Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Many Entrants in Canelo Sweepstakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
    Hi, I'm David.

Stevenson is the lone boxer on that card "from" Quebec, and he's essentially out of Montreal and not Quebec City, where this card was held. This was his first card in Quebec City, and he drew that number. This is also the first year in which Stevenson's really begun to break out as a star, and not just a prospect. Despite that, in his first fight after beating Chad Dawson, against a fighter coming off a loss in Tavoris Cloud — and in Montreal, where Lucian Bute is king first followed by Jean Pascal — Stevenson drew 9,122.

That will only grow.

Contrast that with Judah-Malignaggi, which had two guys from Brooklyn, had the fight in Brooklyn, had tickets between $25 and $250, had three world title bouts on the undercard, had the main event between two guys admittedly on the decline in their careers but otherwise with good name recognition, and it still sold nearly 4,000 fewer tickets than Judah's fight with Danny Garcia.

That's also less than Danny Garcia vs. Erik Morales, Broner-Malignaggi and Hopkins-Cloud. Judah-Malignaggi had the smallest announced attendance of the five cards held at Barclays Center.

Meanwhile, a guy like Fernando Guerrero was selling 5,000 to 6,000 tickets in the sparsely populated chicken farm area of the Eastern Shore of Maryland, while Judah and Malignaggi do less than 10,000 in a metropolitan area of 20 million.

As I wrote, it's a decent figure for boxing in the United States, but it's fair to think that it should've done more.
    Great points.... also lol at Guerrero almost getting ko'd in his last fight and chicken farm

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
      Hi, I'm David.
      lol

My fault. Sorry, should have read the byline more carefully.

Neither Judah nor Malignaggi are world champions and the BK card was filled with guys that are notoriously "boring" fighters: Lara, Devon Alexander, Trout.

Yet despite that they they outsold the Stevenson and Kovalev and Lemieux card. That's not bad at all.

Give Brooklyn a better card with better headliners and I bet it does even bigger numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        lol

My fault. Sorry, should have read the byline more carefully.

Neither Judah nor Malignaggi are world champions and the BK card was filled with guys that are notoriously "boring" fighters: Lara, Devon Alexander, Trout.

Yet despite that they they outsold the Stevenson and Kovalev and Lemieux card. That's not bad at all.

Give Brooklyn a better card with better headliners and I bet it does even bigger numbers.
        Fair points in that these three title fights were known ahead of time to not be box office draws. People know that Bika makes for ugly fights, though thankfully he and Dirrell gave us some fun.

The real question, btw, is how many tickets both the Quebec City and NYC shows actually sold. "Announced attendance" doesn't necessarily equal sales, and they aren't audited figures.

Comment

Ginger shouldnt be on ppv as a headliner unless its against Cotto, with Cotto being the A-side. Golden Boy is trying to make him and Broner ppv stars...i hope they fail!

Comment

Originally posted by PETUFF View Post
            alvarez will ko kirland??????hahaha ha what you be smoking lately haha nycsmooth ????alvarez don't stand a chance againts kirland....do the math?tapia 23 years old!! stronger than canelo beat up by kirkland and send to the hospital
            2011, Kirkland faced Nobuhiro Ishida of Japan, in what was supposed to be a stay-busy fight for Kirkland. However, in a stunning upset, the previously undefeated Kirkland was stopped in the first round by the Japanese fighter, who isn't known for being a big puncher having only 7 KO's in 29 fights, getting knocked down 3 times...... ENOUF SAID SAID

Comment

I don't see how Danny Garcia should be in the fighter of the year consideration when he beat a waaaaaaaaaaay past his prime Zab who he went life and death with. Getting the nod over Lucas was good but other than that Stevenson has done better by quantity if nothing else. Now avenging a defeat, beating a shell shocked Dawson and Cloud who just came off a boxing lesson to B-hop aint the greatest on the list but I give that more credit than Garcias 1 good fight.

Comment

canelo better hide!!kirkland ,lara and cotto will beat his assbetter hide bicht

Comment

He's not hiding from Cotto.

Comment

Dear Mr. David,
                    Kirkland is currently with 50 Cent who I don't think GBP works with.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                      Dear Mr. David,
                      Kirkland is currently with 50 Cent who I don't think GBP works with.
                      Indeed. Here's what I wrote in this week's column:

The largest obstacle to Kirkland facing a Golden Boy fighter is the question of whether Floyd Mayweather — who had a falling out with 50 Cent — would object to any collaboration between his current business partner (Golden Boy) and his former friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X