No announcement yet.

Hello everyone Im Terry and I need help on training for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone Im Terry and I need help on training for boxing

Im Terry and im studying in college right now. Im studying in medical field and is planning to get a phd in the future. Although im more like a weaker guy and i dont have much time in a day, i really admire boxers and really wanted to be one since i was really young. Now i got into a boxing gym and started training but due to my college, i can only sacrifice my weekend (friday, saturday and sunday) to go to boxing gym to train for 3 hours each day. However i really want to be a good boxer, not just getting a good body shape or whatever but actually be able to survive or even win a fight in the ring. So im wondering what to train for my monday to thursday, because i can squeeze out 30 mins each day after school and can also wake up earlier on tuesday and thursday morning. Here is my routine i am doing right now:
    M T W R: 6 different crunches targeting my upper lower abs and my obliques, 50reps or more each kind, totally 300 or more. light dumbbells (5 pounds) targeting biceps, triceps, back and shoulders on both sides, 1 round for each muscle group. (im a weak guy so i dont know wht should i do to build more strength speed and endurance, im really confused abt using free weight or bodyweight for exercising my muscles) and end it with 50 squats (bodyweight)
    T R: Get up earlier in the morning, do some roadwork, 15 mins jogging and then 4 rounds interval running and then 5 mins jogging to end it.
    F Sat Sun: Boxing gym routine: 5 rounds jumping rope 5 rounds shadow boxing with light weight for boxing basics 5 rounds heavy bag work 2 rounds slip bag works 3 rounds slip string works (im doing slip bag n slip string due to the double end bag in my gym is broken) 300 crunches and then this is the end of my day if my coach doesnt tell me to spar with anyone.

This is all the exercises im doing here but i want some opinions on making my routines better because i dont know should i keep forcusing on my conditioning on non-boxing gym days and i should use free weights or body weights or should i get a resistance band n shadow box with it to improve my boxing skills and footwork. I ll love to hv a routine plan that i can simply add up the reps or weight to change from beginner to advance level later on if i m more stronger or doing better on boxing as i think ill keep on with boxing for long long time. So please help me out here and thank you so much.

P.S. sorry for my bad english, its not really my major language.

Lots of shadow boxing

Hey, On your gym days aka weekends learn techniques and and on m-thur. work on what you learned on the weekends by doing alot of repeat work. ALWAYS do alot of shadow boxing at high speeds. To increase speed. Do alot of cardio. I recommend doing light weights nothing to heavy and at fast reps.

Comment

Hey, On your gym days aka weekends learn techniques and and on m-thur. work on what you learned on the weekends by doing alot of repeat work. ALWAYS do alot of shadow boxing at high speeds. To increase speed. Do alot of cardio. I recommend doing light weights nothing to heavy and at fast reps.
      So shadow boxing with light weights + light weight training > conditioning all times + and conditioning with body weights?

Comment

Originally posted by terryfist View Post
        Now i got into a boxing gym and started training but due to my college, i can only sacrifice my weekend (friday, saturday and sunday) to go to boxing gym to train for 3 hours each day. However i really want to be a good boxer
        Try to find time to shadow box lightly during breaks in college, no sweat and stuff. Just work in single punches, or defense, or movement. Sure you can find 3-5 minutes every 2 hours to do it

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
          Try to find time to shadow box lightly during breaks in college, no sweat and stuff. Just work in single punches, or defense, or movement. Sure you can find 3-5 minutes every 2 hours to do it
          Sure i can, but i hv another questions becuz people start to tell me to forcus on my shadow boxing. So what about my strength training cuz im a weaker guy, is two days a week for doing some strength training is enough or too much? I was recommended to train my strength by body weight like push ups n pull ups.

Comment

I think youre better off practicing techniques rather than doing calisthenics on your days off the gym, bro. If you want to be a fighter like you say you do. You'll still get your body work out since boxing is obvious a very repetitious all body work out.

All that 6 different forms of crunches and what not isnt gonna help with combat.

