular hand wraps. This might be the culprit since the wraps are very tight fitting. I also use 16 oz. Cleto Reyes gloves but I will go up in glove size in order to protect my hands.

Does anybody have similar experiences? Any good advice is welcome.

Funny this, but I've played piano, Keyboard and drums even longer than I've done boxing (15-20 years).......and took up the guitar two years ago! Some of my best friends are keen musicians who are also martial artists and have to undertake the rigours of chi sow without any real impairment.

I can't say that even the most savage heavy bag work out has ever impaired my ability to play my instruments. I might just be lucky, but make sure you always warm up, stretch and cool down whatever you do. You might just find that your body adapts to both disciplines over time regardless.

Comment

it is really funny thing.play piano, cheap software buy cheap software Keyboard smart your mind.play box need a smart mind
      Last edited by qcd; 07-01-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

They're fine together unless you jam a knuckle or get carpal tunnel.

Enjoy, just don't wear your strap too low on the guitar, that ****ed my **** up. Now my hands/arms go numb periodically when i pick stuff up.

Typing on the keyboard (data entry and ****) is also terrible.

but other than that, you don't need to have delicate model hands to play guitar or piano, just don't let them get too swollen, and always wrap them for your boxing workout.

Comment

Working...
        X