No announcement yet.

Did mark breland reach his potential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did mark breland reach his potential?

I remember he was a very highly touted amateur. He had a respectful pro career. Did he reach his potential?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I remember he was a very highly touted amateur. He had a respectful pro career. Did he reach his potential?
    I think so. He was one of the greatest amateurs but that style doesn't always translate to the pro's. Very respectable career though.

Comment

Even though he had an outstanding record and held world titles, I feel Breland somewhat underachieved. He always seemed stiff as a pro compared to when he was one of the best amateurs ever. Very classy guy who never made excuses.

Comment

Like alot of great amateurs he was great for several rounds. The longer the fight went though, the more he fell off. Thats why when guys tell me Stevenson could beat Ali I laugh. Tefilio might have been winning after 6 rounds but during rounds 10-15 he would have been destroyed. What happens in the amateurs, stays in the amateurs.

Comment

NO, Mark did not.

Comment

Mark Breland's main problem was that he was from Brooklyn. Name me one Brooklyn fighter that fullfiled his potential or lived up to expectation. And I cant stress this enough boxers from Brooklyn just naturally dont have stamina

Comment

Originally posted by DBSLM View Post
              Mark Breland's main problem was that he was from Brooklyn. Name me one Brooklyn fighter that fullfiled his potential or lived up to expectation. And I cant stress this enough boxers from Brooklyn just naturally dont have stamina

floyd patterson was a brooklynite, but he was born in the carolinas.

Comment

I think he did very well for himself! He had a long amatuer career but I think he lost interest as his pro career moved forward. Theres a total commitment thats needed in the pros and I think Mark just had enough! Some of these guys started when they were 11 years old so at 26 they have 15 years involved! He lost a few fights, all to quality opponents and I can't remember him being stopped! I thought he did great and was highly successful. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by DBSLM View Post
                  This is an ignorant statement, however the answer is absolutely NOT! Breland was given the can't miss tag before the Olympics and after he won gold he was viewed as a future ATG/HOF er. While he certainly had some success as a pro, he never approched this status and with the god given talent he had, he never reached his potential. It seemed like he just didn't have a fighters heart

Comment

[QUOTE=Boxing Bob;12902778]This is an ignorant statement, however the answer is absolutely NOT! Breland was given the can't miss tag before the Olympics and after he won gold he was viewed as a future ATG/HOF er. While he certainly had some success as a pro, he never approched this status and with the god given talent he had, he never reached his potential. It seemed like he just didn't have a fighters hea

Explain how this is an Ignorant statement please then I will reubuddle

Comment

Working...
                    X