Since you have 30 minutes I would do step and jabs, for a couple of rounds, work out in 3 minute intervals (one round).

2 rounds jump rope
            2 rounds step and jabs (Step foward, throw your jab as foot is coming down)
            2 rounds side steps in circles and do a squat/bob every time you change direction
            2 rounds shadow boxing

One minute break inbetween each round.

Do 25 pushups in your minute break. Do it for the first 4 breaks so you get 100 in. Then for the remaining 4 breaks do 25 sit ups, that way you get your core/arm/chest calisthenics. Youll be getting the ones for your legs while youre doing your squats/bobs.

Youre guaranteed a intense work out while doing technique related drills. Then once you go to the gym youll have your technique on point more also, faster improvement.

Your gym routine needs much, much more variety. Is that what your trainer has you do or are you just doing that on your own? Remember, you can always ask him what to do next, no need to be shy.

You might be getting a lot of time in but it doesnt seem like youre learning much.

This was roughly my 2 hour routine

3 Rounds Jump Rope
            2 Rounds steps
            2-3 rounds side steps
            Run a half mile
            2 Rounds step and jab
            2 Rounds shadow box
            4 Rounds heavy bag
            2 Rounds Slip bag
            2-3 Rounds ring drill work (combinations)

Relax after my routine is done, and finish up with calisthenics, pushups, sit ups, or pullups at the end. Of course there are many many variations you can do.

The step and jab is very important as simple as it seems. It teaches you foot work and how to use your most important punch, and gets you in the habit of it. Nothing is more important in boxing than the stance/foot work and jab.

In terms of your weak strength you keep referring to, it doesnt matter. The more you keep doing your routines the more youll work out your muscles and build explosive strength/speed through out your whole body.

And remember, technique is always number one. Without technique, you cant be a boxer. Its always the fighter with better technique that will always win.
            Last edited by Layzie Kidd; 09-11-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
              I think youre better off practicing techniques rather than doing calisthenics on your days off the gym, bro. If you want to be a fighter like you say you do. You'll still get your body work out since boxing is obvious a very repetitious all body work out.

All that 6 different forms of crunches and what not isnt gonna help with combat.

Since you have 30 minutes I would do step and jabs, for a couple of rounds, work out in 3 minute intervals (one round).

2 rounds jump rope
              2 rounds side steps in circles and do a squat/bob every time you change direction
              2 rounds shadow boxing

Do 25 pushups in your minute break. Do it for the first 4 breaks so you get 100 in. Then for the remaining 4 breaks do 25 sit ups, that way you get your core/arm/chest calisthenics. Youll be getting the ones for your legs while youre doing your squats/bobs.

Youre guaranteed a intense work out while doing technique related drills. Then once you go to the gym youll have your technique on point more also, faster improvement.

Your gym routine needs much, much more variety. Is that what your trainer has you do or are you just doing that on your own? Remember, you can always ask him what to do next, no need to be shy.

You might be getting a lot of time in but it doesnt seem like youre learning much.

3 Rounds Jump Rope
              2 Rounds steps
              2-3 rounds side steps
              Run a half mile
              2 Rounds step and jab
              2 Rounds shadow box
              4 Rounds heavy bag
              2 Rounds Slip bag

Relax after my routine is done, and finish up with calisthenics, pushups, sit ups, or pullups at the end. Of course there are many many variations you can do.

The step and jab is very important as simple as it seems. It teaches you foot work and how to use your most important punch, and gets you in the habit of it. Nothing is more important in boxing than the stance/foot work and jab.

In terms of your weak strength you keep referring to, it doesnt matter. The more you keep doing your routines the more youll work out your muscles and build explosive strength/speed through out your whole body.

And remember, technique is always number one. Without technique, you cant be a boxer. Its always the fighter with better technique that will always win.
              Wow! Thx so much for the routine for my home workout, ill try it out for real. And for ur question about my gym's routine..yeah my coach told me to do that routine but ill think about changing it for working more on my skills. Thx a lot though..

