No announcement yet.

Religulous is a glorious movie!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar-Mosley123 View Post
    If you go to wikepdia, Maher can be quoted as saying he definitely believes in a God which is the common misconception for folks that don't know that Maher is a theist, not an atheist. Theism is the belief in a deity or a Creator. Maher belives in a Creator as he has pointed out.

I am certainly not going to speak on another religion other than my own. And one should not attribute violence committed by the followers of a religion unto the entire religion itself nor should it be attributed to the founder of the religion and the original message unless its message condones and promotes violence.

When you say "religious" people... you are certainly generalizing a mass population that's in the billions. Not all religions are the same yet this movie simply portrays the opposite. It classifies all religion into one single group. It deems it "threatening" when only looking at a select few who cause violence in the name of their respective religion. Yet they ignore the fact that there are far more worshipers who shouldn't be grouped with other religious followers nor should be grouped with the small minority of dangerous people associated with their faith. It's nothing more than a nice cut and edit sequence. Anyone using the "Maher" technique and holding such a strong bias to one view can make any idea and issue they disagree with seem ridiculous.

Anyone can post anything on wikipedia, I'm just stating what the man has actually said. I doubt he said he believes in a god when in his movie and his stand ups he always says; "I don't know". You're right all religions are different and may not condone violence (although some actually do) but much violence has been commited in the name of these religions (the big 3; christianity, judaism, islam). Events such as the crusades (which were a series of religion-driven military campaigns waged by much of Christian Europe against external and internal opponents) and what is currently happenning in the middle east are attributed to religion. That may not be the message it wants to send but all this stuff just warps peoples mind imo(not all people but a lot). Of course there also many great people who are religous but why can't they be good people without a bible (or whatever else) in their hand? Is that the only way they can be good? The small minority of bad people you speak of that come with religion (whatever religion it may be) is a big price to pay imo. This small minority is putting government officials in important posts just because they share the same beliefs as them not because of their qualifications. In a sense I believe this is dumbing down the country. Not to mention the other crazy nutjobs that kill people and blow buildings up in the name of their religion.

Comment

You praise the movie that Maher made than you post this. This video questions the concept of a Creator. The Maher movie questions religion. Maher is not an atheist therefore his perception on the movie is not to question God's existence but rather to question religion.
      I question both funnily enough!

Comment

the argument works both ways, people are saying maher interviewed stupid and ignorant people to ridicule religion and didn't talk to the religious intellectuals!! However peole talk of 'athiests' such as Moa and Stalin in saying that athiesm doesnt neccessarily provide good governmants, however is it fair to say if an athiests was incharge they would create a cult and murder everyone who undermined or questioned their dictatorship rule?!! I would not associate any belief with these men, as they were a cult and they believed in their own individual superiority-unfair to compare most athiest to Moa and Stalin same way it is unfair to compare just any muslim with violence and terror!!

Comment

Originally posted by raabd View Post
          Anyone can post anything on wikipedia, I'm just stating what the man has actually said. I doubt he said he believes in a god when in his movie and his stand ups he always says; "I don't know". You're right all religions are different and may not condone violence (although some actually do) but much violence has been commited in the name of these religions (the big 3; christianity, judaism, islam). Events such as the crusades (which were a series of religion-driven military campaigns waged by much of Christian Europe against external and internal opponents) and what is currently happenning in the middle east are attributed to religion. That may not be the message it wants to send but all this stuff just warps peoples mind imo(not all people but a lot). Of course there also many great people who are religous but why can't they be good people without a bible (or whatever else) in their hand? Is that the only way they can be good? The small minority of bad people you speak of that come with religion (whatever religion it may be) is a big price to pay imo. This small minority is putting government officials in important posts just because they share the same beliefs as them not because of their qualifications. In a sense I believe this is dumbing down the country. Not to mention the other crazy nutjobs that kill people and blow buildings up in the name of their religion.
          If you don't want to take it from wikipedia than take it from Maher himself. It come at approximately at 2:10 of this video.

You bring up the crusades and I don't deny that it was bloody, costly and all that but again, the acts of the followers of a religion do not speak for the religion itself nor the founder of the religion. Anyone can attribute violence to a religion if they see a group of Christians killing other religious followers of another faith but it's in the message of the religion (scripture) and the founder where the true aspect of the religion comes from.

Religion to some may be beneficial not only spiritually but also culturally. Christianity in many ways helped preserve my people's identity and ensured that they did not get mixed up with Arabs, Kurds, Persians, Turks and all the other ethnicities around the Middle East. It helped with our survival when it was being expanded thousands of years ago. Although we were endangered and massacred by the many non-Christians in and around the Middle East, we maintained the survival of our heritage through Christianity and through a different religious and cultural identity than the rest.

Not only that but if religion can helps someone out spiritually, mentally and physically then who's someone like Dawkins or Maher to say that what they believe is "ridiculous"?

Comment

Originally posted by AKOINDAMATRIX View Post
            I question both funnily enough!
            I know but you're praising a movie which a theist, Bill Maher made and you're forgetting the message of the movie isn't about God but about religion. There's a difference. You can praise the movie for speaking about religion but you can't praise it for questioning God when that's not its intent...

Comment

If you don't want to take it from wikipedia than take it from Maher himself. It come at approximately at 2:10 of this video.

You bring up the crusades and I don't deny that it was bloody, costly and all that but again, the acts of the followers of a religion do not speak for the religion itself nor the founder of the religion. Anyone can attribute violence to a religion if they see a group of Christians killing other religious followers of another faith but it's in the message of the religion (scripture) and the founder where the true aspect of the religion comes from.

Religion to some may be beneficial not only spiritually but also culturally. Christianity in many ways helped preserve my people's identity and ensured that they did not get mixed up with Arabs, Kurds, Persians, Turks and all the other ethnicities around the Middle East. It helped with our survival when it was being expanded thousands of years ago. Although we were endangered and massacred by the many non-Christians in and around the Middle East, we maintained the survival of our heritage through Christianity and through a different religious and cultural identity than the rest.

Not only that but if religion can helps someone out spiritually, mentally and physically then who's someone like Dawkins or Maher to say that what they believe is "ridiculous"?
              I'll make this short cause I have new years eve party to go to. You actually made my point for me with the bill maher video. You can't deny nor accept the existence of a god because the whole point is that we don't know (by this I mean according to bill maher). For all we know there MIGHT be a god BUT what maher is basically saying is if you're basing your belief of god on religion, church, bible etc. you are fooling yourself because they can't be proven. I have no problem with religion at all as long as it doesn't affect the progress of society but unfortunately I do believe it is holding us back. You say who is bill maher to say someones faith is ridiculous, well I've heard a lot of religous people tell other's they are going to hell because they don't believe what they do. Who are they to say that? In the end as long as religion doesn't interfere with anything I'm all good, but it usually does. I apologize If I offended you in any way. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get wasted. Happy New Year!

Comment

that bill maher clip is great

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  Anyone else see it?!
                  Great flick...

Puts religion into realistic perspective and questions tradition.

Definitely recommend to anyone religious or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X