Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is higher on the ATG list: Floyd Mayweather (so far) or Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't posted or even lurked too much here for some time, but i saw this and had to put in my two cents. As a big big Floyd fan, it is Duran. You can make the case for Duran being a top 5 ATG. He is def in my top 10. Straight BEAST!

Comment

• Floyd and his fanboys put too much stock into his undefeated record. Takes more than being undefeated to define greatness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        Floyd and his fanboys put too much stock into his undefeated record. Takes more than being undefeated to define greatness.
        True, but where do we factor in bad losses or things like quitting with the wins? NSB always talks about resumes yet fails to truly evaluate the entire resume.

You can't just erase bad losses with a big win, it doesn't work like that. So kudos to Duran for all the great wins, especially SRL. But that doesn't erase the quitting to SRL nor the losses to Laing (and please spare me the "duran wasn't up for the fight justification) and Dejesus.

I have Duran ahead of Floyd but I would have loved to see them fight in their primes.
        Last edited by The Big Dunn; 09-14-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          Duran's record isn't tainted? Are you nuts!

Of course it is! It's one of the biggest stories in boxing history and had an huge effect on his entire career, how he was perceived then and now, and put him what would have been clear top five right up there at the top into around what is usually 7-15ish.

It does taint his record, but it also doesn't erase what he did do, and the fact that he has what is certainly among the very, very greatest wins in boxing history if not the single greatest win ever recorded.

No one else has ever done anything as good as that one win. Some come close, but few equal it. However his entire career was tainted, and it was seriously tainted then and still is now (hence you and most people bringing it up), it doesnt change that.

That doesn't even go into the rest of his record.

Floyd's brilliance lies in his consistency and his dedication to his craft, but he never did it against the greatest and that does hurt him a little bit when up against wins like Duran's vs Leonard. 20 years at the top will probably never be repeated in my opinion and Floyd is deserving of serious consideration for top ten when all will be said and done, but you can't get past him never equaling a win as great as what Duran did and that's what boxing comes down to. Who did you beat...We'll never know if Floyd could have done something like that or not. We do know Duran was able to and that's as good as it gets. But, what goes for Floyd (dedication, discipline etc) hurts Duran (he was a lazy bastard and stopped giving a **** apart from in a few fights in which he was not given any respect and what supposed to get his ass kicked).
          Funny guy the problem with Floyd is he didn't want to be great to many dam holes in his resume that is going to get picked a part and even with a nomas Duran is still greater then Floyd , you may trick may groupies into thinking may is top ten or greater than Duran but it's a fantasy. No boxing historian will ever rate Floyd higher then Duran or put Floyd in the top ten. With Floyd you have to make case for him but with Duran you don't need to make any case see the difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by DannyNL View Post
            Floyd Mayweather for sure. More skill and Floyd never got outboxed, never got knocked out in 2 rounds like a can, and he sure as hell never quit in the middle of a championship fight because of a tummy ache.

Duran was a great champion who had a lot of classic fights, but let's be honest: who did he beat at LW besides DeJesus, Buchanan, and maybe a couple others?
            He was clearly limited, he got completely outclassed numerous times by his peers.
            Did you just start watching boxing after the 2nd of May?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hiei View Post
              Duran...........it's not even remotely close
              ^ ^^^

This

Comment

• Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
                ^ ^^^

This
                I agree. And I have Pac on a par with Duran. Suck my @ss all of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
                  if you have duran and Manny on the same level then you have to have Floyd ahead of duran

Comment

• Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post

Comment

• It's Duran. It's any easy question to answer IMO.
                      Duran is a genuine top 10 ATG.

Comment

Working...
                      X