Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Foster said him and Ali sparred as amateur's andf he knocked Ali out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foster is only 3 years older than Ali, so I find it highly doubtful. Though perhaps a 20 year old Bob got lucky against a green LHW AM version of Ali. Then again, Ali turned pro before Bob, so yeah, highly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Never heard it and would have to see a link to even comment on it. I do that know that Ali was a teen age light heavyweight in the amateurs and Foster was four years older.

This is one of the best and most complete interviews I've ever seen with Foster that I saved from a few years ago. He never mentioned anything about that so I have my doubts.

http://www.newmexicoboxing.com/histo...bobfoster.html
      green k sent

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
        Bob said you could of counted to 20 and ali would not of made it up. Your thoughts on this? foster did have freakis punching power, and in the early days ali didnt have the chin he went on to show late in his career
        During his commentary on the Ali-Foster fight, Reg Gutteridge mentions that they fought as amateurs, and that Foster knocked him down with a left hook, which I find much more plausible than a KO. Remember Ali himself was an amateur light-heavy and won Olympic gold at that weight, so it's likely that their paths crossed. In an interview a few years back Foster said he felt Ali should have been bumped up to heavyweight at the Olympics, allowing him to take his place at light-heavy and give America another good shot at gold. Like all these things, it's possible the story has just become more embellished over the years.

Comment

Working...
        X