Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just discovered that Cocoa Kid has finally been inducted into the HOF!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    A lot of people have been pushing to get Cocoa Kid inducted in the last few years. Perhaps that's why.

And I don't think Robinson left the arena but I think he was talked about being a replacment for one of his opponents and he didn't want to fight him.

He actually dropped Robinson in sparring, which has been confirmed.
    I thought he didn't fight that night? They just canceled the show? Maybe I'm mistaken and he fought someone else.

Cocoa Kid was past his best by that point though. I think SRR would have beaten him...But, SRR was one of the biggest diva in the history of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      I'm a little confused to his record. Boxrec and Wiki defer.
      Wiki
      Total fights 208
      Wins 156
      Wins by KO 84
      Losses 44
      Draws 8
      Box Rec
      won 189 (KO 110) + lost 46 (KO 9) + drawn 12 = 249

Any idea which one's correct?
      I imagine the Boxrec one will be the most accurate list out there.

No one knows his actual amount of loss's, some documented it was close to 60. But again I'd say the Boxrec one would be the most accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        I'm a little confused to his record. Boxrec and Wiki defer.
        Wiki
        Total fights 208
        Wins 156
        Wins by KO 84
        Losses 44
        Draws 8
        Box Rec
        won 189 (KO 110) + lost 46 (KO 9) + drawn 12 = 249

Any idea which one's correct?
        This one might be his more accurate record

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9418&cat=boxer

That's the same one that the IBHOF has.

Also there is question of Kid true identity and Nationality. He claimed to being Puerto Rican...But, there rumors he was Cuban. And, change his name and place of birth so he wouldn't get deported back to Cuba, like Kid Chocolate did when his visa expired. Not sure how true this is though.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
          I thought he didn't fight that night? They just canceled the show? Maybe I'm mistaken and he fought someone else.

Cocoa Kid was past his best by that point though. I think SRR would have beaten him...But, SRR was one of the biggest diva in the history of the sport.
          Hmm, I'm not sure.

I've read the Black Murderer's Row book and another similar one which focuses more on Cocoa Kid.

I know Robinson wasn't keen on fighting Cocoa Kid. Not sure about that story, I think NChristo might know.

Oh yeah, Robinson would have beat him.

He didn't duck Cocoa Kid like he did Charley Burley, but, at the time it came up he certainly wasn't keen on fighting him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Hmm, I'm not sure.

I've read the Black Murderer's Row book and another similar one which focuses more on Cocoa Kid.

I know Robinson wasn't keen on fighting Cocoa Kid. Not sure about that story, I think NChristo might know.

Oh yeah, Robinson would have beat him.

He didn't duck Cocoa Kid like he did Charley Burley, but, at the time it came up he certainly wasn't keen on fighting him.
            Tell that walking encyclopedia NChristo to get his ass in here.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              This one might be his more accurate record

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9418&cat=boxer

That's the same one that the IBHOF has.

Also there is question of Kid true identity and Nationality. He claimed to being Puerto Rican...But, there rumors he was Cuban. And, change his name and place of birth so he wouldn't get deported back to Cuba, like Kid Chocolate did when his visa expired. Not sure how true this is though.
              Cocoa Kid is just one big mystery I can't even tell what nationality he is by looking at him. More Cuban than Rican, though.

He sparred a lot with Kid Chocolate also.

Comment

The Kid fight with Robinson was suppose to happen on the 27th April 1949 and he was a replacement for Gene Burton, Robinson just didn't turn up too the arena stating that he wasn't getting paid enough to fight him, the fight was then rescheduled for May 24th and Robinson didn't turn up again, worth noting this is the same year Cocoa dropped him on Aug 20th, the Keed had Robinson shook for whatever reason.
                Last edited by NChristo; 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X