No announcement yet.

Pain in shoulder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in shoulder

I did a heavy bag workout the other day and then ran for 2 miles when I started to develop a pain in my shoulder in front of my ball joint. Could improper hitting cause something similar?

Originally posted by Doggpound View Post
    I did a heavy bag workout the other day and then ran for 2 miles when I started to develop a pain in my shoulder in front of my ball joint. Could improper hitting cause something similar?
    Yes. I'd guess that you are hitting the bag with a lot of arm punches. Is this your left arm (since nobody believes in drowning southpaws any more I guess I should say "Is it your jabbing arm?") ? A lot of people have a tendency to lift the elbow when they jab, let it flare out. This breaks the line of the body and thus you are jabbing only with the arm and it puts a lot of stress on on the shoulder. Same thing if you are hooking and not getting your weight turned.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      Yes. I'd guess that you are hitting the bag with a lot of arm punches. Is this your left arm (since nobody believes in drowning southpaws any more I guess I should say "Is it your jabbing arm?") ? A lot of people have a tendency to lift the elbow when they jab, let it flare out. This breaks the line of the body and thus you are jabbing only with the arm and it puts a lot of stress on on the shoulder. Same thing if you are hooking and not getting your weight turned.
      It is my right straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggpound View Post
        It is my right straight.
        I had a cousin with a similar issue. He was right handed and he used to throw the straight right at an odd angle. Like, he'd dip his hand a little lower to land with the top part of the first 2 knuckles and lift his elbow a bit too much. He hurt both his elbow and shoulder since he'd snap the arm/shoulder into position and it would become an arm punch. It was strange to say the least. Are you maybe snapping your shoulder too much as you throw it? Some people snap the shoulder into it instead of twisting into it since some people think it's a similar sensation of putting more weight to their punches.

That's really the only thing I can think of. I've personally only hurt my wrist and elbow once by over extending my arm like a dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
          A lot of people have a tendency to lift the elbow when they jab, let it flare out. This breaks the line of the body and thus you are jabbing only with the arm and it puts a lot of stress on on the shoulder..
          A1 words there.

To the thread starter I say, Rub Some Dirt in it Kid and Get Back Out There..........Rockin'

Comment

This is a common problem I see all the time at the gym but no one listen to the coach when we tell you warm up before you start training. Specially beginners because boxing uses muscles that you are not accustom to using. This is why its important to start with the basic fundamentals while developing/strengthening these small muscles like in your shoulders. Now you just have to see how much damage you have caused herself. Try icing it first to reduce any inflammation and let it rest. If it gets better, then warm up and stretch before starting to train. If it doesn't get better after a few days, see a doctor.

Comment

Well the pain in shoulder is severe which is caused by heavy weight . I would suggest you to consult with your doctor because it might create problem in your ball joint later on . Your consultant would give you proper treatment and also suggest you what remedial measurements should be taken .

Comment

You can have the same problem with the right as I mentioned above in regards to the left. If you left your elbow to "aim" the right, you aren't getting your body into the punch and you'll be hitting the bag with just the arm and shoulder. You want to get your hip turned into it.
                Also, be careful about hitting the bag as it swings directly towards you, especially if you are hitting the thing with an arm punch. Really really a lot of strain on the shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                X