No announcement yet.

We need some super six tournaments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need some super six tournaments

the best fighting the best, the essence of competitive sport as opposed to the annoying non moving stand offs we have between fighters, promoters, 'advisors', networks etc.

this year we witnessed something that surprised everyone seemingly impossible, a top rank HBO fighter finally getting the fight made with a haymon SHO fighter, in a joined effort. some people credit a guy seemingly more powerful that all of them, CBS president Leslie Moonves with getting that fight made....

so the question is, could that clout be leveraged again to get some sort of tournament going again. the SMW super six was organised by showtime so something Moonves has already 'hosted'. that was back in 09-11 and crowned Andre Ward lineal champ. not without is controversy but still, we got best v best.

Seeing so many divisions in need of a competition like this, the cold wars need something or someone bigger than all of them to get it done, question is, could we get a super six again... starting with super bantam, welterweight, middleweight and light heavy! be interesting to see what six fighters they'd choose, and how? ring magazine top 6? a mix of champs and prospects?

just to know something like this was in the making would be such a relief
    Last edited by TheCleaner; 07-20-2015, 02:13 PM.

yeah but it has to be better than the last one. That took 2 years was it? several cancellations, some of the better names dropping out...we need it to be quick, intriguing and without a drop in quality. That can only happen with in house, single promoter fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      yeah but it has to be better than the last one. That took 2 years was it? several cancellations, some of the better names dropping out...we need it to be quick, intriguing and without a drop in quality. That can only happen with in house, single promoter fighters.
      I agree, and it has all the potential to be far better, though getting anything less than 2 years is sadly unlikely with today's 2 fights a year standard.

Comment

it can be done again.... problem is that EACH promoter doesn't want their guy losing to the other promoter's guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCleaner View Post
          I agree, and it has all the potential to be far better, though getting anything less than 2 years is sadly unlikely with today's 2 fights a year standard.
          Well, say they do a welter tourney which excludes May/Pac.

Most other guys fight 3 times a year, the tourney could easily be helped, barring any injuries and cancellations. Khan fights 3 times a year, Brook does, Porter may, Thurman needs to etc.

I could see it working theoretically but of course, the money required would be far more than what was needed previously.

Comment

A super EIGHT elimination tournament would be better.

And ALL fighters need to travel to other countries, no more selfish prima donnas like Andre Ward who demand home advantage for all their fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
              A super EIGHT elimination tournament would be better.

And ALL fighters need to travel to other countries, no more selfish prima donnas like Andre Ward who demand home advantage for all their fights.
              I agree an elimination tournament is far superior. A round robin tournament in boxing takes too long & it can hurt a division. Locking up the best 6 guys for a year & the best 4 guys for the better part of two years is brutal for a division & brutal for the top guys left out of the tournament.

If the HBO HW tournament back in the day had been a round robin Super Six style tournament Tyson had been left holding his dick til late 1988/early 1989 instead of showing he could compete with the best of the division.

Hell its some crazy scifi alternate reality kinda ****, but if that tournament was a round robin format & Tyson was left out of it we might not even have seen Tyson's HW reign cuz all that free time waiting for a title fight might have gotten him into some Ike Ibeabuchi type ****ery that put him away for a decade or two with how crazy he was around that time.

As far as where people fight I don't give a damn. I think that should be all ironed out ahead of schedule though & not played by ear as I believe it was with the Super Six. I'm definitely pro having some "home" & "away" games for fighters, but then again if it makes sense for the whole tournament to go down in Vegas & a fighter happens to be a Vegas native its whatever to me.

Comment

Working...
              X