Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinion what is the state of Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how it is in some parts of the globe but from where I live it's been at an all time low. I started watching with a large circle of relatives and friends. Now I'm all alone. I canceled my subscriptions and discovered the world of streaming, out of necessity. I'll watch if they're available. Otherwise, I'm content reading who won/lost after the fight is over.

Comment

As long as we get the 1's vs. the 2's fighting each other when they should I'm OK. I'm only concerned with the best fighting the best. Over the past year or so we got these that have already happened or are scheduled.

Garcia/Matthysse
      Floyd/Canelo
      Canelo/Lara
      Rigondeaux/Donaire
      Chocolito/Yaegashi
      Wlad/Pulev

A lot of champions in these other divisions need to get their **** together. When boxing stops becoming about the best vs. the best, then its on its last leg.

Comment

Once Pacquiao, Mayweather, Cotto, JMM all step away...boxing will go through a struggle period for awhile unfortunately.

Reason why because the Sport Of Boxing don't have Loyal Fans, BOXERS DO! Look at this forum for example, 98% of the Threads are just full of negativity, it is absolutely no other sport in which their forums just talk bad about their sport and the athletes who participate in it.

Also think Networks, Boxing Media and Promotions all do just a **** job at promotion the sport they cover, their way of promotion is all out of date, they still using Commercials and Radio Ads which is just a waste of Money because people are watching everything online now, everybody is on Twitter and Instagram most of the day. I see fighters now interviewing with a lot of the youtube Boxing Channels which is smart but still I think GBP and Top Rank need YOUNGER GUYS which fresh and up to date ideas. UFC knows how to appeal to the younger crowd, they have Apps, have a App for your video game system, also have a popular video game, all these things taps into that younger demographic who will grow up UFC FANS so when they get older and start to work and make their money, guess what they will buy? UFC EVENTS! Boxing don't have any of this stuff. So because the SPORT itself really doesn't have a Loyal Fanbase, in the US at least, boxing will fall on tough times once their current top draws are done.

But outside of the US especially UK I think Boxing will be just fine and will continue to grow and flourish their, Americans might have to run and sign with Eddie Hearns in the future because the state of boxing in the US could be in serious trouble if Networks and Promotions don't start to work together.

Pacquiao vs Mayweather is something the sports NEEDS before they step away, put aside the silly crap and who fault is what, wash all of that past BS away and come together and give the fans at least that 1 Mega Event in which it is Pacquiao vs Mayweather as the Mainevent and on the undercard nothing but young talented guy who could possibly carry the torch once those two are done. Boxing owes that to its fans at least.
        Last edited by sicko; 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Funny thing is, don't know if it's coincidence or not, Haymon fighters started saying, "boxing is business." Even Broner, for the first time, echoed in his interview with Kenny what Peterson and Garcia have been mentioning, "boxing is business." They're happy getting hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, for fighting less risky fights. Who can blame them if you have Haymon aided by Espinosa acting like Santa Claus? The downside is meaningful fights are getting more and more expensive to make.

Comment

it's decreasing and falling rapidly.

i predict boxing will enter complete joke status/the realm of WWE in 2-3 years.

i'm almost done with boxing at this point and will probably start watching tennis. too many cowards in boxing.

Comment

My problem with this era is that its the reality tv boxing era. Too much hype not enough pay off. Fighters act like they are doing fans a favor when they fight someone they're supposed to be fighting. 147 is stacked right now but you wouldnt know it because most of these guys are looking for soft touches and claim greatness when they beat one person worth a damn. The big 2 need to go as well. Their presence just helps facilitate the problem. They are not going to fight eachother and are just wasting everyones time. Also how about the networks wait and see how a fighter does before they start telling us their the greatest thing since sliced bread.
              The fans are another issue. Too many nuthuggers for one fighter or another. Fans should be able to call bull**** when they see it. The "well he does it" should never be an excuse for any of them.
              Last edited by Shogunofharlem1; 08-11-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
                Funny thing is, don't know if it's coincidence or not, Haymon fighters started saying, "boxing is business." Even Broner, for the first time, echoed in his interview with Kenny what Peterson and Garcia have been mentioning, "boxing is business." They're happy getting hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, for fighting less risky fights. Who can blame them if you have Haymon aided by Espinosa acting like Santa Claus? The downside is meaningful fights are getting more and more expensive to make.
                Yeah I caught that as well, Peterson, Garcia and Broner saying "BOXING IS A BUSINESS" which it is but you have to accomplish something FIRST, it become a business once you reach and certain level and NEITHER of them should be in position to pick and choose fights based on just Money

Comment

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
                  My problem with this era is that its the reality tv boxing era. Too much hype not enough pay off. Fighters act like they are doing fans a favor when they fight someone they're supposed to be fighting. 147 is stacked right now but you wouldnt know it because most of these guys are looking for soft touches and claim greatness when they beat one person worth a damn. The big 2 need to go as well. Their presence just helps facilitate the problem. They are not going to fight eachother and are just wasting everyones time. Also how about the networks wait and see how a fighter does before they start telling us their the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                  The fans are another issue. Too many nuthuggers for one fighter or another. Fans should be able to call bull**** when they see it. The "well he does it" should never be an excuse for any of them.
                  This x1000. Fighters act like they're doing us a favor, and in turn, fans believe a fighter deserves extra credit for fighting top opposition. That's what we should expect from them! Fans are enablers, and that's the reason why we get cards like Garcia/Salka on premium cable. Fans will ***** and complain, but still tune in or buy tickets. The media will complain, but still cover the event. Jacobs/Fletcher was the best match-up, that's how bad the card was.

As of the OP, there's been good and bad like every year. My memory sucks, so I can't tell you which outweighs the other. I just try to look for the good. This week's FNF has a decent main event, and the Porter-Brook card is pretty good. Matts/Ortiz could be a barn-burner, N'Dam/Stevens will be interesting, Estrada-Segura will definitely be good and we got B-Hop/Kovalev.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 08-11-2014, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
                    that sounds exactly like a fighter we all know that turned down the biggest fight ever over drug testing and then turned down $40 mil (no ppv) so he could continue to make millions fighting lesser opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      that sounds exactly like a fighter we all know that turned down the biggest fight ever over drug testing and then turned down $40 mil (no ppv) so he could continue to make millions fighting lesser opponents.
                      That's recycled garbage. World knows who the established duck is. Floyd being a duck is general knowledge and been in world encyclopedias for a long time now. The guy who calls himself "Money" ducked the biggest money fight of all time. The embarrassing thing about it is he's the biggest roider in the sport. He still got no balls to fight the Pacman, who agreed to unlimited urine and 3 blood tests. VADA takes one blood test and they were catching cheats left and right. TMT fighters are getting caught left and right by mere urine. Pederson and Berto got caught by VADA by urine sample taken 3 months before the fight. Roidweather got away with 3 positive test results and still able to fool people. Keep fooling yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X