No announcement yet.

Top 10 most corrupt nations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    Meaningless list. There is no explanation on how these conclusions were made. Just read #10 Venezuela and it says they are corrupt but don't mention how they are corrupt or mention anything specific.
    The list is compiled by the Corruption Perception Index. I looked them up and apparently all they measure is how corrupt people 'percieve' their govt. to be through surveys...

Obviously its possible for a country to be corrupt without people realizing but in general the list is as you would expect.

I posted a link to the full list earlier on

Comment

Nevermimd, this is based on perception and survays are conducted by private organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        The list is compiled by the Corruption Perception Index. I looked them up and apparently all they measure is how corrupt people 'percieve' their govt. to be through surveys...

Obviously its possible for a country to be corrupt without people realizing but in general the list is as you would expect.

I posted a link to the full list earlier on
        The list means nothing. Venezuela is #10 in the entire world behind countries such as Cambodia and Libya? Not buying it.

Comment

The list means nothing. Venezuela is #10 in the entire world behind countries such as Cambodia and Libya? Not buying it.
          Why not? Venuzuela has lots of resources and a poor population, normally when that happens there is corruption somewhere in the system.

For a comparison Cuba (which is percieved in a very similar way to Venezuela as a state that looked to break ties with western powers and be more autonomous) does very well in the list coming up in the 50's.

Comment

Why not? Venuzuela has lots of resources and a poor population, normally when that happens there is corruption somewhere in the system.

For a comparison Cuba (which is percieved in a very similar way to Venezuela as a state that looked to break ties with western powers and be more autonomous) does very well in the list coming up in the 50's.
            Because places like Cambodia are massively corrupt, far more poor than Venezuela. They literally have former Khmer Rouge members running the country. This would be the equivalent of Nazi members bribing their way into German politics and getting away with attempted genocide.

Comment

where's russia? the philippiines? vietnam? mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
                Russia isnt that corrupt.
                Only outside the big cities corrupcy is a real problem, atleast thats what my family says.

Comment

Because places like Cambodia are massively corrupt, far more poor than Venezuela. They literally have former Khmer Rouge members running the country. This would be the equivalent of Nazi members bribing their way into German politics and getting away with attempted genocide.
                  But does Cambodia have massive reserves of natural gas and petroleum?

Corruption isnt a competition of whos poorest or who runs the country the worst. Its about bribing of officials and governments looking for private gain rather than effectively running the country. In countries where there is money flying around and little of it is reaching normal people it invariably suggests that somewhere the system is broken. Or at least the people will 'percieve' it to be.

I could conceivably run a genocidal government and have little to no corruption, or i could run a representative democracy and corruption could be rife

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
                    Russia is the lowest of the '1st world nations' depending on how you define the term (Ukraine is below it).

Mexico, Phillipines and Vietnam are mid to low table.

Comment

But does Cambodia have massive reserves of natural gas and petroleum?

Corruption isnt a competition of whos poorest or who runs the country the worst. Its about bribing of officials and governments looking for private gain rather than effectively running the country. In countries where there is money flying around and little of it is reaching normal people it invariably suggests that somewhere the system is broken. Or at least the people will 'percieve' it to be.

I could conceivably run a genocidal government and have little to no corruption, or i could run a representative democracy and corruption could be rife
                      In Cambodia if you want someone arrested you give the police money and they arrest that person. If you don't want to go to jail you give the police money. Whoever pays the most wins.

When I was there, there was a scandal involving government officials who set up child sex slaves for tourists, it was viewed as part of tourism despite publicly declaring a war on child sex slaves and prostitution. Some of these kids were as young as 5 years old. Everything about Cambodian government and politics is corrupt. Read about how government officials keep their jobs by literally buying them, often a check for $5,000 is good enough for a year.

And I won't even get into the religious scams involving Buddhist monks who steal money from the poor.
                      Last edited by ИATAS; 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X