Comment

Im Terry and im studying in college right now. Im studying in medical field and is planning to get a phd in the future. Although im more like a weaker guy and i dont have much time in a day, i really admire boxers and really wanted to be one since i was really young. Now i got into a boxing gym and started training but due to my college, i can only sacrifice my weekend (friday, saturday and sunday) to go to boxing gym to train for 3 hours each day. However i really want to be a good boxer, not just getting a good body shape or whatever but actually be able to survive or even win a fight in the ring. So im wondering what to train for my monday to thursday, because i can squeeze out 30 mins each day after school and can also wake up earlier on tuesday and thursday morning. Here is my routine i am doing right now:
                M T W R: 6 different crunches targeting my upper lower abs and my obliques, 50reps or more each kind, totally 300 or more. light dumbbells (5 pounds) targeting biceps, triceps, back and shoulders on both sides, 1 round for each muscle group. (im a weak guy so i dont know wht should i do to build more strength speed and endurance, im really confused abt using free weight or bodyweight for exercising my muscles) and end it with 50 squats (bodyweight)
                T R: Get up earlier in the morning, do some roadwork, 15 mins jogging and then 4 rounds interval running and then 5 mins jogging to end it.
                F Sat Sun: Boxing gym routine: 5 rounds jumping rope 5 rounds shadow boxing with light weight for boxing basics 5 rounds heavy bag work 2 rounds slip bag works 3 rounds slip string works (im doing slip bag n slip string due to the double end bag in my gym is broken) 300 crunches and then this is the end of my day if my coach doesnt tell me to spar with anyone.

This is all the exercises im doing here but i want some opinions on making my routines better because i dont know should i keep forcusing on my conditioning on non-boxing gym days and i should use free weights or body weights or should i get a resistance band n shadow box with it to improve my boxing skills and footwork. I ll love to hv a routine plan that i can simply add up the reps or weight to change from beginner to advance level later on if i m more stronger or doing better on boxing as i think ill keep on with boxing for long long time. So please help me out here and thank you so much.

P.S. sorry for my bad english, its not really my major language.
                Well to get better at boxing there really is nothing you can do except box. that said with 9 hours a week you should be ok. If you really want to get in shape i know the current internet concensus is that sprints are great, but alot of the coaches that have looked into the physiological effects of training say that long slow steady state conditioning is the best. I personally do a few 3 hour bike rides a week and they seem to be helping. look at Joel Jamiesons work for a start in the right direction. Sprints are most usefull in the weeks leading up to a fight when you taper

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post

2 rounds jump rope
                  2 rounds shadow boxing

3 Rounds Jump Rope
                  2 Rounds steps
                  2-3 rounds side steps
                  Run a half mile
                  2 Rounds step and jab
                  2 Rounds shadow box
                  4 Rounds heavy bag
                  2 Rounds Slip bag

I hv a quick question..you told me to side steps for 2 rounds...i wanna ask side steps in boxing stance or those side steps u r doing when u r circling the ring?

Comment

Wow! Thx so much for the routine for my home workout, ill try it out for real. And for ur question about my gym's routine..yeah my coach told me to do that routine but ill think about changing it for working more on my skills. Thx a lot though..
                    No problem, glad to help.

Seems like you need to take it upon yourself to take the responsibility to watch yourself.

Throw in your variety. Just make sure you listen to him when he gives you advice about stance, how to throw a punch, foot work, and bad habits like dropping your hands. For those things you absolutely need a trainer for. For the drills if they arent give you much you can always manage that yourself.

I hv a quick question..you told me to side steps for 2 rounds...i wanna ask side steps in boxing stance or those side steps u r doing when u r circling the ring?
                    In terms of the side steps, find a open space as big as a small ring, you go around in a circle side stepping, you dont have to be in stance. Because when youre not itll work out both of your leg muscles needed to side step evenly. Just make sure you notice your foot work when youre doing it. Meaning if your going left that your left foot moves first followed by your right foot. If youre going right your right foot goes first followed by your left. And make sure that your feet dont get too close together.

Comment

Working...
                    X